LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Yeah the beam is not as sharp, mine passed the MOT fine though in standard lights though.

What the crack?
The top of your ass if you bend over, bit like a builder ;) :p

curryholic

Mar 5, 2009
In zomerzet
Just had a good rummage around the kit to see how it all fits together... Jeesh I'm glad it's straight forward as there are literally no instructions other than a picture on the back which shows the ballast behind the lamp with an arrow saying H7, etc!!! :lol:

curryholic

Mar 5, 2009
In zomerzet
Afternoon all!!!

Just thought I'd give an update...

Got back from town at 2pm, got tools out. Got worried as it started to rain:(, but cracked on in any case.

Thought I'd do N/S first as that could be the pig, turns out to be an absolute doddle (no probs with the sidelight either) the worst bit was trying to get the clip back on around the new hid bulb!!! Stashed the ballast in the plastic cover above the lights but the little one. Tested the first one before installing and it was fine, phew! :happy:

Then onto the O/S [:@] couldn't get the wires off the full beam so had to take out with the wire attached and forced it (it eventually came off ok!), then couldn't get the sidelight out so got out the long nose pliers and it came out a doddle. Tested the second one and that was good too, the new kit went straight in as there is loads of room around the O/S lamp so you can get everything in! Undid a handy panel screw just in front of the wash bottle to clamp the ballast onto and it all sits pretty.

Turn on the lights for 10 mins and stop the clock at 3pm!!! Tidy up and cuppa and happy bunny!!! :funk:

So all in all followed pretty much what everyone said previously and the install was simples. Many thanks to all for the assistance, can't wait to go out tonight and see what they're like at night ;)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
35w or 50/55w kit?!

Hi peeps,

Just thought id quickly post that recently whilst looking at buying another HID kit (will be the 4th kit i have bought now) this time for my gf's car (mgf), I see you can now buy 50/55w kits as well as the traditional 35w HID kits.

I did a quick google, and it appears these 50/55w kits are about 30% brighter than the traditional 35w HID kits! BUT they are not as efficient as the 35w kits and the bulbs wont last as long apparently.

now as good as that may be (the brightness) I think on my gf's MGF I would be better off fitting a 35w HID kit as it will be a lot better than the crappy halogen bulbs in there at present, and because they have reflector bowls, rather than projectors, its prob best to stick with 35w as a 50/55w kit may be too bright and cause a nuisance to other drivers?!

Do other people agree with me? or should I go for a 55w kit?!

cheers

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus

cheers

i agree. i looked into the 55w kit and was worried about it being too bright and going through bulbs or worse, the headlight..

here's something new... hopefully someone can shed some light

8 out of 10 times when i turn my headlights(35w hid) on it also sets the wipers off for a few laps on my windscreen. im totally sure im not touching the stalk too... has this happened to anyone? :whistle:

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent

cheers

James, totally agree, have read on a couple of other forums that the heat has/will melt the clear outer casing of the headlights...
Stick to what we know ;)

i have a 55w kit on and it looks great Very bright but i have them dipped quite low so not blinding other drivers

Surely having to have the 55w lamps fitted, and then adjust the headlights down defeats the object.

Might as well have the 35w lamps, and be able to run the headlights at normal height to get the best road coverage?!

Plus as above you have the melting potential of the 55's...

Dmm

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I done quite a bit of research before buying my 35w kit and apart from blinding other people I could see no benefits of the 55w kit on a dipped beam?

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
James, totally agree, have read on a couple of other forums that the heat has/will melt the clear outer casing of the headlights...
Stick to what we know ;)

Surely having to have the 55w lamps fitted, and then adjust the headlights down defeats the object.

Might as well have the 35w lamps, and be able to run the headlights at normal height to get the best road coverage?!

Dmm

doesn't matter anymore for me as I ordered another 35w kit the other day. should be here for the weekend :)

but it is an interesting one, like I said, IMHO 35w is best for a headlamp with reflector bowls and prob still best for projectors, but you could get away with having 55w in projectors I would imagine.

just my 2p worth!

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Can't see that happening as HIDs run cooler than 55w standard bulbs.

35w HID for sure, but what about the 55's.

Have you put your hand on the front of the headlights after HIDs have been on for a while...?!

I'm not saying that it's definately going to happen, but you stand a bigger chance of the possibility.

DJ-LIAMC

VAGisclean
May 31, 2009
Loughborough
Stick to what we know ;)

Dmm

They arent dipped too low just lower than id normall have lights but the brightness makes up for it and it has a lot of road coverage while not blinding people. had them on for an hour and half last night and felt just as warm as standard bulbs no chance of it melting Imo.

curryholic

Mar 5, 2009
In zomerzet
To give update on mine...

I got the H7 kit first and fitted that. Drove around with it for a few days before thinking that it was fantastic but you could tell the spread to the right was quite excessive (no-one flashed back so couldn't have been too bad?!). It didn't bother me too much, but alot of my driving is on single carriageways and I don't like getting glare at me... So in the end I bit the bullet and picked up a set of the H7R's which I am equally pleased with in terms of the light level, etc. :D And no I haven't told the wife :whistle:

My car was in for a service and MOT yesterday and it passed first time with kit fitted, only thing they picked up on was that my reg plate light was out!!! :clap:

One thing I have noticed since I've had them is the very large number of other cars about which have HID's fitted as standard (like BMW/Merc's) which give off awful glare. I was even followed down the motorway by a copper and was giving massive glare of his!!! :whistle:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Just thought Id say, fitted a 35w 5000k HID kit to my gf's MGF today and without doubt 5000k is the way forward! :yes:

The colour is an intense white with a good subtle blue to it, and there is no yellowish colour to it at all as some colour charts can indicate.

I have 6000k in my projectors on my LCR and love them, but for reflector headlamps I think 5000k is the way forward, especially as I see so many boyracers in crappy cars with 6000k/8000k HIDs and I think they look far too blue for my liking.

so if your thinking of getting HID, I suggest you try 5000k :)

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
guys,
can someone post a pic of the back of the headlight cover so i know exactly where to make he hole for the HID's, I dont wana mess it up! ;)
For some strange reason i cant see the pics on page 2, all i get is red X's[:@]

thanks

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise