Light steering

S13

May 9, 2006
Just bought my FR and find the steering very very light.

I know that on my Dad's Mk5 Golf you can change the amount of steering assist with VAG COM. Is this possible with the Mk4 Ibiza?

Cheers.

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
Vagcom will do it, go into the steering assist moduel then recode it, changing the 2nd from right digit up to 5 (5 been the heaviest)

eg.

00121 to 00151

I would write the original code down just in case then you can easily chang it back.

Makes hell of a difference to the feel of the car :)

Last edited:

S13

May 9, 2006
Thanks for the replies.

Now I just need to find someone / somewhere in the North East with vagcom that can do it for me :). Any suggestions anybody?

T. Spark

S13 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Now I just need to find someone / somewhere in the North East with vagcom that can do it for me :). Any suggestions anybody?

Try looking on e-bay for a cable? I really need one aswell, but I have a few people near me that have it so I can wait... always best to do it ya self..

Unless ur stupid :D

S13

May 9, 2006
I should get sorted by the weekend as a friend of a friend works for a VW main dealer and has offered to do it :) Lets hope he knows what he's doing!

Would you recommened going for the heaviest setting (5) then?

Cheers

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
S13 said:
Would you recommened going for the heaviest setting (5) then?
It is actually quite a subtle effect. I've got mine turned up to 5, and it's just about right. It certainly doesn't make the steering "heavy"; it just makes it slightly less light. If that makes any sense... :)

kohmikey

Black Ibiza SC Cupra
Oct 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
I haven't got vag-com but I do have a service coming up in the next couple of weeks, is it a bad idea to ask them to change my steering to a heavier setting. They shouldn't charge me for it should they?

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
you could mention to them that if feels too light and ask if they can do anything about it ;)

if they say no then you could say that you heared that it could be done....blah blah, you get the idea :)

kohmikey

Black Ibiza SC Cupra
Oct 14, 2005
Bedfordshire
Thanks,
i have called them this morning, they said yes they can look at the steering.

i also asked about the alarm chirp when locking or unlocking the car and they said they are not sure you can do that as they haven't done it before. I said 'i heard it could be done'. They are looking into it and will get back to me.

gazjones

ive found mine to be much heavier than my old 1.2 at slow speeds so looks like they are set up different if its set at 5 will it still have the speed sensitive steering?

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
I've just been out and done it on my FR (was 2) and it feels so much better, not quite as heavy as the MINI but not bad, if only we could make the steering quicker as well.

gazjones

cool bet its more responsive now what have you set it at now
then