Leon ST FR tow bar anyone?

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Here are some photos of Conal's Witter detachable towbar

Thanks for putting the photos on Peter, saves me sending them out lots of times! :D
You'll notice the electrics are not fitted here. Car was pre wired but the lead the dealer gave me did not fit the module in the boot....apparently there was a change part way through the MY. I have the, hopefully, correct lead now, due to be fitted next week.
Conal

Harakiri

Jun 7, 2015
Lol and I who thought someone was interested in my post.

Conal your installation looks better than the Seat one..

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Still interested to see that, because you have the cover.

Also other brands if someone has pics of those..

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Here are some photos of Conal's Witter detachable towbar

Thanks for putting the photos on Peter, saves me sending them out lots of times! :D
You'll notice the electrics are not fitted here. Car was pre wired but the lead the dealer gave me did not fit the module in the boot....apparently there was a change part way through the MY. I have the, hopefully, correct lead now, due to be fitted next week.
Conal

Finally got my tow bar socket wired up and there is good news!
As previously reported by other forum members the £75 lead supplied by Seat would only run the trailer lights and would not power a caravan fridge or charge the battery. If you wanted these functions then you would need to fit supplementary wiring. This was the case with the first lead I was given by my dealer.
When I took the replacement lead to the fitter he found that everything was wired up to provide power to the battery and the fridge. It was only a matter of plug into the pre fitted module in the boot, fit the earth and everything was up and running. No coding was required.
Have just connected the car and caravan together for the first time, perfect! Fridge running, battery being charged and all lights working. Suitable warning light on the dash for the indicators, rear sensors automatically mute, the only thing I don't know about is the stop start function as I only had the engine ticking over for a minute or two and didn't drive anywhere.
Will add the part numbers when I get a minute.

Part numbers : lead one, 5F0 055 204 B
lead two, 5F0 055204 D My car was registered 15/10/2014
I believe that the very latest lead is the same part number but with an 'F' suffix.

Last edited:

Casper123

Apr 27, 2017
South east
Ok, may be of help to those with an SE though.
Conal

Hi Conal,

I have been looking through the posts regarding towbars as it is time to fit one to my ST FR, but as with many on here I don't wish to have any visible cuts or cover panels if possible.
I contacted Witter today and was told that they didn't make a removable bar for the FR and was pointed in the direction of a Westfalia??
Please could you possibly post the Witter part number so I can investigate further. I apologise if this is something you have done before.

Regards

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Hi Casper, No idea why you are being told that there is no Witter detachable bar for your ST FR. If you look on the PF Jones website they list several bars for your car including the Witter one which gives you an invisible bumper cut....I assume that you have seen the photos of my fitting?
The part number is SA21AQ and it is listed at about £201.
I don't know where you are in the country or if you are planning to fit it yourself but there should be loads of places, or mobile fitters, who should be able to help you. I had mine fitted in Durham, a first class job.
Feel free to ask if you want any more info.
Conal

Casper123

Apr 27, 2017
South east
Hi Conal,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I am as confused as you. I have always fitted my own bars in the past, but as our car is still within warranty and I wanted 13 pin wiring I decided to get it done through a recommended fitter used by my local Seat Garage.
Having previously had a Quantum Vertical bar on our last car it was my first choice, but having booked the car in to have the work done they called me back to say that after speaking to Witter it didn't fit the FR ST and I should purchase the Westfalia?
Well as you have proved, it clearly does!!
I have just returned from the towbar fitter now and shown him all the pictures which has proved very useful.
Just a couple of questions tho, have you got any pictures of the bar side on or could you give me an idea of the clearance distance ball to the bumper? i.e measurement ball to bumper and if it would accept an Alko hitch or not.

Thanks again

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
If you send me you email address by PM then I'll send you some pics. Just going out now to watch the Tour de Yorkshire which is passing my house in about 15 minutes. Back soon.
Conal

Edit, Yes will definitely accommodate an Alko hitch as that is what is fitted on my van.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.