Liquid gauge readings (04 cupra 150) - Has my car been mapped?

mpsheen

Liquid gauge readings (04 cupra 150)

Hi guys,
My first post here, Just got rid of the PD100 polo sport.

I picked up a 2004 leon cupra with 65k on the clock on the 27th and recently just had a good mate of mine hook his liquid gauge up.
On a run the gauge seemed to think the car made:
170bhp peak
250 torque
Boost pressure of 25psi
Intake temp was showing 14 degrees (outside was about 4 ~ 5)

On his car, the gauge is pretty much spot on with its readings.

I’ve searched around the net and can see varied results, from what I can see remaps can go over the 300 torque mark and some are limited to 280 due to the clutch limitation due to booting it off from a standstill or low down in the rev range. However I also see that the PD150 can make a safe boost of 25 when mapped so this is confusing me/

My question is, Do the readings above sound accurate, or could this car have been tinkered with? – I’m concerned as I declare everything to my insurance company and I genuinely don’t know if this has been messed with. I was planning on getting a remap further down the line once I get another years no claims as I can see them putting my insurance up.
Are there any easy ways to tell?
I know if I plant my foot, I get a kick at about 3k and pulls a lot stronger.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edit:
quick side note, theres almost a small choo noise when I change gear like I hear with TDI;s with a straight pipe.
If I go from say 1st at 2000rpm to 2nd gear it go choo, Is this normal? - could it be a bearing of some kind?
edit2: But been told this is turbo chatter

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Forget the power and torque readings from a gauge like that.....

Boos pressure would indicate a map of some sort as they don't run 25psi as standard. Where are you based?

Without hearing the sound its impossible to say what it could be

mpsheen

I thought the boost pressure sounded high for 'standard'

The noise is pretty much exactly the same as this video at the 11 second mark but not as noticeable as this bora:
youtube.com/watch?v=0tBG3Li0FU4

From what I can see to the eye, the exhaust looks standard so don't think that's been touched, I'm based in Basingstoke

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
My old Golf (PD130) used to do that, generally a result of lots of boost at low rpm.

Shame you're not closer, but if you hit and hold 25psi then its fairly safe to say that you have some kind of map on there. Does your liquid gauge show fueling? if not, do you have VCDS?

mpsheen

ahh I see

I'm sure too sure as the guage is owned by my neighbour, we ran out in my car earlier as he was outside tinkering and both were interested what it would show. I’ve got a feeling it was just peak boost.

I have the cheaper lead from years back, I currently don’t have access to a genuine lead anymore. I’ll give it a try and report back

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
If it's peak it could be a spike/overboost.
If you had VCDs you could log boost and fuelling to know for sure(was block 011 and 008 in my Golf).

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
25 psi peak sounds right, my pd150 Leon cupra is standard except for cold air feed and blocked off EGR and I get 1.7bar psi holding at 1.4/1.5bar which is 25 psi spike down to 21 psi. HTH.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.