Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Leon/Toledo HID Headlamp Guide/FAQ

Discussion in 'Mk1 Leon Guides (1M) 2000-2006' started by Nathanio, Nov 21, 2006.

1. LEE69

LEE69 Stage 2 Revo'd

Can just imagine it, 1 check up please and two bulb holders drilling out to accept some bulbs.

2. SirSuraj

SirSuraj Active Member

Nice thread.

Just one question before I order my set of H7 4300K HID's...

Why do prices vary so much? I think I saw a conversion kit from Diane-Shop on flea bay for about $60.
    Then there is a kit on hids4u for about £100.

3. LEE69

LEE69 Stage 2 Revo'd

No idea tbh as i am of the opinion they are made in the same place just stickered and boxed differently at the end.

4. dmmsta

dmmsta Sold car - bought bike

I think some of it is places like HIDS4U supply from an address in the UK, so they've done the importing bit for you, and it means you can deal with a UK contact rather than an offshore source.

Just a guess mind...:blink:

5. Mandip

Mandip Active Member

hello everyone,

I got my HIDs the other day (6000k) from HIDs4U and tested them they look so cool. I havent had a chance to fit em though because the weather has been so shite the past couple of days, but hopefully saturday will be nice and sunny.

I was wondering where to put the ballasts in the mean time, I know passenger one will go in the plastic bit that you have to take off to get to the light housing thats easy.

The drivers side one i was think of sticking behind the washer bottle, but i was wondering:
    1) Can i take this out while its still got screenwash in it?
    2) I know its only two bolts and its off but do i need to remove the connectors to the pump etc
    2b) if so is it just a simple clip off job?

Also I bought some really cool LED sidelights, I had a go at fitting them today as I thought it would only be a 5 min job. But I couldnt for the life of me get the original side light out. Does anyone have a good technique to pull that thing out of there???

Thanks for your help.

6. seantdi

seantdi no smoke no poke!!

open up the black plastic screw at the front of the washer bottle and put the mount under that! if you want to take it out pull off the pipe at the washer jets and spray it in to a container. if you take it off it would be wort your while washing it out as they can get stale! the side lights should just pull out! try use a long nose plires to pull them out!

7. Mandip

Mandip Active Member

Hi ya thanks for the advice, you were right the sidelights just yank out but took some major force! Thought i almost broke them at one point!

Decided to just cable tie one of the ballasts to the side of the washer bottle as a temp measure and the other to the cold feed intake next to the battery. As i still use the original air box and air feed i was worried if i put it within that cover that i would be restricting air flow.

I was wondering though, now that i've fitted them they seem to have quite a low cut off as in they dont really even light up road signs becuase the beam does not go high enough. Is that normal? I went and got them checked at an MOT centre and they said that they were fine... But im not so sure...

8. richybigman

My HID's light up road signs perfectly.

9. LEE69

LEE69 Stage 2 Revo'd

As above so do mine either get them checked elsewhere or turn them up yourself parked against a wall.

10. Mandip

Mandip Active Member

Hmmm thanks for the responses, if it's not too much hassel could someone put up the measurements of the cut off point of their lights when parked up against the wall?? Only for dipped beam not main beam. Thanks

11. tripdiesel

tripdiesel Leon Cupra R 225

How do you hold the bulb in place as the metal clip that holds the normal bulb is wont go over the wiring of the hid?

12. LEE69

LEE69 Stage 2 Revo'd

Unclip the metal holder totally from the headlamp, insert the hid bulb, then re-attach the bulb holder.

13. tripdiesel

tripdiesel Leon Cupra R 225

Now i feel stupid, many thanks ;)

14. curryholic

curryholic Active Member

Just ordered mine off fleebay, so we'll see when they turn up!!

15. volvic

volvic It's just water

[​IMG]

nicked from ebay, this now shows 5000k. i've blown a normal h7 bulb and thinking about hids..... hmmm :shrug:

16. LEE69

LEE69 Stage 2 Revo'd

If/when mine ever need replacing i'm going either 4300k or 5000k

17. curryholic

curryholic Active Member

After ordering the kit and the other bulbs on the 16th, the mains arrived (UK) yesterday and the HIDS arrived this morning (from Hong Kong)... still waiting for the sides to arrive :(

Guess what I'll be doing at the weekend!!!! :D

18. dmmsta

dmmsta Sold car - bought bike

I was running 5000K in my dipped beam (when I still had my LC), and personally I think they're the happy medium for colour of the light emitted.

I was running 4300K in my high/main beams and the subtle difference of the 5000K was nice, not too blue, but enough to look that little bit different!

Highly recommended!

Have bought all my HIDs (past & present) from My Depots altho it looks like they don't do 5000K anymore :(

19. curryholic

curryholic Active Member

:redface:Just having a chat with one of my mates, who's got an Octavia and interested in HID's. He's mentioned something about projector/reflector lamps and which one the Leon has. From reading this it seems like most people just bang the HID kit into the standard lamps (or don't say anything about it) or you go for the angel eyes.

With a fear of being a bit :redface: which type do the Leon's have? Are they ok with reflectors?

Ta

20. LEE69

LEE69 Stage 2 Revo'd

We have reflector ones, my angel eyes are projector.