Lime Green Cupra K1 - Hybrid turbo

RyanC93

Dec 19, 2014
South Shields, Newcastle
Just to keep this abit updated , I have booked a stage 3 hybrid turbo remap with r tech for the 29th of June along with rs3 injectors + head mod , inlet valves walnut blasted , oil/fuel filter changed also. Hoping for some nice numbers :idea:

Also taking the wrap off the car on Friday and going back to silver :headhurt:

Reactions: Jairm88

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Sounds like you're about to have some fun haha

You taking the wrap off yourself? How longs it been on for you think?

You coming along to the national meet in July? Be great to see the car in the flesh...

RyanC93

Dec 19, 2014
South Shields, Newcastle
Yeh I hope it’s going to be worth it because going from stage 2+ To stage 3 with all the gear is really quite expensive , hope the gain is worth it Haha

And it’s been on 2 years now but since the wrap is matte it just gets dirty straight away and is hard to keep clean, me and my girl friend will just be pulling it off using a heat gun, then Its going in to get all the paint touched up on the Monday

And I would like to come to the meet , where would it be ? It’s just hard getting a baby sitter for 2 young kids :headhurt:

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Yeh I hope it’s going to be worth it because going from stage 2+ To stage 3 with all the gear is really quite expensive , hope the gain is worth it Haha

And it’s been on 2 years now but since the wrap is matte it just gets dirty straight away and is hard to keep clean, me and my girl friend will just be pulling it off using a heat gun, then Its going in to get all the paint touched up on the Monday

And I would like to come to the meet , where would it be ? It’s just hard getting a baby sitter for 2 young kids :headhurt:
Yeah I think @Legojon is in the same boat with regards stage 2+ but next bit is new turbo etc... What bhp do they quote for stage 3?

I was looking at a matt grey wrap but thanks for putting me off haha saved me some cash lol

The meet is on the 14th July at Donnington race track for the Trax event. Check out the first post in this thread for info on getting a club stand ticket. https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....ly-booking-information-and-discussion.450444/

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yeah I think @Legojon is in the same boat with regards stage 2+ but next bit is new turbo etc... What bhp do they quote for stage 3?

I was looking at a matt grey wrap but thanks for putting me off haha saved me some cash lol

Yup. I'd need a new turbo, injectors, LPFP, FPR valve and possibly some engine forging to hit 400-420bhp. Oh and the software (which isn't cheap even as an upgrade). Think I worked it about to about £7k.

Haha, I'd worry as I pulled the wrap off the original paint would come with it!!

RyanC93

Dec 19, 2014
South Shields, Newcastle
Yeh I wouldn’t ever get Matt vinyl wrap again, much prefer just to get it painted properly , hopefully the paint Isn’t damaged but who knows after 2 years of it being on

And they quote 400/430 I believe , but my car made 370bhp and stage 2+ and I’ve fitted water meth injection, colder plugs and bigger turbo inlet and outlet pipes since the remap so fingers crossed I will see over 420

Yes legojon I had to fit rs3 injectors + loom , rs3 intank pump , 2 or 3 updatered sensors and the turbo, I went for a stage 2 venom hybrid turbo as i didn’t want the turbo to be really laggy but the only problem with the stage 2 is there is 30/40 bhp difference to the stage 3 when remapping according to their website .. but I didn’t really want much more then 420 as the engine is still standard , ea113 seem to hold
Up well though .

I will have a look at the meet , cheers

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
So if we see a silver Cupra with bits of engine on the road we know it's you haha

I don't think we have any stage 3 MK2 Leons on the forum (active) these days... I'm sure Jon will be after some thoughts on it so he can start saving after the LSD he had fitted lol

The air vents in the bonnet... Do they cause issues with water or is it for show and they're actually sealed?

RyanC93

Dec 19, 2014
South Shields, Newcastle
Haha knowing my luck it will probably blow up ..
I haven’t even got lsd myself . With the car already having uprated gear box and engine mounts and Michelin super sport tyres on , i couldn’t really seeing lsd making that much more difference as the car is just to powerful in gear 1 and 2 . Having said that I had never been in a car with lsd..

Yeh there are for show and sealed , it was an absolute pain to cut the bonnet and seal them in properly

I don’t think there is actually to many stage 3 mk2’s out there to be fair , everything is just a pain to sort out for stage 3, I have to drive 200 miles down to r tech then 200 mile back , then same to pick it up again as Ben says niki needs my car for 2 weeks, just hope he can limit the torque no more then 450 ft lbs as the last thing I want is my clutch to start slipping lol

:think:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I think you should read this post from @Legojon when he had it fitted lol - https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....-blue-mk2-cupra-r.435417/page-14#post-4836957

I think he likes the LSD... You may want to start saving haha

Haha, was just replying.

I haven’t even got lsd myself . With the car already having uprated gear box and engine mounts and Michelin super sport tyres on , i couldn’t really seeing lsd making that much more difference as the car is just to powerful in gear 1 and 2 . Having said that I had never been in a car with lsd..

I don’t think there is actually to many stage 3 mk2’s out there to be fair , everything is just a pain to sort out for stage 3

I've got the full set of engine mounts. Had a Wavetrac fitted a couple of months back. It makes a massive difference, I was really surprised. Obviously in situations where both wheels lose grip your stuffed anyway. But especially on uneven roads and coming out of corners you can feel the power transfer pulling the car round.

My plan was to wait till the engine or the turbo sh!t themselves then upgrade / forge. Trouble is, best laid plans... had a head gasket leak a while back and would have been a good opportunity to do some bits. But things always go wrong when your short on time/money/need the car for work.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Taking the wrap off is not to bad did a caddy van at work the only place where it pulled the paint off was the bumpers and if any rust anywhere on the body work other than that it was all ok the wrap was on for 5 years took me around 4 hours to take it off but that was work time lol and not a rush to do as it was a van we got in with a blown engine and we was fixing it with a engine we had in a golf whit a bent rear subframe it’s going to be our workshop van

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanC93

Dec 19, 2014
South Shields, Newcastle
Jim my car has done 105,000 miles on it but I’ve owned it since around about 50,000 miles , had 2 cam belts done and always change oil / fuel filters every 3000 and spark plus every 10,000 so fingers crossed it will be ok. It has had a stage 1 map before I got it and I’ve done about 25k on stage 2+ , these early engines are very strong.

Legojon what sort of torque are you running ? I can just about manage to
Get away in 3rd gear in complete dryness with no wheel spin but 1st&2nd are a no no, over 405 ft lbs is serious amount in front wheel drive Lol

Yellow fr, did you take it off with a heat gun or anything, hopefully me and my girl friend and get it to peel in big bits which I think will save the paint abit

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Jim my car has done 105,000 miles on it but I’ve owned it since around about 50,000 miles , had 2 cam belts done and always change oil / fuel filters every 3000 and spark plus every 10,000 so fingers crossed it will be ok. It has had a stage 1 map before I got it and I’ve done about 25k on stage 2+ , these early engines are very strong.

Legojon what sort of torque are you running ? I can just about manage to
Get away in 3rd gear in complete dryness with no wheel spin but 1st&2nd are a no no, over 405 ft lbs is serious amount in front wheel drive Lol

I do oil/filter and spark plugs every 4k. But... the plugs I took out looked brand new, so may just do like you and every 10k. Oh and a cam follower ever year just to be safe. Can't find my dyno graph ... it's on here somewhere. I think 347lbs. Something like that. I know I could go to R-tech and prob score more, Revo is quite a safe map. 1st and 2nd were previously useless to me as well. Not sure if a LSD will help with that kind of power. But my car was miserable to drive till I had it fitted.

RyanC93

Dec 19, 2014
South Shields, Newcastle
Legojon , I’ve just read your post , what happened to your gearbox ? Did it just give up. How much did you end up spending on the lsd ? Wish I put one in when I had my clutch fitted ..

And yes it is Chris , what a small world we live in
:blink:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Legojon , I’ve just read your post , what happened to your gearbox ? Did it just give up. How much did you end up spending on the lsd ? Wish I put one in when I had my clutch fitted ..

Not a biggie. It started out it was difficult to get in first gear (other gears were fine). Eventually every other set of lights it wouldn't go into first gear without going back into neutral first. Oh and a couple of times it got stuck between first and neutral LOL. So it made sense to have the gearbox refurbed at the same time. Think it was about £1700 all in... keeping in mind the Wavetrac is about £1100 of that. Think the gearbox refurb was £250. Add in a handful of bearings and a couple of cylinders. Not too bad a price considering.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I did use a heat gun on low and did come off in big bits if you give to much heat it just rips and have to start again give it a bit off heat till it starts to come off the more you do a pattern will show it’s self and you will get it done in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbobcook
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members