Leon FR - Ticking noise from glovebox area

Formula400

Jun 21, 2006
Ticking under left hand side of dash (RHD)

Has anyone resolved this problem yet?

My July 2006 Leon has this ticking problem. Have tried the reset using econ+central air buttons, but this does not work.

It's been to the dealers twice for this ticking from the climate control system. First time they 'reset it'. The ticking may have gone away for a few days, but soon came back. After many more months of ticking I got the dealer to look into it at the first service. They reported that they had 'carried out basic settings to the heater flap motors.' If anything, this made the ticking worse.

A few more months have passed and I did a bit of investigation myself. With the ignition switched on, the ticking even happens when the climate control is switched off. HOWEVER - at any time, if I select re-circulation the ticking stops completely. Switch back to non recirculating and the noise returns. Has anyone else noticed this?

Seems like there may be a 're-circ/normal' flap to divert the air which is not opening (or closing) properly. Does anyone know if this is true, and if it can be accessed without removing the dash?

The dealer now wants the car in for a few days and is talking about removing the dash. I have never had any dash squeaks or rattles, so I am reluctant to do this especially as he says they have not removed a Leon Mk 2 dash before....

I am tempted to ignore the noise, as the climate control works OK. I am trying to balance having the dash removed for a possible fix against me possibly having an expensive repair after the warranty has run out.

Thanks

Geoff

knig0004

Hi Geoff,
My local dealer has removed the dash 2 or 3 times now on my Leon and they still couldn't fix the ticking. Luckily I haven't had to put up with too many new squeaks or rattles...
I am now at my wits end with this ticking...although i will try some of the other suggestions. i.e. heated wing mirrors, switching the re-cir on etc

Charlotte

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I had this on my old 2.0TFSi, but it got less and less, the older the car got (had it for 3 years) it always seemed worse in warmer weather though... :confused:

Formula400

Jun 21, 2006
Hi Charlotte,

Gosh, this seems a long time ago. I should have got back to the forum and posted an update - but somehow it never got done. So....

I took the car back to the dealer and they replaced the 'flap motors' on both sides of the car. I think the dash had to come out - but no ill effects. That fixed the problem completely. However, the problem has returned although nowhere as bad.

I also have just had the climate control compressor replaced - all cooling had gone. I asked the service agent to look into this again. They adjusted something and said theyd fixed it, however it is now less frequent but louder!! All very frustrating.

All work was carried out by Camberlet SEAT who mostly seem to do a very good job. My warranty expires in 3 months, so will need to get it looked at again before then.

Good luck with your ongoing efforts to get the problem fixed.

Geoff

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.