Leon (mk3) FW ST 2.0 Tdi 150 hand brake adjustment

Sep 7, 2019
First off, just found these forums so hi SeatCupra.net :wave:

After 54k miles I've just changed the front and rear pads on my 64 plate Leon FR ST 150. No problems changing the pads all round, but now the handbrake seems to pull up a little further than I'd like.

It is a cabled handbrake. I've had a look underneath and can't see any obvious adjustment. Can someone enlighten me as to where the adjustment is and how?

Thanks in advance

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
First off, just found these forums so hi SeatCupra.net :wave:

After 54k miles I've just changed the front and rear pads on my 64 plate Leon FR ST 150. No problems changing the pads all round, but now the handbrake seems to pull up a little further than I'd like.

It is a cabled handbrake. I've had a look underneath and can't see any obvious adjustment. Can someone enlighten me as to where the adjustment is and how?

Thanks in advance
It's located somewhere under the armrest unit I think, it is on the golfs anyway and they share the same platform as the Leon

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm assuming that you did fully retract the pistons, I'd think that you would not have been able to fit new pads if you didn't, and then followed the correct procedure to allow the pistons to readjust? I'd say that if you did not have any issues with how high the handbrake "handle" came up before changing these pads, then cable adjustment is not the issue now, maybe you will find that things improve over the next few days of use.

Edit:- one other thing, before carrying out any cable adjusting, look under the car to make sure that the levers are resting or very nearly resting on the stops. I've even slackened off the cables slightly before replacing pads and only if necessary needed to tighten them after letting things settle down after a pad change.

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
If you have followed the advice from RUM4MO and still need to adjust the handbrake, prise out the box in the arm rest to gain access to the adjuster. The nut is obscured by the duct taking air to the rear air vents. You have to prise off the rear end of the armrest to remove this.

Sep 7, 2019
Yes, I did wind back the pistons fully. Already had the tool for that. I think the hand brake issue was a combination of the pads finding their right place and perhaps me being a little too critical, as it's something you normally don't think about.

As mentioned above, I found the adjustment nut under the armrest and behind the rear air vent. The rear vent cover pulled off with a little help of a plastic fascia removal tool. Behind was a bit of ducting that pulled out. This gives some pretty awkward access to the 10mm af nut. I've no doubt better access could be gained if a bit more is taken off.

But I'll give it a day or two then see if I still think it needs adjustment. Point taken about checking at the rear wheels if the cables are resting on the stops.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.