Leon MK1 - Anyone know what other cars share the same exhaust system?

starcity

Went to Kwik Fit with a slight rattle noise from my exhaust and they said I needed a new middle and back. Went ahead with it and it turned out much nosier than before. They said must be a defect with the new exhaust and fitted another. Only that was the same. They then said they will order one from Seat, and that turned out the same too! Three exhausts and £270 later and my car still sounds like a racing dragcar! Luckily they have agreed to a full refund after I bring the exhaust back.

I'm now thinking of getting a used exhaust middle and back from a breaker or the like but can't locate a suitable one for my car. The car has done nearly 92k miles and I dont want to spend any more cash on it!

Can anyone advise what other cars use the same exhaust system? I've heard that the Leon shares many parts with Golf MK4, Audi A3, Toledo, etc but I am not sure exactly what I should be looking for. The car is a 2001 1.8 20V SE Leon. There is no turbo and I think the original had 2 tail pipes. Thanks!

Has anyone else had any luck with used exhausts?

PS Apart from the damp and exhaust problems, the car's handling, engine and brakes are excellent!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Sounds like they just can't fit exhausts, or damaged your downpipe while removing the old system

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
I had a Toledo 1.9 Diesel centre section fitted by kwik fit ( no silencer) and it never make any increase to the noise, god knows what they have done, but i bet m0rk isn't far off it.

starcity

Its a 1.8 20V 2001 standard Leon.

What are the benefits of a performance exhaust, and it would be noisy?!

I took it a different garage earlier and he said the back box (is that the silencer?) was faulty. I just don't get how all 3 could be faulty.

starcity

What is the downpipe? Is that what comes from the engine to underneath the car?

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
IT could be anything, cat coul be breakking up or a broken heat sheild, so it could be a need of a penny washer on the heatsheild or a new cat. Your best going to an indipendant garage.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Kwik fit not too hot, could'nt even sort my tracking out on my mk2 golf gti,
As above go independant.
Any one know if my back box on my LC should be at a slant? my pipes aren't level and drives me mad, It's the little things AHH! New car so not sure but seems wrong.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
And there I was trying to be polite about kwik fit... You have been warned!!
Any one got any idea about my tail pipe?

mrvavavoom

Feb 4, 2009
bandit country
Kwik fit not too hot, could'nt even sort my tracking out on my mk2 golf gti,
As above go independant.
Any one know if my back box on my LC should be at a slant? my pipes aren't level and drives me mad, It's the little things AHH! New car so not sure but seems wrong.

nope they should be straight:)

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
nope they should be straight:)

Thought as much, guy who owned it before me had the rear mount re welded on, think this might be the cause? seems to only be on one side. should it have mounts both sides as it exits under the car?
Otherwise it's had a sloppy fitter work on it because it's slanted.
Need to find the money for a Milltek!
I know they do ovals and twin pipes, but do the make a single round, cutback,exit pipe? Anyone know?

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
A nice strong one does the job, on my old clio the mounts sagged and becuase its twin exhaust one was low and it drove me insane, but cos the the sheer rock in the engine on them it snaps them :(

starcity

My backbox is mounted with a welded rod, but only on side. The fact that 3 exhausts have sounded the same does make it seem like they dont know how to fit it properly rather than a defect. Should it be welded from both sides then? Could the fitting cause such a loud noise?

Last edited by a moderator:

mrvavavoom

Feb 4, 2009
bandit country
ive heard the build quality on milltek isnt that good recently
ive got a blueflame on mine and its really good quality its a single 6x4 oval tail pipe and sits really well out the back its good a nice burble to it:)
ive been using them for about 6 yrs now and cant fault them

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
As ive said Milteks welds are shocking as is the quality of steel used, one some the tail pipes are starting to corrode and look shabby, and alot of cracks forming after just a few months.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members