Lightbulb warning but no bulbs blown.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
My lightbulb failure light is on on my 08 Cupra with factory fit Xenons, Bluetooth & convience pack 1.
The manual says the MFD will tell me which bulb has blown, but it doesn't. All bulbs appear to be working.

Any ideas? Is it likely to be the Xenons playing up?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
VCDS Will tell you what bulb it is! What it could be is that one of your side lights went off and then has come back on

Mine does it all the time

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
If you can't find any faulty bulbs (check number plate rear lights too?) or connections then I fear it may be the same fault that befell my Cupra and a few others with factory Bi-Xenons. VCDS can clear the lamp, but its likely to come back.

The fault could be linked to both or one of the main headlight lamp units. The way to see if the fault is connected to the lamp unit, is park the car in front of a wall or other solid surface. Or otherwise get someone to stand in front of it as you switch on the lights.

If the levelling system isn't working they may not move, or only one side may move, check they move when you steer too, they should move a little to the left and right as you steer in those directions.

Alternatively it could be associated with the main beam. They employ a kind of cover that blocks the main beam lamp when in dipped setup. A device is supposed to lift the cover to expose the full brightness, this then drops down when you select dipped beam. If its faulty, you might select main beam and find one or both of those covers drop after a few seconds even with main beam selected.

Any of those faults are likely to illuminate the orange warning lamp on the dash without a bulb out warning.

In my car the whole light unit was replaced. So speak to a dealer, I presume on an 08 your still in your warranty.

Last edited:

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Excellent, some good advice thanks.

The night before it happened I knock the light stalk backwards operating the flasher. This made a noticeable 'clunk' (probably the eyelid lifting) I then flashed a couple of time to listen to the noise as I had not heard it before. I held the flasher on and noticed that it reverted back to normal lights after a couple of seconds.

The next day the warning light was on (yesterday).

Then last night when I had finished work, the warning light had disappeared.
So when I went home I tried the main beam flashing again, same thing happened, it was reverting back to normal lights. I think the first couple of times I tried it it stayed on full beam. Then the warning light came on.

So I guess it's something to do with flashing your lights while stationary and/or engine not running and/or overheating.

Does anyone else's do this?

I'll try and take it to Seat when I can.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I found out today that if I drive with main beam on for a few seconds it resets the warning light!

Does anyone elses do this or is it just mine?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.