less than 1 month old....

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
**update

Car was collected yesterday, I'm now the interim owner of 1.2 corsa.... .... ... ....yeah..
Any how, had a call from the garage and they are painting the door and and blending it in to the front door and rear panel.. Anyone had anything like this done? Seems excessive for one scratch isolated to a single panel..

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
Guys I feel for you on brand new motors. I hate finding new ones on mine and that's 6 years old and covered in marks!

What they're doing sounds about right - I got speaking to a chips away guy I've used (done a really good job a couple of times on mine) and he said ideally you blend the paint to a line (like the line that trails off the headlights) that way its more difficult to spot. The problem with a door is that there's no lines so they have to blend it a long way. If they only do a small area you fan spot the change in colour between the repair and original.

By how they're doing it they sound like they know what they're doing, so I wouldn't worry mate. Thankfully it's not on a curve/line/over a door shut as well so the filling process shouldn't be too difficult. You won't know its there mate :)

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
**update

Car was collected yesterday, I'm now the interim owner of 1.2 corsa.... .... ... ....yeah..
Any how, had a call from the garage and they are painting the door and and blending it in to the front door and rear panel.. Anyone had anything like this done? Seems excessive for one scratch isolated to a single panel..

I would not worry, at the end of the day if they are a good painter you will not be able to spot the repair, if you can then ask them to do it again properly

With modern paints and precise measuring and the fact the paint on the car is still factory fresh and hasn't faded or anything then it is possible to just spray the door, you have a shut line at the front and the back of your scratched door so no need to blend into the front door and back wing
That said some painter's like to blend as they have always done it that way

The main thing is for you to be happy with the repair and don't except anything less than perfect, its a new car after all, not an old banger

But I'm sure it will be fine

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
That's very reasurring thanks chaps! Hopefully have her back by the weekend! Can stand this corsa... Its dangerously slow!

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Got the car back this morning.. It was raining hard so inspection was difficult. After closer look I would describe the repair as good but not brilliant.
The color match isn't great, I can see the difference between the painted and non painted panels (albeit just slightly) and there is a touch of overspray on the base of the mirror (approx 1/2" long on the black plastic)

So I've called the garage and wait their response..

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I would take it back if you are not happy with it.

Had to have some work done to my gti6 a few years back on the rear quarter panel and when I turned up and saw the finish, I almost laughed.

Orange peel city and could not believe they thought it was a good job, colour match was fairly good but they sorted it out in the end.
Got home and thought that the mirror cap looked very matt, the lacquer had been completely stripped by the guy who washed it afterwards with a steam cleaner.

I was straight back down there! :rolleyes:

It would bug me if I was not happy with the work and I am not a major fussy person really lol

And really sorry and gutted for you about the scratch as that would bloody well :censored: big time and has happened to me a couple of years back with the Peugeot so I know how it feels mate :(

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Having not had any previous experience with this sorta thing... Should they be able to match the color exactly? Its seems a slightly darker shade, around the areas that were masked inside the door you can clearly see the difference in shades.. If it wasn't so wet I'd try an get some pictures to gauge some opinion.
Just wondering if Im being hyper critical an this is just how repairs go...

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
You should not be able to notice. My brother just haf a whole near rear and qtr panel with metallic paint and it is impossible to tell.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Lorry drove into my drivers door of my mk2 Leon. Perfect Paint in Milton Keynes had it for a few days, replaced the door and resprayed the doors and wing to blend it in. When I got it back couldn't even see work had been done, looked good as new. And that was after 7years of being sat in the sun and it was metallic paint which I think is harder to match. Was very impressed.

cmcc

Sorry to hear that you are not convinced with the repair,feel for you on that.

Don't just live with it though.Probably just keep bugging you.Take it back and express your concerns,listen to what they have to say and take it from there.

Hope you get this sorted to YOUR satisfaction.

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Ok excuse the poor labeling (fat fingers and smart phones Dont mix!)
In this picture you can see 1. Outside rear panel 2. Is the rear arch that's seen when the door is open. The arrow points to the faint line that is where they have masked the car, as such you can kinda see the difference in shades... Terrible picture I know but is the best I could do in these conditions on a smartphone that refuses to focus!! The second picture is the overspray on the mirror, it looks worse when dry.
Thoughts?

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
Yes, it's discrete, but it's there nevertheless. I have the same issue with my car after a facelift conversion (mk4), but my car is 9 years old and a complete colour match was always going to be difficult to do. However, your paint is practically brand new, and so is the car for that matter - I wouldn't be happy with that. The overspray on the mirror is just inexcusable, that really is the very basic stuff that a body shop shouldn't be getting wrong!

cmcc

The over spray alone is not acceptable,difficult to pick out on photos alone for the paint shade but as you have said,you notice it.
Take it back.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Hard to tell in the pictures but looks ok actually.
The over spray needs sorting though.

Need to see a picture of the wing clean and dry with new and original paint on show to get a better idea really :)

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Hard to tell in the pictures but looks ok actually.
The over spray needs sorting though.

Need to see a picture of the wing clean and dry with new and original paint on show to get a better idea really :)

Tell that to mother nature!! ;-)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise