Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

linkage problem

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by street_sleeper, Apr 17, 2009.

1. driving last night, pulled up at lights, went for 1st then suddenly gears went sloppy and cuddnt get any gears, eventually found 3rd and managed to get home safely!

Now its not goin into any gears and you can hardly move it!
    Had all the center console out today but to be frank not quite sure wat i shud be expecting?

any help or pics please!

(03 lcr)

lee

2. skahigh

What makes you think its the linkage mate? Sounds like clutch to me. Can you put it into gear when the engine is off?

3. i dnt think its the clutch because as i said i eventually got it into third last nite and was able to drive it, pulling away in 3rd from various lights. i can manually put it into gears via the engine bay!

4. Seat Adam

Seat Adam Dirty Densel Driver

Take it all the linkages in the engine bay are all intact? Can you get somebody to sit in the car and move the gear lever through the gears and you watch the linkages to make sure they are moving?

5. ive jus been out to it and somehow managed to find reverse and it pulls away fine, no rattles etc. you can hardly move the gear stic at all let alone finding gears!
    i was having some trouble the last couple of days getting reverse, it wouldnt go in without pushing down hard rather than the smooth action it had before! wether thats to do with it!??

6. Seat Adam

Sounds like it could be the syncromesh in the box may be on its last legs. It could be jamming the linkages inside the box. There's not anything stopping the external linkages from moving is there, like a foreign object, ie, stick, rock?

7. Seat Adam

Other thing you could do is note which linkage goes where, disconnect them from the box and see if the stick moves, eliminates the stick and external linkages then.

8. there isnt anything physically stopping the linkage from moving ie stick, rock but will try removing external linkage like sudjested!

9. think its gona be a expensive fix cus jus removed linkage and gear stick moves freely.

box naked?

10. Seat Adam

Sorry to hear that. I suggest start looking in the yellow pages for box rebuilders or new/recon boxes. Have changed one at my last garage, on a 1.9TDI Bora, same box, almost. Heavy unit. Took three of us to lift it out. Need a ramp, engine lifter and that sort of stuff. I think it cost him about a grand. Don't quote me on that though. Don't know where it was sourced from. Was at a Nationwide Autocentre but don't recommend taking it to them as they'll rip you off then give your car a good kicking up the road to check it out if you know what I mean.

11. think the gear selector has broken off inside the box if that makes sense, got my mate coming round who works for the aa to agree with my conclusion!
    need to start saving then, wont be using it for a while! lol

thanks to everyone thats helped me out!

oh well these things happen!