Location of auto leveling sensor

Oct 4, 2019
Hi all this is my first post. Hope all are well. I have a MK3 seat Leon (2013) with tech pack led lights. The lights have been fine but recently they are far to low on dipped beam. I have tried the usual of adjusting the screws to raise the lights but it seems to make no difference.

To give some background my car went in for a MOT recently and they had to replace the rear passenger side spring as fractured . Now I feel this is where the leveling sensor is but I couldn't see it to check it and feel like the garage has either moved it or removed it Does any one have an idea of where it is or a picture of its location ( diagram etc ) so I can have a look at the sensor .

Thank you all.on advance

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Hi and welcome to the forum!

From what I can tell from ETKA there is one on each corner of the car which attaches to the suspension.

Has this problem only been present since it's been into the garage? They may have damaged or not replaced it if so.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
This is what the diagram on ETKA shows:

Front (Item 20 for the sensor):
yZkacP3.png

Rear (Item `7 for the sensor):
ErPgxq2.png

Unfortunately it doesn't specifically show how they connect.

Oct 4, 2019
Ever since the spring has been replaced. Are they directly attached to the spring or on the rear axel . Thank you again and thanks for the welcome . :drive1:

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Just had a look on my Leon and on the rear the only side with the sensor is the passenger side as can be seen here (to the right of the image):
aU1hyjb.jpg

To replace a spring the rear beam would have to be lowered, and that sensor would have to be disconnected for sure. I would personally take it back to them and tell them the lights haven't levelled correctly since they've done the work and that you know a levelling sensor exists in the area they've worked on.

Not 100% sure if these sensor's can be re-calibrated as maybe that is all that needs to be done if they can. Hopefully someone with more experience of dealing with them can answer that.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I have always been under the impression that Leon's only ever had one levelling sensor. On the rear passenger side of the car (UK cars anyway). This seemed to fit everything others had said and checking parts etc. And when people had lowered their cars they've had to adjust them through VCDS.

However when checking the parts for a face-lift car, it appears there are 2 senors on these, which explains the fact that my car although now lowered doesn't have the same VCDS options, but the lights still seem very good.

Happy to be wrong about the pre face-lift, but still not 100% they will have a sensor at the front, I'm sure my 280 hadn't.

Reactions: csd_19 and Lozzy15

Deleted member 103408

Just to add to this thread.

My 280 was lowered a lot and had no issues with lights (and I got them checked after they had lowered it)

My setup is the same as the picture (eg front sensors) above and I have since had them removed after the new wishbone were fitted.

Oct 4, 2019
Im not sure if the sensor is removed if it will just revert to manual adjustment using the screws only and not try and auto level or if I should just try and get it fixed, It's a good a garage but they probably got the newbie to do the job and they tend to work on older cars . I will call them and see what they say. The part is around £40 I think so shouldn't be too costly.:)

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
Im not sure if the sensor is removed if it will just revert to manual adjustment using the screws only and not try and auto level or if I should just try and get it fixed, It's a good a garage but they probably got the newbie to do the job and they tend to work on older cars . I will call them and see what they say. The part is around £40 I think so shouldn't be too costly.:)

Had an issue with the sensor on my Leon, if its removed then the lights will point to the floor and you'll get an error about the lights not being able to level

Oct 4, 2019
Had an issue with the sensor on my Leon, if its removed then the lights will point to the floor and you'll get an error about the lights not being able to level
I'm surprised I'm not getting an error at the moment with the sensor wiggling around . I now have an issue with the lights shining too high I have messed around with the screws and it's now sitting in a place where I am not blinding people but the the auto level messes everything back up it just needs to be repaired I think . It's a right pain :censored:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I'm surprised I'm not getting an error at the moment with the sensor wiggling around . I now have an issue with the lights shining too high I have messed around with the screws and it's now sitting in a place where I am not blinding people but the the auto level messes everything back up it just needs to be repaired I think . It's a right pain :censored:
Did you say you adjusted them manually. They may now be too high due to the manual adjustment?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.