Leon mk3?

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
So to come back to my original question....
Do people think the 1.8 Tsi will be a fun car to drive with or without DSG or would I still be better waiting for the 2.0 Tdi 184.

If it's any help, I will chance my 2.0Tdi DSG for a 1.8 Tsi DSG when the price is right. .

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
So to come back to my original question....
Do people think the 1.8 Tsi will be a fun car to drive with or without DSG or would I still be better waiting for the 2.0 Tdi 184.

depends how much you rate a petrol noise, better than a tractor but your sacrificing your torque and mpg. Personally id need more BHP to consider getting it over the tdi, be intriguing to see what the remap figures will be for them both.

knoted

Oct 23, 2012
Yes I think the 1.8tsi will be fun, there seem to be some good figures on the 160ps, a remap puts it around 220 bhp stick the k04 on it and it's 300bhp :)
If this reference is worth anything ; I got the current mk2 1.8 TSI (160bhp) ; it's got some nice punch but maybe this new 180 bhp will perform where the current 1.8 falls short.

Got the photoshops I mentioned earlier by the way.

Maybe it's my personal preference, but black wheels & mirrors make the mk3 look.. ehm, way better. I'm OK with the more straight form of the linea dinámica, but it sits a little high for my liking .

Anyway,

I really like the mk3 this way:
Seat_Leon_10.jpg

Rear:
Seat_Leon_06B.jpg

From recent 'family' advertisement video:
Seat_Leon_09B.jpg

Awesome shot imo, probably due to the strong contrast lighting/shading:
7632942366_9cdc141b65_d.jpg

I still have some issues with the design though. In this picture you can see A; the portruding tail light interferes with the shape of the rear body crease.
At B you can see the front of the linea dinámica makes the wing corner sit higher than the rounded wing on the mk2; this makes the nose look bulkier as you can see at C.
Seat_Leon_01B.jpg

Finally, I tried some alternative 'edgy' lines.. to evoke a kind of airflow like the curve on the mk2 does. I'm not saying it's great, but just an idea.

seatleon2013_redocopy-kopieC.jpg

seatleon2013_redocopy-kopieD-1.jpg

Last edited:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I was seriously going to put an order in for a MKIII FR 1.4TSi 138, looks a cracking car and spec is decent. My issue was that when I added a couple of items I was only 1K short of a BMW 116i SE with a few options???? Factor in residuals and the BM works out cheaper on everything bar RFL which is band C for the Leon and E for the BM.

By the time I had done the finance PCP figures, realised I would have torsion beam suspension on an FR, the BM was the better buy costing a whopping £50 a month less on their 4.9% PCP finance. So BM got the order for March even though I could get 2K off the Leon the same as the BM.

The base FR TSi is now more than the FL MKII FR TDi 170 in 2010! Glad to see it getting such rave intial reviews though, SEAT deserve some accolade instaed of being treated like VAG's poor relation all the time :cry:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I was seriously going to put an order in for a MKIII FR 1.4TSi 138, looks a cracking car and spec is decent. My issue was that when I added a couple of items I was only 1K short of a BMW 116i SE with a few options???? Factor in residuals and the BM works out cheaper on everything bar RFL which is band C for the Leon and E for the BM.

By the time I had done the finance PCP figures, realised I would have torsion beam suspension on an FR, the BM was the better buy costing a whopping £50 a month less on their 4.9% PCP finance. So BM got the order for March even though I could get 2K off the Leon the same as the BM.

The base FR TSi is now more than the FL MKII FR TDi 170 in 2010! Glad to see it getting such rave intial reviews though, SEAT deserve some accolade instaed of being treated like VAG's poor relation all the time :cry:

Pity you are leaving the fold. I do find it interesting that the 1.4tsi FR has rear torsion beam being an FR. A bit of a let down if am honest and regrettably I am not a BM fan even less for the 1 series but that is my personal preference and everyone has their own taste. Good luck with the new motor however and I hope you have many hapy and hassle free miles in the new BM.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Pity you are leaving the fold. I do find it interesting that the 1.4tsi FR has rear torsion beam being an FR. A bit of a let down if am honest and regrettably I am not a BM fan even less for the 1 series but that is my personal preference and everyone has their own taste. Good luck with the new motor however and I hope you have many hapy and hassle free miles in the new BM.

It is a shame but value for money was my first priority this time and I am a BMW fan having had nine of them six E46 3er's and 3 E87 1er's in between my MK1 Leon Cupra and 2 MKII Leon FR's. 1er's seem still to be a marmite car. I hope I get a good un, my current FR has not missed a beat and will be sad to see it go in March.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
The Leon MKIII is a nice looking car and a decent range of engines it is just the cost and residual values that concern me.

SEAT used to be great residual wise, the Mii like for like seems to be selling at 1K less than the Up! on the used market. Factor in VW dealers putting a higher profit margin in and I bet it is still around £500 on a 8.5K car.