Longlife Exhausts - OMG! Nasty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
This is interesting - LongLife market themselves as a different business, but you say they use PowerFlow silencers?

I have heard many good things about LongLife at Falfield (I assume this is where you're on about) from various local motorsport guys around Bristol and the one time i've had them need to make something up for me (link pipe for a certain 4-1 tubular manifold) the job was carried out efficiently to a good standard using what appear to be quality materials. That said, I left it with them and said "Anytime you get chance through the week..." would be fine.

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
I have a Powerflow dealer near me, but I wont be using them based on previous (Non exhaust related) work they done for me, including:

* They fitted my Brembos upside down!!!!!
* They didn't tighten the bolts holding the calipers on, the top nut came out, the caliper fell into the wheel and the front right wheel locked at 60mph!!!!!!!!!! Lucky to be alive!!!
* When fitting my new wheels (Same time as getting the Brembos fitted) they knocked my wing mirror off as they walked past with a wheel.
* When they finished fitting the wheels they lowered the jack and yanked it out. The jack wasn't low enough to clear the sideskirts and so they snapped the sideskirt right off!!!!!

Thats just some of the stuff they have done... there is more!

Anyway, somehow I don't think I'll be going to them for any exhaust work!

Other than Longlife and Powerflow can anyone recommend a company that makes custom exhausts. I'm thinkin about fitting a 2.75" system for my IHI conversion... but I'll probably make do with the 2.5" Jetex though.

Cheers
Ben

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Originally posted by hopkinsgm
This is interesting - LongLife market themselves as a different business, but you say they use PowerFlow silencers?

I have heard many good things about LongLife at Falfield (I assume this is where you're on about) from various local motorsport guys around Bristol and the one time i've had them need to make something up for me (link pipe for a certain 4-1 tubular manifold) the job was carried out efficiently to a good standard using what appear to be quality materials. That said, I left it with them and said "Anytime you get chance through the week..." would be fine.

Aye Falfield mate...
The Powerflow was on one of the piccies in their many photo albums in the waiting room (calling it a room is a bit erm.... generous :p)

They don't call themselves Powerflow or anything... but I suspect are not unrelated either past present or future.

You would think a straight bit of pipe, from cat, to rear box with 2 bends would'nt be too difficult. I only went in for a quote, but the guy said we could do it now for you.... Much to the fitters dismay... This may have been the crux of the problem.. Bad attitude, got a strop on from the beginniing, cobbled form one mystake to the next. What I don't excuse, is then trying to bodge their way out of the basically rubbish pipework laddy had formed, they then wanted to cut off brackets from under the car so it would'nt rub!! No Way..hosay!

The quality is shite. The boss man was the one suggesting to cut off brackets, so they are all tarred with the same brush. Bodge Tastic. I would guess the 'boys' with their 5" tail pipes on their Saxo's and Clio 1.2's only care how shiney and noisy it all is, with no care or clue as to how they actually fitted it.

Dissapointing, and a waste of money & time. Going to have to remake adecent pipe setup now as there is no way this shite is staying on my car. I at least have a pattern now to make something properly myself... the orignal Miltek front pipe. As an aside also tho... the Miltek rear box is mostly shagged anyhow... not too much packing left in it now :rolleyes: Been on there maybe 18-20 months now. Are'nt they lifetime guaranteed? :)

Bill

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Originally posted by BenS1
Other than Longlife and Powerflow can anyone recommend a company that makes custom exhausts. I'm thinkin about fitting a 2.75" system for my IHI conversion... but I'll probably make do with the 2.5" Jetex though.

Cheers
Ben

Ben
Do you know that Jabba will have a full exhaust system available for the IHI... specificly made for them along with the new downpipe cat section. Large Single Oval as I understand it.

regards
bill

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Originally posted by ibizacupra
...in the waiting room (calling it a room is a bit erm.... generous :p)...
Can't comment on the photo albums as I didn't hang around long enough. I took a look at the waiting room and that was one of the reasons I left it with them for the week - I wasn't in a hurry (still have final assembly left to do even now...

It sounds very much like you may have caught them at a bad time - this is not an excuse for shoddy workmanship however. I am surprised though - I know a few guys who run exhausts made and fitted by LongLife at Falfield on competition cars and all have been happy with them. I understand they also make exhausts for Dialynx - I don't know Keith Murray well but he certainly doesn't strike me as being the kinda guy who would put up with sh1te quality workmanship.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Originally posted by hopkinsgm
Can't comment on the photo albums as I didn't hang around long enough. I took a look at the waiting room and that was one of the reasons I left it with them for the week - I wasn't in a hurry (still have final assembly left to do even now...

It sounds very much like you may have caught them at a bad time - this is not an excuse for shoddy workmanship however. I am surprised though - I know a few guys who run exhausts made and fitted by LongLife at Falfield on competition cars and all have been happy with them. I understand they also make exhausts for Dialynx - I don't know Keith Murray well but he certainly doesn't strike me as being the kinda guy who would put up with sh1te quality workmanship.

I know mate... he said Dylinx were a customer.
There were a few competition cars in the album, but to be honest even those looked shabby on the manifolds they had created. I'll be dealing with some local tube benders on stainless pipe and TIG them up myself.

The workmanship on mine is plain shite tho... as was their attitude to the job. The lad having a bad day perhaps... but then the bodging suggestions by the older guy, was a joke. Instead of doing it right, bodge this, space that, cut the other!!!!! OMG!

Won't be spending any more of my money with them. Sux.

:sick: :repuke:

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Many years ago I had an exhaust made up for my Suzuki Swift GTi by Janspeed in Salisbury. They were a very professional outfit and the system which included a full tubular manifold and and full system with flame traps removed (made car spit nice flames on overrun) was of exceptional quality. I am not sure if they are still operating but may be worth a try.

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Ben
Do you know that Jabba will have a full exhaust system available for the IHI... specificly made for them along with the new downpipe cat section. Large Single Oval as I understand it.

regards
bill

No didn't know that. Last time I spoke to them it was still Jetex they were using!

What bore is it? I'll have to enquire.

Don't like single oval though. :(

Ben

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Originally posted by BenS1
No didn't know that. Last time I spoke to them it was still Jetex they were using!

What bore is it? I'll have to enquire.

Don't like single oval though. :(

Ben

LOL... to tailpipe preferences..

Bore is 2.5" I believe.... in stainless.
Jetex is good too tho.

Not seen their Ibiza one yet.

Bill

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
LOL... to tailpipe preferences..

Bore is 2.5" I believe.... in stainless.
Jetex is good too tho.

Not seen their Ibiza one yet.

Bill

Do you know why they are using their own designed systems? If they are 2.5" bore just like the Jetex systems, then why don't they just use the Jetex systems?

I'll speak to them soon.

Cheers
Ben

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Originally posted by aceman
Many years ago I had an exhaust made up for my Suzuki Swift GTi by Janspeed in Salisbury. I am not sure if they are still operating but may be worth a try.

Afraid Janspeed sunk a couple of years ago :(

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Originally posted by mik
Afraid Janspeed sunk a couple of years ago :(

The sign is still up on the industrial estate near Old Sarum in Salisbury. Drive by it frequently on my way down to AutoT.

Were they bought out?

Bill

SPS

Krazy Cupra Kid
Apr 2, 2002
cambridge
Visit site
jabba IHI exhaust

i think they have got blueflame to do the exhausts.

As for the tailpipe was told it would look just like the jetex one twin rounded pipes.

gonna cost around £290 they said, plus it will match up with the sports cat or whatever the linking pipe is. They said they would have to modify my milltek? to fit. so it looks like i'm gonna have that one. plus mine bangs 24/7 at the mo and its pissing me off.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Re: jabba IHI exhaust

Originally posted by SPS
i think they have got blueflame to do the exhausts.

As for the tailpipe was told it would look just like the jetex one twin rounded pipes.

gonna cost around £290 they said, plus it will match up with the sports cat or whatever the linking pipe is. They said they would have to modify my milltek? to fit. so it looks like i'm gonna have that one. plus mine bangs 24/7 at the mo and its pissing me off.

Twin round? Oval... oh well.... Have to wait and see.

Longlife Jason

Hi

I know this is a really old thread but as it comes up on a google search when looking for my company I wanted to reply to the original post and maybe give you some information.

Back when the original post was made it may have been that Longlife used other people's silencers. Since that time there have been huge steps forward in the materials we use and the techniques used for making exhausts. Topgear (the company for which I work)purchased the Longlife company last year and since then we have appointed a number of new franchises across the UK.

We use ONLY T304 Grade Stainless Steel in our exhausts - that's both the tubing and all the metal in the silencers as well. We also TIG weld our systems rather than MIG weld them which will look much nicer.

As a group i'm sure there are a number of you who have had experiences with Longlife and some of our competitors in the past - some good experiences and some bad. I would like to offer my assistance and advice to you should you need or want it.

That's all i'll say for now and i'll also try and PM an admin with something I can do for the club. If an admin sees this and could PM me if i'm not successful though that would be great.

Thanks for reading

Jason Freeman
Longlife Stainless Steel Exhausts

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Hi

I know this is a really old thread but as it comes up on a google search when looking for my company I wanted to reply to the original post and maybe give you some information.

Back when the original post was made it may have been that Longlife used other people's silencers. Since that time there have been huge steps forward in the materials we use and the techniques used for making exhausts. Topgear (the company for which I work)purchased the Longlife company last year and since then we have appointed a number of new franchises across the UK.

We use ONLY T304 Grade Stainless Steel in our exhausts - that's both the tubing and all the metal in the silencers as well. We also TIG weld our systems rather than MIG weld them which will look much nicer.

As a group i'm sure there are a number of you who have had experiences with Longlife and some of our competitors in the past - some good experiences and some bad. I would like to offer my assistance and advice to you should you need or want it.

That's all i'll say for now and i'll also try and PM an admin with something I can do for the club. If an admin sees this and could PM me if i'm not successful though that would be great.

Thanks for reading

Jason Freeman

Thanks for taking the time to reply. As enthusiasts we expect nothing but the best materials to be used and the the highest standrds of workmanship to be applied. Many horror stories heard in the past BUT if things have changed i would be happy to give you a try.

Longlife Jason

Thanks for the reply. I think as with any other franchise business there are going to be good and not so good centres. I do think that the ones we have appointed are all very capable of doing a good job but if there are any stories that suggest otherwise I would always want to hear about it as our reputation as a brand is of paramount importance to me.

If you wish to give us a try, call me on 0844 800 2960 and i'll ensure that you get a very good price. Perhaps in return you could report back on your experience, good or bad to the forum. I would hope it will all be good though. I'm going to be away on business from next Wednesday 29th until the following Wednesday. In my absence my colleague Lisa will answer the phone - she will be able to get hold of me although i'm in a different time zone so please bear with her.

Kind Regards

Jason Freeman

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members