Leon FR TDI 184

Jacey Boy

Mar 10, 2004
Bournemouth, Dorset
Hi Guys, having sold our old 170 PD FR TDi which suffered the dpf issues we are looking at the new shape and wonder if these suffer the same?, I hope not as its a cleaner burning engine?

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
the PD's were never designed for DPF's and I see many quotes saying a DPF equipped PD is one to avoid. Didn't they also have oil pump and injector issues?

Anyhoos, the later CR engines were always designed to work with a DPF.
I did 54K miles in my Ibiza CR140 and 20K miles so far in the Leon 184 with no dpf issues *touches wood*

Saying that if your dpf issues were caused by short, town journeys then the newer engine will probably suffer just as much.

psychobob

Oct 6, 2005
Near Cardiff
Had my FR184 for just over 3 1/2 years and covered just over 50000 miles. No issues - touch wood.

Regen happens fairly regularly and its still only £20 tax :)

adstalker

Nov 5, 2010
Darlington
My 184 FR is 3 1/2 at the end of the month and covered 80000 miles with no DPF issues. The car goes to the other half on 1st March, so long may it continue without an isues (fingers crossed, touvhing wood etc.)

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
If you aren't doing big miles, would the 1.4 150bhp petrol not be a better option?

seatram

Sep 8, 2017
Ilkeston
Yeah, always go for petrol if you predominately do short journeys, diesel will just hurt your car if you don't give the engine long journeys

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My regular commute in a 184 is less than 5 miles ( Office moved not long after I bought it )

It gets better runs at the weekend and occasionally I need to go for a drive to finish off a regen.

Apart from a headlight not self levelling issue - it has not missed a beat in 3 years.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
No she couldn't have only 150bhp, we are used to the torque of Diesel, so it seems the PD was the only one to suffer, even the CR engines are ok?

I owned a mk6 Golf GTD with a the VAG 170 bhp CR Diesel engine. Owned it for just shy of 5 years from 2011 to 2016 and while I owned it, my work commute was 7 miles each way. It did get a couple of longer journeys most weeks though.

It was a great car and it never missed a beat while I owned it.

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
I have the FR ST 184 diesel, and my daily commute is 2 miles each way. The reason I got it 2 years ago is because the contract hire price was much cheaper than any of the petrol FRs.

With the DPF - mine will go about 2 weeks with the above commute, and if I've not done any longer journeys (20 miles+), I then get the DPF message on the dashboard. I live near Gatwick so a late-night drive down the A23 to Brighton and back again does the trick and clears it. It is a bit annoying though as it always happens at the most inconvenient time!

Also - quite often I'll do a longer motorway journey of 50 miles plus, and then the next day the car starts doing a regen (which eventually fails due to the short journeys...).

In summary - it's manageable but irritating. Modern diesels definitely aren't designed for predominantly short journeys. My next one will be the 1.4 ECOTsi.

The only other issues I've had are the wheel nut covers falling off (18 inch wheels) which is irritating (even the warranty replacements have started falling off!), and plenty of rattles and creaks from the boot / rear suspension area. My car has only done 12k miles so I dread to think what it would be like after double that.

Last edited:

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
I have the FR ST 184 diesel, and my daily commute is 2 miles each way. The reason I got it 2 years ago is because the contract hire price was much cheaper than any of the petrol FRs.

With the DPF - mine will go about 2 weeks with the above commute, and if I've not done any longer journeys (20 miles+), I then get the DPF message on the dashboard. I live near Gatwick so a late-night drive down the A23 to Brighton and back again does the trick and clears it. It is a bit annoying though as it always happens at the most inconvenient time!

Also - quite often I'll do a longer motorway journey of 50 miles plus, and then the next day the car starts doing a regen (which eventually fails due to the short journeys...).

In summary - it's manageable but irritating. Modern diesels definitely aren't designed for predominantly short journeys. My next one will be the 1.4 ECOTsi.

The only other issues I've had are the wheel nut covers falling off (18 inch wheels) which is irritating (even the warranty replacements have started falling off!), and plenty of rattles and creaks from the boot / rear suspension area. My car has only done 12k miles so I dread to think what it would be like after double that.

You drive to Brighton and back to clear out the engine ?

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Never had a dpf warning or, for that matter, noticed a regen in 16000 miles. Plenty of weeks I only do town trips.

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
You drive to Brighton and back to clear out the engine ?

Yup. It takes that long driving for the warning light to go off on my car.

The Exeo I had before cleared it much quicker.

Interestingly - yesterday I drove to Wales and back, a 300 mile round trip. The last leg was about 1.5 hours of fast motorway driving... and when I got home and parked on the drive, it was doing a regen (which will have failed as I turned the engine off). I'm surprised it happened after a long steady-speed motorway trip like that, and have noticed it before. Anyone else noticed that on the TDI 184 engine?

Last edited:

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Mines the 150 TDI and daily commute is 45 miles a day and I will get regens when I get to work after that long a journey so think it's normal

shanky77

Sep 26, 2005
Ipswich, Suffolk
Interestingly - yesterday I drove to Wales and back, a 300 mile round trip. The last leg was about 1.5 hours of fast motorway driving... and when I got home and parked on the drive, it was doing a regen (which will have failed as I turned the engine off). I'm surprised it happened after a long steady-speed motorway trip like that, and have noticed it before. Anyone else noticed that on the TDI 184 engine?

I have seen this a few times, had one last week, drove to/back from in laws, 1.5hr along A14 at normal speeds only to pull up at home to a regen!
Mine is used for mainly short trips and has a tuning box so tends to do a regen around once a fortnight I'd say.

Wish there was a way to force a regen as I'd quite happily take it out for a blast every week knowing it was for dual purposes lol
Always nice surprising the hot hatch brigade in ya old man estate thats pushing 230bhp hehe

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Had a SE Technology 2.0 TDI 150 DSG (yes rare I know)...

did 8k miles in 2 years...used car twice a week, weekday use, 3 miles each way (total of 6)..

Weekend use, 13 mile trip each way via central London....

I would have the odd motorway blast (airport usually, or further 1hr plus going 70mph +) once a month or once every 2 months.

DPF light never once came on in 2 years...yes it does maybe once a month or so do a regen (stinky, fan on full blast even after parking up, won't start/stop and revs raised on idle).

Car used to drink only the good stuff though, Shell/Esso regular diesel, and occasional tank of Shell Vpower Nitro + Diesel. The only time I did put some supermaket fuel it, it wasn't happy, very gruff, and did a regen (could be coincidence) right away. Even a friend who sits in my car once a week, noticed, and asked...'what's up with your car, got up on the wrong side of bed?'

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
We have a 14 plate 184 ST, a 16 plate 184 SC and a 66 plate 150 A3 S-line and I have never seen any DPF lights show on any of them, they have done between 20 and 38K miles each. I have never had a forced regen in the A3 150 and only an odd one or two in the 184 ST. The 16 plate SC belonged to my son and it goes to the block on Monday as he has closed off his lease

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members