Long pressing unlock on key to open windows suddenly stopped working

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
Suddenly out of the blue long pressing the lock or unlock button on the key no longer opens and closes windows and sunroof. It's still turned on in the vehicle settings , any idea on how to solve this ?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
A couple of things to try:

1. Turn ignition on, but don’t start car. Check operation of all of the windows is ok up and down. Sometimes if they haven’t been opened or closed for a while, they don’t move freely which can knock out the calibration on the window upper/lower stops. If all working ok, for each window in turn, lower using the button, but keep the button depressed after it reaches its lowest point (approximately 5 seconds, until you hear a click), then raise the window, but keep the switch held up when fully closed (again for approximately 5 seconds until you hear a click). This procedure recalibrates the windows - not too sure about the sunroof, but would expect it to be the same procedure. Once you have done this, it should work if selected.

2. Does the battery in the key fob need replacing or has it been replaced? If low battery, you usually get a warning on the dash. If battery has been replaced then there is a procedure post fitment of the battery. I will find the link that I posted before with how to do this.

Reactions: Mohamed emarah

Mohamed emarah

Mar 27, 2019
Egypt
A couple of things to try:

1. Turn ignition on, but don’t start car. Check operation of all of the windows is ok up and down. Sometimes if they haven’t been opened or closed for a while, they don’t move freely which can knock out the calibration on the window upper/lower stops. If all working ok, for each window in turn, lower using the button, but keep the button depressed after it reaches its lowest point (approximately 5 seconds, until you hear a click), then raise the window, but keep the switch held up when fully closed (again for approximately 5 seconds until you hear a click). This procedure recalibrates the windows - not too sure about the sunroof, but would expect it to be the same procedure. Once you have done this, it should work if selected.

2. Does the battery in the key fob need replacing or has it been replaced? If low battery, you usually get a warning on the dash. If battery has been replaced then there is a procedure post fitment of the battery. I will find the link that I posted before with how to do this.
Thank you so much for your helpful prompt response! The key's battery is still 4 months old so I'm sure it's not the problem I tried the first step all the windows are fine except the driver's window long pressing the down window button should normally make it go all the way down without me holding the button, that's not the case it doesn't go all the way down unless I keep holding the button till it full opens :(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members