1. Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store. and are now half price.

Leon Mk3 at Paris Motorshow

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by gaffer1986, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Cougar

Cougar Active Member

I think the lines and the angling separate it distinctively from all of those

2. BeezerDiesel

BeezerDiesel Minus a Diesel Beezer

I like it, but it's missing something. Maybe a bit of character isn't there? Roll on the facelift in 2015!! Maybe the Cupra will be more distinctive this time round and give the range that lift?
    The base model Leon looks far more interesting than the base model mk7 Golf but the FR isn't a patch on the new GTI.

3. jc_boc

jc_boc Back in CUPRA ..... R!

I will defo be getting one of these in a couple years time. Only it WILL be a 3 door version I get......

4. Cougar

Cougar Active Member

Looking forward to seeing some phots of the 3 door! Will be holding fire on any decisions until they come out :D

5. JK1

JK1 Full Member

A LIGHT, in the glovebox!? Luxuries!

I really like it, don't like that cream interior but the metallic grey is nice.

6. dieselface

dieselface Active Member

Not only that, according to the brochure "Ambient spot lighting and footwell illumination". (SE, FR) - Progress!

Also, chrono yellow is no more, the Convenience Pack returns and we get a "SEAT Sound System: 135 Watt/6 channel amplifier with 10 speakers including boot
    mounted subwoofer".

Seems some popular mods are now also included as standard on some trims (arm rest - SE, FR, and aluminium front door sill trims - FR)

Overall it's an impressive set of engines and spec for launch of the 5 door which, as expected is aimed at the family on a budget. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2.0TSI In 2 different outputs (FR/Cupra or just Cupra plus optional bhp alas GTI) is saved for the 3 door where the petrol heads are lurking :)

#26 dieselface, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  7. dieselface

dieselface Active Member

Also forgot to mention. Fuel tank is now only 50ltrs (mk2 55) but higher output FR TDI and TSI get bigger rear brakes than the mk2 (+19mm).

8. leonlad

leonlad Full Member

the styling of the interior is so boring , plastics look higher quality but very poor styling
    sat nav unit looks like it is out of a kia or something.

9. jc_boc

Have a look at the Golf 7 and the Leon next to each other and you can see they are almost the same. Interior in the new Leon is a BIG step up imho and I cant wait to get to the Paris show in 2 weeks time to have a fiddle round the car myself.

10. leonlad

leonlad Full Member

well the golf is not much better , not sure whatt the fuss is about typical vag blandness

#30 leonlad, Sep 30, 2012
  11. gareth86

gareth86 Active Member

Just looked at the pics on SCN's facebook. Wow I want the one in blue lol

12. Ashworth

Ashworth Active Member

I can't make up my mind what to do now!
    I currently have a Leon FR 2.0 CR Tdi which will be 3 years old in February. I was intending changing it then before MOT, renewing road tax etc.
    My original plan was, to have a change and go for the FR 2.0 Tsi, but these are no longer available.
    My choice now seems to be grab another 2.0 FR+ now whilst they are still available, currently at much reduced prices from some dealers or wait until next year, pay for MOT and road tax and go for the Mk 3next summer.

However, I wouldn't want to place an order until I have read lots of reviews and decided which would be the nicest car to drive out of the 2.0 FR Tdi (184 bhp) model or the 1.8 Tsi (178 bhp). I would also like to consider the DSG model as something different.
    Anyone got any ideas which will be the most interesting model of the New Leon to drive out of those I've mentioned.

13. jc_boc

If you're traveling long distances then stick with diesel mate alternatively the 1.8tsi will be a good engine and lower insurance too I would gather versus the 2.0 t fsi. Not much in it either between the diesel and tsi in the mk 3 power wise so the decision is yours.

14. Cougar

Cougar Active Member

According to the current statistics (from launch anyway...) the TSI engine doesn't even offer the benefit of being faster than the diesel (At least to 62 anyway: Both 0-62 mph 7.5s) and according to the figures the TDI is actually faster at top speed (Albeit by a mere 2 mph!) ;)

I know speed isn't the only benefit of the petrol over the diesel but on paper it seems like an illogical choice right now if you ordered a launch Mk3 Leon.

Though you will save just over £1500 by electing the 1.8 TSI engine over the 2.0 TDI (in 184ps form).

The quoted figures across the range seem very impressive either way.

I don't agree with this however:

[​IMG]

FR 'line'? Death of a brand here if you ask me. Though, according to the press releases at the moment "Only the most powerful engines in the range will go into the new FR models..."

We shall see - as this directly opposes the Mk5 FL's new direction!

15. Nickbucks1

Nickbucks1 Guest

Just back from Paris. Styling of the MK3 is very bland- could easily be a Kia- but the interior is streets ahead of the Mk 2. Given that the Leon Mk3 appears to offer most of the options available in the MK 7Golf I am not sure what market segment the VW Group is aimimg the Leon MK3 at. Incidentally no one on the stand could advise what rear suspension set up the Leon MK 3 will have. Will low spec models share the torsion beam with the low spec Golfs leaving the higher powered models to use the multi-link arrangement ?
    Also interesting to note that whilst Seat have ditched the much criticised front quarterlight VW have adopted this for the MK7 Golf !

16. m0rk

m0rk sarcasm comes free
    Site Owner

>150bhp has multilink, but the others have the beam (I think all the cars on the stand I looked at had a beam)

Scott & I were talking yesterday looking at the front of the white model thinking about what we'd change (with vinyl) to make it look a little 'harder' - I might play with a photo later

17. Nath.

Nath. The Gentlemans Express

2.0 TDI 184?

Is this the 2.0 TDI 170 with the real output quoted or have they actually made it more powerful?

I take it, it's the same engine?

The new Golf is better looking than the new Leon. Now that's a turn around. I may be buying a golf next time then.

I like how the New Golf at the motor show had rachet straps through the springs to make it sit lower. That's cheating.

18. m0rk

m0rk sarcasm comes free
    Site Owner

I think it's an evolution of it, the emissions are lower across the board.

I'm 50:50 about it having seen it, it's got potential, but the rivals have all upped their game.

It'll be easier to determine once UK spec, prices & options are uploaded

19. Rorza

Rorza Active Member

Looking forward to cupra already cause the fr is nothing special hopefully 290+bhp and 4wd with 40mpg can only dream

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

#39 Rorza, Sep 30, 2012
  20. Syphon

Syphon SCN Admin
    Site Owner

Front wrapping option

[​IMG]

Scott