Limp Mode after fitting Jetex air filter

jonnyblease

Jul 27, 2009
Hi all,

I fitted a Jetex filter with a jabbasport heatshield at the weekend, i am very pleased with end result as it feels a lot more responsive and sounds alot deeper and nicer. Also make a few whoosy noises:D. Previously ihad a smoothed airbox with green cotton panel filter.

For the first few days the car ran unbeleivably well and i was really impressed with overall improvement from fitting the jetex filter with the jabbasport heatshield and forge TIP and 90degree 70mm bend.

However last night i was on the motorway and the car would not boost over 5 psi (ipresume this is a limp mode) so i pulled over and checked for popped boost pipes etc... and there was nothing. I restarted the car and all was well until it did the same thing on the way home.

I have just ordered VAGCOM of ebay to give it a scan but has anybody have any ideas of things to check. In general the car is runnign not quite as smoothly as normal and feels a little jerkier when cold.

List of the mods are

Stage 1 Map (Star performance)
DV 007P
Jetex filter and heatshield
N75 F Valve
Forge TIP

Thanks in advance

Just to add: Once i got home i went for a drive too see if i could get the car into limp mode so i could try and diagnoce at what point it was going into the limp mode so i drove the car quite hard and nothing happened it ran fine.

jonnyblease

Jul 27, 2009
ok thanks, whats the log number?

i thought it could be the MAF, its weird though as i don't seem to be losing power when its not im limp mode :shrug: i thought it the MAF went down it would run really really badly not just abit jerky when cold and half throttle and occasionally going into limp mode.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Its been a while since I did anything on Vagcom, and on the forums, so I'm a ilttle rusty mate, but it could be that the MAF is on its way out.

You could try it by disconnecting the maf (pull the plug) next time it happens and take a drive. And see how it runs.

Someone else will answer this for you also.

I'll try to do some reading up, and will get back to you.

daves ibiza

id say maf or n75 bud but as above use vagcom . hope you get it sorted mate

daves ibiza

lol ive gone through 2 since ive had the car. have you tryed to unplug maf

jonnyblease

Jul 27, 2009
you have gone through 2 N75 Valves?? wow, no i haven't tried un plugging the maf as i just restarted the car and it ran fine its weird it only did it on the motorway.

Might order an N75 J Valve now if it isn't that least i have one anyway

daves ibiza

id say mate its n75 defo 100% ill put my money on it. this happend on my car boost coming in and out all the time you drive nice its ok then you give it the beans and woops limp mode 5psi. let me no how you get on mate.

yeah i had probs mate thats why i had 2 lol

n75j are not cheap i heard they aint all that anyway so i stuck with n75

jonnyblease

Jul 27, 2009
id say mate its n75 defo 100% ill put my money on it. this happend on my car boost coming in and out all the time you drive nice its ok then you give it the beans and woops limp mode 5psi. let me no how you get on mate.

yeah i had probs mate thats why i had 2 lol

n75j are not cheap i heard they aint all that anyway so i stuck with n75

It currently running a N75 F Valve so its not the standard C valve, i have been debating getting a J valve for a while now not sure whether to bite the bullet and get one as i have heard they are a little bit hit and miss.

anyone suggestions?

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
I'd also recommend chaing the FAQ section, and get your self some silicone hoses to replace the original Vac lines, if you haven't already done that.
Its worth the few quid.

The faq will have the sizes needed in there.

jonnyblease

Jul 27, 2009
Thanks

I have replaced the majority of the vac lines and have bypassed the N249 valve, Il look into replacing the rest of the vac lines with silcone ones. They look better anyway

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
i also had this problem or similar, drove to london...about 160miles and on the motorway on the way down there it went into limp mode for no reason...had to wait untill i got back home after driving limp all the way back, scanned with vagcom and no faults came up... only other thing i thought off was disconnecting the battery for half an hour, now its been running fine ever since and this was from july.

jonnyblease

Jul 27, 2009
my plan of action is to disconnect the battery for 10 mins and then clean the maf with some ispropyl solution as im now thinking that the light oil on the air filter has probably been sucked in by the maf.

thanks btw

jonnyblease

Jul 27, 2009
update, i have vagcom scanned the car with a freeware version below are the results; (please note i unplugged the maf the other day and drove it like that, seemd to be abit better/smoother) i have reset the ecu since though...

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Chassis Type: 6K - Seat Ibiza
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,25,35,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 6K0 906 032 AA
Component: 1.8L 20VT EU3 0002
Coding: 10500
Shop #: WSC 78131
3 Faults Found:
17536 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean
P1128 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16486 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0102 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
18010 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1602 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 1J0 907 379 AF
Component: ASR 20 IE CAN 0001
Coding: 13404
Shop #: WSC 00000
No fault code found.

how do i clear these fault codes and anyone any idea of possible causes, im thinking it must be the maf.

any help would be massively appreciated

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.