Longlife Exhausts - OMG! Nasty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebormint

Sep 17, 2008
Swindon
Yes we can do this without a problem. There is no legal requirement at the moment for a Diesel to have a cat (my car is a 53 plate and I have no problems without the cat). At Head Office we are also and MOT testing station so I am 100% sure of the ruling on this.

If you can PM me the location of the depot who told you this I can give them a ring and correct them on their information.

Kind Reagrds

Hi Jason,

I don't think you have enough posts yet for me to pm you.

I will do so as soon as I can.

THey told me that it was illegal to do a decat on a diesel on a car registered after aug 2001, and that they would be fined if they were caught! :rolleyes:

Longlife Jason

Hi

Just to be clear, as I think my last post was misleading - there is no requirement in the MOT for a CAT to be present on a diesel car. As to what would happen if the Police stop you i'm not 100% certain of.

I'll try and find out some information regarding the actual law and get back to you.

Regards

Jason

Longlife Jason

I was told by my insurance company that if I decatted my TDi they would not insure it.

Did they give a reason for this? For sure, some insurance companies shy away from any modifications of any kind as I guess, rightly or wrongly, they think that people who do modifications are more of an insurance risk.

trebormint

Sep 17, 2008
Swindon
Hi

Just to be clear, as I think my last post was misleading - there is no requirement in the MOT for a CAT to be present on a diesel car. As to what would happen if the Police stop you i'm not 100% certain of.

I'll try and find out some information regarding the actual law and get back to you.

Regards

Jason

Hi Jason,

Any updates?

Will your fitting centres do a decat on TDi's? Any discount given to SCN members?

Longlife Jason

Hi. I've asked our MOT tester and he's confirmed that as long as the car passes the MOT test there is no requirement for the cat to be fitted for the MOT. I've not been able to get anyone to commit to saying that it's OK in law although I can say that we've not come across any problems with this in the past.

Provided it's possible, our centres should have no problem in de-catting your diesel - any problems with this then please feel free to contact me direct so I can talk to the centre involved.

I'm happy to offer a discount on Cat back or Downpipe back systems when you book through our Head Office on 0844 800 2960. On just a de-cat pipe, there is a lot less 'meat on the bone' so to speak to be able to offer discounts. That said, if you want to ring me direct on 01308 422282 i'm sure I can come up with something for you.

Regards

Jason Freeman
Longlife Stainless Steel Exhausts

Longlife Jason

I have seen the email - just working on some things for a meeting and i'll get back to you today. I've also left a message for the depot you mentioned to discuss de-catting diesels as well.

Kind Regards

Jason Freeman

ibizacuprafaded

Longlife is offered to supposedly the better powerful dealers as a way of tryin to promote a better brand name, its all the same stuff supplied whether you buy a powerful system or longlife, just depends on the fitter and how good he his!!!!!!!

Longlife Jason

Longlife is offered to supposedly the better powerful dealers as a way of tryin to promote a better brand name, its all the same stuff supplied whether you buy a powerful system or longlife, just depends on the fitter and how good he his!!!!!!!

Hi. There are some elements of your post that are correct but also some incorrect so if it's OK i'd like to address some of the misconception here.

Longlife has in the past taken a very select few of ex-Powerflow franchisees into the group although this is certainly not the norm. It's also true that the quality of the fitter is a large part of the end result, however, we do ensure that all fitters that represent Longlife have the very best training possible. If we hear any negative feedback about jobs done by one of our franchisees we take it seriously and look at each case individually. If there is constant negative feedback from a particular depot we ould drop them from the program. This happened last year with a franchise in Battersea who was removed from our program for constant poor work amongst other issues.

As probably the largest wholeseller of tailpipes in the UK, some of the tailpipes offered by us also get sold to other brands. An ongoing project though will be to start branding all of our tailpipes as Longlife so you can see the name at the rear of the car.

What is certainly not the same are our silencers. Powerflow import their silencers from South Africa and use a combination of 304 Grade and 416 Grade Stainless steel. 304 Grade is a better grade of stainless for this type of job and consequently all of the metal components in our silencers are 304 Grade Stainless. They're certainly not the same as Powerflow's silencers.

To be fair to our main competitor - there are some very good Powerflow depots out there and also some not so good ones. What I have seen though on the internet is a fair bit of negativity regarding the quality of the product they provide - something i've not seen about Longlife. For people to think that we both use the same product is something i'm very keen to correct as we do pride ourselves on bring that little bit better.

Regards

Jason Freeman

ibizacuprafaded

Powerfull and Longlife both buy there products from Top Gear located in Bridport so unless they dispatch different quality products depending on the outlet i very much doubt this!

It all comes down to ther fitter, custom exhaust fabriction is an art form, not as easy as people think.

Longlife Jason

Powerfull and Longlife both buy there products from Top Gear located in Bridport so unless they dispatch different quality products depending on the outlet i very much doubt this!

It all comes down to ther fitter, custom exhaust fabriction is an art form, not as easy as people think.

Again, sorry but you've got some but not all of the information. I am based at Topgear i Bridport and I run the Longlife franchise so I do feel i'm best placed to give the correct information. Yes, we sell both to Powerflow and obviously Longlife because Topgear own the Longlife brand. SOME of Powerflow's tailpipes are supplied by us but that is the ONLY part of the product that you may see on both brands that come from Topgear. Longlife make their own silencers, Powerflow make their own (abroad).

You are right thought that it's not easy custom fitting an exhaust. :)

Regards

Jason Freeman

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.