Loan Car

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Hi Everyone!
My 2016 Ibiza FR 1.0TSI DSG was in for it's second service today. I was given keys to a loan car and sent on my way. Usually, I get a Mii, but this time it turns out I'd landed a 67 plate Ibiza, so thought I'd ask a few questions and give some thoughts in comparison to my existing (old shape) Ibiza.

Firstly, when I got into the car I didn't know what model it was, or what engine it had as I'm not too familiar with specs of the new models. It had alloys but the interior was drab, dull and basic with the standard (small) infotainment screen and grey seats.
On first impressions, the steering wheel does look to be leather covered and so is the handbrake cover, but it seems lower grade (if that's even possible?) and not as smooth as the leather in my car.

On starting the car up I thought "oh great, I've got the lowest of the lowest spec with the 1 litre non-turbocharged engine!" - went to look for my usual DAB stations and found they're not there...because it doesn't have DAB! So connected my phone, started Spotify and got on my way.

Driving down the road, the car handles the imperfections very well and potholes are much less noticeable than in my car. Although this could be down to the soft suspension and tyre size in this car compared to the FR suspension in mine and the 17" tyres. Road noise is about the same as my car which I was disappointed with as I thought this is the one area that needed improvement from the MK5 to the MK6 but sadly they haven't addressed it.

On my way, I was having a really hard time telling whether this was the N/A 1.0 engine or the TSI 90/95 or whatever it's called. It was extremely loud and had the characteristics of the Mii's I've driven in the past but I thought it picked up better than the Mii's so I was very confused! It vibrated at idle, which my 1.0 110HP TSI doesn't do. Engine noise in the cabin was very intrusive and the engine was very loud and sounded like the Mii engine.

How shocked I was when I got to work and entered the reg into My CarCheck. It's an Ibiza SE 1.0TSI 95HP. I couldn't believe it. I honestly thought it was the N/A 1.0 and I must say I'm not impressed at all with it. I can't believe how much difference there is between this one and my 1.0 TSI 110, it's like night and day.

There's a rattle coming from either the glove box or the bottom of the fan control area somewhere over rough road too.

All in all, I'm quite disappointed with my experience with the new spec Ibiza. I'd expected more. I'd be very interested to try the 1.5EVO engine in the FR trim to compare trim level to my car. From what I've read, the FR spec looks a hell of a lot better than this SE spec. I'd 100% not go for one of these 'newer' 1.0 TSI engines - what's different between these newer ones and my two year old one? Very strange!

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Cant say I find road noise an issue at all in my Mk5.

Your FR suspension but more likely the type of tyre fitted make all the difference I guess.

I've got OEM Dunlop SP Fast Response - grippy and quiet in a 45 profile.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Hi Everyone!
My 2016 Ibiza FR 1.0TSI DSG was in for it's second service today. I was given keys to a loan car and sent on my way. Usually, I get a Mii, but this time it turns out I'd landed a 67 plate Ibiza, so thought I'd ask a few questions and give some thoughts in comparison to my existing (old shape) Ibiza.

Firstly, when I got into the car I didn't know what model it was, or what engine it had as I'm not too familiar with specs of the new models. It had alloys but the interior was drab, dull and basic with the standard (small) infotainment screen and grey seats.
On first impressions, the steering wheel does look to be leather covered and so is the handbrake cover, but it seems lower grade (if that's even possible?) and not as smooth as the leather in my car.

On starting the car up I thought "oh great, I've got the lowest of the lowest spec with the 1 litre non-turbocharged engine!" - went to look for my usual DAB stations and found they're not there...because it doesn't have DAB! So connected my phone, started Spotify and got on my way.

Driving down the road, the car handles the imperfections very well and potholes are much less noticeable than in my car. Although this could be down to the soft suspension and tyre size in this car compared to the FR suspension in mine and the 17" tyres. Road noise is about the same as my car which I was disappointed with as I thought this is the one area that needed improvement from the MK5 to the MK6 but sadly they haven't addressed it.

On my way, I was having a really hard time telling whether this was the N/A 1.0 engine or the TSI 90/95 or whatever it's called. It was extremely loud and had the characteristics of the Mii's I've driven in the past but I thought it picked up better than the Mii's so I was very confused! It vibrated at idle, which my 1.0 110HP TSI doesn't do. Engine noise in the cabin was very intrusive and the engine was very loud and sounded like the Mii engine.

How shocked I was when I got to work and entered the reg into My CarCheck. It's an Ibiza SE 1.0TSI 95HP. I couldn't believe it. I honestly thought it was the N/A 1.0 and I must say I'm not impressed at all with it. I can't believe how much difference there is between this one and my 1.0 TSI 110, it's like night and day.

There's a rattle coming from either the glove box or the bottom of the fan control area somewhere over rough road too.

All in all, I'm quite disappointed with my experience with the new spec Ibiza. I'd expected more. I'd be very interested to try the 1.5EVO engine in the FR trim to compare trim level to my car. From what I've read, the FR spec looks a hell of a lot better than this SE spec. I'd 100% not go for one of these 'newer' 1.0 TSI engines - what's different between these newer ones and my two year old one? Very strange!

Oh oh, surely its 195/55 profile tyres can't be louder than 'our' 215/40 R17s!
I am surprised about the 'lack of power' of 95PS though, how many miles did it the courtesy car have, perhaps it has crap fuel in it...I wonder if it has been misquoted on the thing...as 1.0TSI and not 1.0MPI, as you mentiond you had the Mii with this MPI engine before, and you thought it was that...also I thought the 1.0TSI only came with specs SE Tech (this I guess would be with Sat Nav) or above (I could be wrong though).

Our 1.0TSI 110 is almost inaudible unless I push it past 4k rpms (at least this is my experience when my music is on 1/3.

Bobbetybob

Feb 28, 2018
Definitely sounds like an SE or S (anything above has the bigger infotainment screen or DAB) and on the configurator, as KXL said, you can only pick either the 75ps 1 litre or 1.6 diesel for those models so MyCarCheck might have the data wrong.

As others have said, if it is the 95ps that's completely at odds with my experience from the test drive, it pulled nicely, was quiet and refined and definitely wasn't rattly.

The only oddity then is it feeling quicker than the Mii because looking at the specs it should be about a second slower to 60.

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
I've just spotted on the configurator that you can have an SE design with the 1.0TSI. The alloys in the stock image also match the ones it was wearing. Heres the screengrab from MyCarCheck:

https://ibb.co/jgU9Zc

Edit: gov.uk also has it down as 106g/I'm which could only be the 1.0TSi?

Last edited:

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Definitely sounds like an SE or S (anything above has the bigger infotainment screen or DAB) and on the configurator, as KXL said, you can only pick either the 75ps 1 litre or 1.6 diesel for those models so MyCarCheck might have the data wrong.

As others have said, if it is the 95ps that's completely at odds with my experience from the test drive, it pulled nicely, was quiet and refined and definitely wasn't rattly.

The only oddity then is it feeling quicker than the Mii because looking at the specs it should be about a second slower to 60.

Like you say, it could have rubbish fuel in it. I agree with you that our 1.0TSi 110 is not audiable until around 4k rpm. Maybe it's literally just a lack of sound deadening in these new cars compared to ours?

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Engine noise in the cabin was very intrusive and the engine was very loud and sounded like the Mii engine.

The 1.5 TSI is quite noisy too when you rev it up. You can hear the turbo whistling, it's certainly a lot noisier than my previous Leon 1.4 TSI.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Like you say, it could have rubbish fuel in it. I agree with you that our 1.0TSi 110 is not audiable until around 4k rpm. Maybe it's literally just a lack of sound deadening in these new cars compared to ours?

We have been spoilt with our 1.0 TSI 110 in our SC...I was 'entering' the A406 (50mph limit) waiting at a red traffic light, and I was the first in line.put the shiting to S mode..so when it went green, why not? It does go...and then some...
I still think Seat 'under quotes' the power. I call BS on 110, probably more 120+. It was running Esso 97 though.

Oh btw...had a 14 mile trip from wood green to mine, mainly quiet A406 (40-50mph), and some quiet city roads (20-30mph), little traffic, 59mpg :).

I do often wonder, how else is the 1.0 TSI quoting 9+ secs, and a Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost 140PS (and more torque) quoting approximately the same acceleration credentials.

*also how are you 'only' getting 38.8 mpg on yours? Rush hour traffic? My Long term over 1300 miles is around 44-46 mpg, ok well, if I put around 20-22 liters in the tank...when the red light is on, I will get around 200 miles before it comes on again. Not sure what that is in 'real' mpg.

Last edited:

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Yup it's rush hour traffic coupled with me trying to have fun on every inch of road before I get to another queue :D

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Yup it's rush hour traffic coupled with me trying to have fun on every inch of road before I get to another queue :D

My record is about 26mpg for a trip after 7-8 miles, from start (central London) to stop (near Westfield) lots of roadworks, and bumper to bumper traffic. On the other extreme...record is 63 mpg.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
...so not quite the official combined EU lies of 64.2mpg then ;)

Yes, I will never get that figure...as the car isn't 'running' on a rolling road treadmill nor do the official figures include thing that exist in the real world called traffic haha. Plus both FR2013 and I have 17 inch 215/40 tyres...although FR2013 likes to boot it, I like to 'lift it.'

Saying that...I normally take the 'urban' figures as what I could realistically get in a real world combined, and the official combined as what I could potentially get on 'extra urban' real world, and minus 10mpg from offical 'urban' figures to real world urban figures.

So from 53/64/72 offical (on rolling road)
Real world 43/53/64 (on real roads with light flowing traffic) is definately possible.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Toledos drop about 3 mpg when fitted with 215/40R17 option instead of the standard 15s.
A/C chops another 3 mpg off but I rarely turn it off.
Stop start gains 3 mpg overall.

In 4 years I've never had a better long term figure than 49 from the 1.2 and 46 from the 1.0

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.