Limp Mode at high RPM - cupra 280

Graxxel

Jan 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

as titled I'm battling with a limp mode / EPC light problem. I couldn't find anything with my symptoms so im hoping one of you Smarties can help.

Cupra 280 Manual -

*symptoms when accelerating hard at 55+*

-EPC light comes on
-Drops 1 or 2 cylinders at around 5.5k rpm
- If you hold the throttle down regardless it will shut these cylinders down permanently (limp mode)
- turning car off and back on resets the light and limp mode is gone until further hard acceleration.

Sometimes it's worse than others. Rarely the car even let's me boost to 120+ without problem.

A friend hooked it up to VCDS and all it said was Cylinder 3 and 4 Over compression.

How can a cylinder gain compression unless a conrod has stretched etc? and if a conrod had stretched the problem wouldnt sometimes go away or get worse on and off..

Finally, there doesn't seem to be a pattern with what makes it worse or better.. Only thing 2 things I've noticed are, it tends to be worse in cupra mode. and it's defo worse if I have weight in the car, a heavy friend or such.

I have tried new spark plugs and new coil packs.. Can anyone throw any ideas at me? I just can't think of a problem that would give me these symptoms at high rpm, but no other problems elsewhere..

Any help is appreciated guys. Thank you for reading!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise