LEON & TOLEDO - Really the same car?

dazkeirle

LEON & TOLEDO - Really the same car? Wheel size problem...

Hi all,

I have an 01 toledo with 15" steel wheels. its time to get new tires and i purchased from a friend who had a leon a set of 17" multi spoke wheels.

I've just dropped them off at the tyre place where two of the guys there were like "thats not gonna fit on there". I tried explaining that its from the same car but they were reluctant.

So we took a wheel off and put the alloy (without tire) in it's place, the wheels of course fit but there is quite a little clearance between the wheel and shock (about 1/2 to a 1/4 of an inch). One guy in there was giving it all about how they'll touch when moving, the other was saying that the shocks won't move sideways anyway so if they fit, they fit.

In case your wondering the previous tires were 195 65?15 and the new ones are 225 45?17 (not sure of speed ratings)

I of course understand the new wheels are wider, 225 instead of 195 in fact, but am i right in saying if they are taken from a Leon (TDI) they will fit on a Toledo (TDI).

I'm going back at 3pm anyway to put them on with tyres to see. Just hoping somebody may be able to calm my nerves about it all.

Regards,

Daz

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekyboy_123

Yes the measurements should be the same for both cars. The toledo is essentially the saloon version of the leon..
I believe they share almost all the the same parts (apart from obviously the boot :D)

dazkeirle

thats exactly what i thought.

I have also confirmed this by looking at vagcom. Everything in the wheel arches is the same!

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
according to a tyre size calculator the switch will still make your speedo 100% accurate
well as 100% accurate as seat can make it lol

cheekyboy_123

I'm hoping you didn't take the car to the monkeys at kwik fit...They know didly skwat about pretty much anything related to cars!

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
i've done the opposite i bought some 17's for my toledo same wheels and sizes as yours and when i bought my leon they fit just fine
so it does work

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
mittens joined across the back!

images

Sorry for the post hijack!

dazkeirle

lol, well i took it to a local place. I must confess that the wheels were actually 16" multispokes and so needed different sized tires anyway - I managed to get dunlops for the same money, i'm trying to think of the new sizes but can't quite remember whether they were 205 55?16 or 215 55?16 or 210 55?16.

All this tire talk is confusing me. How "out" would the speedo be anyways? I get the concept of the same "rolling radius" and the guy at the tire place assured me that this figure would be kept the same.

You motorheads sure do have a lot of maths to work with...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise