Leon TDI SE v Focus TDCI

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
Originally posted by dino
I am close to getting a TDI SE, but I keep reading that the handling on the focus is so much better.

What do people think?

A m8 of mine has a focus and it's just sooooo small. The boot is tiny (as is the interior) compared to the leon. Not to mention the nasty dash they stick in them. It's a great engine (the ford) tho - finally a ford derv that doesn't suck ass. Then again, VAG have led the TDI field for some time (bar BM's 330d) so there's nothing in it there. I think the TDCI is 130bhp isn't it? or is their a lower power one?

Just drive them both, and then make up your mind. Don't go by what you read m8 - it's a personal decision after all!

samm

Oil be back!!
Nov 5, 2003
Horsham
sammullahy.50megs.com
I have driven both. The TDCi Focus is 115bhp. They just happened to have a 130 SE Leon in the dealer at the same time as I test drove the Focus. Didn't have to think hard about which one to get. The interior of the Focus is a bit too funky for my liking. I thought the Focus did handle slightly better but the power of the Leon was far greater plus there are just sooooooo many Focus's on the road.

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
focus v leon

My father 115bhp TDCi in law has a focus and have driven it have way across Ireland. I'll be honest and say that the Focus felt a little bit quicker than my 110 TDi, but it couldnt match the Leon on fuel with people on board, it was a little quieter at low revs but louder at High revs. However, his Focus has now done 45k, 15k less than mine, yet mine looks like new compared to his. The materials on the dashboard, seats all look worn and he looks after his cars. It feels cheap compared to mine, althought the Leon's interior is more conservative, is better resolved. He's also had a number of things fall off as well, although nothing mechanical has happened.

It does feel much more claustrophoblic in the back of a Leon but its more comfortable and visibilty for the driver isnt quite as good (third side window doesnt really make much difference). Boot on the Leon appears to be much bigger,

Handling is quite subjective and originally I though the Focus was better. However, a while back I added 17" wheels (form 15's) and that improved the Leon handling making it more sure footed, even though both roll too much for my liking, but IIRC the 130 has bigger wheels.

I have no regrets buying my Leon, except that the 130 wasnt out then. The only thing to be aware of is both models are nearing the end of there life.

Not sure what resale values are on Leon's compared to Foci

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
Re: focus v leon

Originally posted by andyb
My father 115bhp TDCi in law has a focus and have driven it have way across Ireland. I'll be honest and say that the Focus felt a little bit quicker than my 110 TDi, but it couldnt match the Leon on fuel with people on board, it was a little quieter at low revs but louder at High revs. However, his Focus has now done 45k, 15k less than mine, yet mine looks like new compared to his. The materials on the dashboard, seats all look worn and he looks after his cars. It feels cheap compared to mine, althought the Leon's interior is more conservative, is better resolved. He's also had a number of things fall off as well, although nothing mechanical has happened.

It does feel much more claustrophoblic in the back of a Leon but its more comfortable and visibilty for the driver isnt quite as good (third side window doesnt really make much difference). Boot on the Leon appears to be much bigger,

Handling is quite subjective and originally I though the Focus was better. However, a while back I added 17" wheels (form 15's) and that improved the Leon handling making it more sure footed, even though both roll too much for my liking, but IIRC the 130 has bigger wheels.

I have no regrets buying my Leon, except that the 130 wasnt out then. The only thing to be aware of is both models are nearing the end of there life.

Not sure what resale values are on Leon's compared to Foci

Think the leon has the largest boot in it's class :)

17"s do indeed help a lot - even from 16"s the car just handles better with lower profile tyres. Resale on the Leon is likely to be better simply because of numbers of focus' on the road thesedays.

BTW Cheeky but i do have a nice set of 17"s for sale ;)
:cheers:

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
Re: Wheels

Has the TDI SE always come with 16" wheels? or have they had 15".

I currently have a BMW coupe with 328 alloys. 17" x 245, and boy do you feel every bump.

Depends on the wheels tbh - i have 18"s now and they're fine :)
A lot depends on the suspension setup and the tyres fitted.
If you've rock hard suspension you'll need an oestopath either way ;)

andyb

Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
Re: Wheels

Has the TDI SE always come with 16" wheels? or have they had 15".

I currently have a BMW coupe with 328 alloys. 17" x 245, and boy do you feel every bump.

The 110 was originally called the TDi SE, until recentley when it became the SX. During its 110 life it started off with 15" 5 spoke wheels, but these were changed in 2002 IIRC for new design. Not sure what size these were.

The current TDi SE is now the 130

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I haven't driven a diesel Focus, but my g/f has a 1.8 Zetec petrol and TBH we've been very impressed with it.
It's now three years old, and is still silent inside, not a single squeak or rattle, it feels very solidly built and well put together. In terms of build quality it's light years ahead of my new Ibiza. I was very surprised by Andyb's comments about the interior being poor, we've thought quite the opposite !
It's also had an excellent reliability record.

I also think the Focus seats are superb, far better than my Ibiza's o-called "Sports Seat" which are frankly crap.

The design of the car, both inside and outside are just down to personal taste; personally I think they look OK.

I haven't driven the Leon but I have to say the Focus handling really is superb, spot on balance between ride quality and roadholding. I expect there are some who drive cars pretty hard that will disagree, but I reckon for everyday use you'd be hard pushed to beat it. The Mk4 Golf was always criticised for it's ride/handling when compared to the Focus - and I think the Leon shares the same chassis ?

When we were looking to get the Focus, what did strike me was the poor standard equipment list, most of the stuff we wanted was a cost extra (side airbags, heated screen, etc). I think the Leon would win hands down in the value-for-money stakes.
I agree with comments about the size of the Focus boot, it does seem small - my mate's just bought a MK4 Golf TDI and I was surprised how much bigger the Golf boot is, I would expect the Leon to be similar.

One of our neighbours has got a Focus TDCI, and one thing that has struck me is how refined it sounds, it's certainly quieter than the VAG PD engines.

Like the others have said though, the only way to know which suits your own preferences is to have a good test drive in each and then decide.

markjw

Oct 20, 2001
West London
Visit site
TDI SE 110bhp MY 2000,2001,2002 has 15" wheels
TDI SE 110bhp MY 2003 has 16" wheels
TDI SX 110bhp MY 2004 has 15" wheels and no sports suspension
TDI SE 130bhp MY2004 has 16" wheels

I'm on my 2nd TDI SE and have no regrets buying a Leon.

Mark

andyb

Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
Originally posted by muddyboots
I haven't driven a diesel Focus, but my g/f has a 1.8 Zetec petrol and TBH we've been very impressed with it.
It's now three years old, and is still silent inside, not a single squeak or rattle, it feels very solidly built and well put together. In terms of build quality it's light years ahead of my new Ibiza. I was very surprised by Andyb's comments about the interior being poor, we've thought quite the opposite !

Ah, but this is comparing to the Leon, not the Ibiza. I was thinking of the new Ibiza 130 TDi, but a dealer I know put me off (and he could have had my money!) by showing me some of the problems on the Ibiza, its not as well put together in his opinion as the Leon and there's been some cheap skating in places.

Having had two Ibiza's now as courtsey cars, I'm afraid for some odd reason, the Leon interior is better designed with better plastics (bar the buttons on the centre console) and look better, if more conservative. Just my opinion of course (well and the dealer!)

Maybe my father in law's car is a friday car, but this is the second, and while his first was more reliable (had the older diesel engine), it didnt wear well.

Also the Ibiza is in Fiesta terriotary, not Focus

runer

Dec 11, 2002
holland
Visit site
overhyped focus

HI,
I drove the focus for comparison purposes over a period of two dayscovering long distances & i must say it was a real dissappointment. I know the focus is comparable to the Leon but in my case i drive the ibiza pd100 (approx 80 miles every weekday + some over the weekend)and hence compared to that, the ibiza is ahead in terms of handling and drivability any day

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
My dads got a newish TDDi Focus Estate as his company car. The Focus feels notably more sure footed than my '01 Leon (110 TDiSe) and there seems to be more room for rear passengers too. However the brakes don't have the same feel as the Leon and the performance isnt as strong. I didn't like the door mirrors either ;)
And as someone else said, the stock equipment list on the Focus is nothing to get excited about. ABS was a cost option even on the Zetecs and Ghia trims when I last looked.

Apart from that I have it on reasonably good authority that the fuel systems on the TDCi motors are so delicate that if theres a problem with it, Ford replace everything from the fuel tank through to the injectors. Great if its under makers warranty, not so great if you have to put your hand in your own pocket. I havent heard the same about any of the VAG diesels (yet).

TheBigGM

VTEC Who????????
Jun 20, 2009
North Wales
nonstophits.co.uk
I've owned both cars:

03 focus 1.8 tdci 115bhp
54 Leon 1.9 pd130 tdi

Both cars are cracking but I'd definitely go for the Leon.

Leon is more spacious, had electric windows all round, automatic folding wing mirrors & just feels chunkier and nicer to drive. There's a noticeable amount of power difference also compared to the focus and the pd engines are well built!

I preferred the centre console of the focus but everything else in the Leon was better ie: dials & sports seats.

Hope this helps.

GMH23

Apr 2, 2010
Perthshire, Scotland
I've owned both cars:

03 focus 1.8 tdci 115bhp
54 Leon 1.9 pd130 tdi

Both cars are cracking but I'd definitely go for the Leon.

Leon is more spacious, had electric windows all round, automatic folding wing mirrors & just feels chunkier and nicer to drive. There's a noticeable amount of power difference also compared to the focus and the pd engines are well built!

I preferred the centre console of the focus but everything else in the Leon was better ie: dials & sports seats.

Hope this helps.

it'll help if he's not bought a car in the past 7 years...:lol:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members