Longevity of Michelin PS4 tyres ?

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
what sort of mileage are PS4 users getting out their tyres before needing replaced?

I'm 10K in on a set on the front and will likely be on the wear markers by 12K miles.

Great tyre but is this their typical lifespan? I'm a bit disappointed by that tbh

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I’ve had mine on for 14 months, 23k Miles, but I do about 70% motorway driving. I have 4.5mm left on my fronts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
A similar discussion was had a while back and one guy with near on 400bhp driven hard by his own admission is getting around 17k on Michelin Ps4. I really need to try these as 7k from oem fitment Conti's is crap.
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/front-tyre-life-on-cupra-300.441886/#post-4754697

Yeah that was me :)

I’m still on the same set, and have even more power now. But I do more motorway driving now which probably helps the life. However as the M6 is in such poor condition anyway, maybe it doesn’t?

Reactions: Wings988

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire

I’m still on the same set, and have even more power now. But I do more motorway driving now which probably helps the life. However as the M6 is in such poor condition anyway, maybe it doesn’t?

The M6 is a joke of a road between Stoke and Manchester all the road works and inside lane is horrendous for pot holes. I'd hate to ride that on a bike. Now just need to clock the miles on my new 300 and get some Ps4. Luckily the contishites lasted long enough for the 280 to go back without needing replacement.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
my original tyres (Pirelli) the front ones lasted about 5,600m I have then run Michelin SuperSports for well over 20k on the front! only swapped them out the other day because the chords were showing on the inside edge. they had about another 2-3k worth of tread across the rest of the tyre.

That isn't motorway miles either. its lots of dual carriage ways in MK, stop start, accelerate, break action.

I've put it down to learning how to control the on/off throttle and not spinning the wheels are every chance.

Reactions: paddy6789

Kenton

Jun 19, 2018
my original tyres (Pirelli) the front ones lasted about 5,600m I have then run Michelin SuperSports for well over 20k on the front! only swapped them out the other day because the chords were showing on the inside edge. they had about another 2-3k worth of tread across the rest of the tyre.

That isn't motorway miles either. its lots of dual carriage ways in MK, stop start, accelerate, break action.

I've put it down to learning how to control the on/off throttle and not spinning the wheels are every chance.
My second set of Michelin PS4's now, looking to get around 12k with a possible front to back swap (Cupra ST 290 FWD) doing mainly Sunny Dunstable to Bletchley and back every day on the A5. Perhaps I could take some lessons from you!

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Pretty sure this thread is pointless as the OP has a 184, and 18" wheels, so he has the basic PS4, whereas I would imagine the Cupra owners have the 19's and the much better PS4S... 2 completely different tyres, in completely different sizes, on completely different cars...

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Reactions: N8KOW and Jaco2k

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Driving routes and style play a massive part in the way tyres wear too. I'm at 25k on my Bridgestone and shortly due to be replaced, driving casually on my commute on national spec limit flowing a road and dual carriageway with some more spirited driving when traffic allows. My mum on the other just does a lot of town driving and a lot of start stop, tight turns etc in a 75bhp clio and she only manages 13k on hers (different tyres I might add), just proving that there are too many variables to compare tyre wear effectively

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
Pretty sure this thread is pointless as the OP has a 184, and 18" wheels, so he has the basic PS4, whereas I would imagine the Cupra owners have the 19's and the much better PS4S... 2 completely different tyres, in completely different sizes, on completely different cars...

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
I think you've just hit the nail on the head, ukoldschool.

Reactions: ukoldschool

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
So to update,
Seems I was a bit premature to question the Michelin's longevity. I replaced them today after over 15K miles on the front. I could maybe have squeezed another few miles out them but with the arrival of the scottish monsoon season it was wise to replace them now.

Bought another 2 PS4's. Really impressed with them. Also what was noticeable was how they maintained their performance right to the end. I've had other tyres in the past that have suffered a serious performance drop once they were past 50% worn.

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
So to update,
Seems I was a bit premature to question the Michelin's longevity. I replaced them today after over 15K miles on the front. I could maybe have squeezed another few miles out them but with the arrival of the scottish monsoon season it was wise to replace them now.

Bought another 2 PS4's. Really impressed with them. Also what was noticeable was how they maintained their performance right to the end. I've had other tyres in the past that have suffered a serious performance drop once they were past 50% worn.

Out of curiosity, what PSI do you keep yours at? I also have a 184 fr, on 18inch. Estate

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Yours are PS4S's not PS4's.

PS4S's aren't available in 18's.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.