Looking for an exeo saloon

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all,

I joined here a while back when I had a mk1 LCR. Since then I've had quite a far different cars. Currently I'm driving an Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTD. I'm now after a decent comfy saloon auto, I drive 80+ miles a day and hatchbacks aren't for me anymore. I've ogled 159's for a few weeks now, they are beautiful cars and I'm still open to getting one if the right one pops up. I'd buy a 159 with my heart but not with my head. The exeo seems like the blander, but smarter choice.

The exeo's look like a bargain second hand, really good spec cars but much cheaper then audi and bmw. They look very comfortable as well, and I like to be different (haven't seen one on the roads for weeks). My budget is around 10k but I will probably get a bit for my alfa as PX. So I guess anything up to 11k is sensible.

Is there anything I should look out for? I'm after an automatic diesel, preferably the 170, although the 170's I've seen don't have the sat nav which for me is more important than 20bhp. I'll probably get it remapped anyway.

How many miles have you got out of your exeos? What is considered high mileage for these cars? I don't really want to buy any higher than 50k miles. Are the auto gearboxes nice to drive or frustrating? I hate driving a manual in traffic, but if the auto is poor I will choose manual.

Grateful for any help or pointers, cheers.

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
Hi,

Well if I were looking again, I'd be looking for a post 2010 143.

With your budget you'll easily find a nice clean reasonably low mileage example.

These map very well, allegedly!! :p

julianat57

Jun 19, 2010
Stafford
Hi all,

I joined here a while back when I had a mk1 LCR. Since then I've had quite a far different cars. Currently I'm driving an Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTD. I'm now after a decent comfy saloon auto, I drive 80+ miles a day and hatchbacks aren't for me anymore. I've ogled 159's for a few weeks now, they are beautiful cars and I'm still open to getting one if the right one pops up. I'd buy a 159 with my heart but not with my head. The exeo seems like the blander, but smarter choice.

The exeo's look like a bargain second hand, really good spec cars but much cheaper then audi and bmw. They look very comfortable as well, and I like to be different (haven't seen one on the roads for weeks). My budget is around 10k but I will probably get a bit for my alfa as PX. So I guess anything up to 11k is sensible.

Is there anything I should look out for? I'm after an automatic diesel, preferably the 170, although the 170's I've seen don't have the sat nav which for me is more important than 20bhp. I'll probably get it remapped anyway.

How many miles have you got out of your exeos? What is considered high mileage for these cars? I don't really want to buy any higher than 50k miles. Are the auto gearboxes nice to drive or frustrating? I hate driving a manual in traffic, but if the auto is poor I will choose manual.

Grateful for any help or pointers, cheers.

Hi, I am pretty sure the auto option is only available in 143 bhp and is Audi Multitronic, again not sure if this box is fitted to any other Seat, so dealer experience might be limited. Lots of stories on the Audi forum and I personally avoided it & bought the manual after owning an A4 with Tiptronic which was great. Not owned an Alfa, 159 looks beautiful but also read the Alfa stories. Lots of high mileage cars can be seen for sale and been some high milers on here with no bad experiences. Very impressed with my 143 ST as I think are most people on this forum and as you say a bargain price to get a very good car... Julian

Jan 24, 2011
Cheers guys. I really really want an auto, so much easier, but if the dealer experience is limited perhaps it'll be a manual. I guess I'm open to both really.

I've just weighed up the 159 against the exeo on honest john, and although my 2 alfas so far have been absolutely good as gold (about 60k miles between then), this car HAS to be a long term runner, so I think the exeo is the right choice. I don't think they look that bad either, the metallic grey ones are more attractive than a 3 series still IMO. I haven't bought a car with my brain since the volvo s60 I had, and that was the best car I've owned!

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but how does this look? Best colour IMO and nice low mileage.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...00/annual-tax-cars/up_to_200/page/1?logcode=p

Or there's an auto, but in silver which I'm not keen on.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...80/annual-tax-cars/up_to_200/page/1?logcode=p

Jan 24, 2011
Both nice cars, that grey is lovely btw.

Mine's Urano Grey, which is very slightly blue, and I love it :)

I've found a 170 with 60k on the clock, in the same grey. Hard choice :(

Any other comments about yours? All I'm hearing is good things to be honest!

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
I am very very happy with mine. It goes like a train, is very comfortable, delivers decent fuel economy, more when I can keep my lead foot out ;-)

I have one worry, which may turn out to be nothing at all, (see my first post), and if it does turn out to be nothing, I'll be all set for the next 60-70k miles of happy motoring.

Jan 24, 2011
I am very very happy with mine. It goes like a train, is very comfortable, delivers decent fuel economy, more when I can keep my lead foot out ;-)

I have one worry, which may turn out to be nothing at all, (see my first post), and if it does turn out to be nothing, I'll be all set for the next 60-70k miles of happy motoring.

Just read the post, sounds like you got a good buy! Is yours a 170? Fingers crossed it's nothing to worry about.

Also - am I limiting myself by only looking on auto trader? I need a trade car not private, so I can chop in my GT.

Last edited:

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
Mine's a 143, and it is stunning, lowered onto 18" dark blue five spokes, privacy glass, etc. I feel like licking it every morning when I come out to drive it to work :)

I'm hoping that it is nothing, as I've have over 75 views on that posting and up to now not a single reply.

There must be other owners in here that have a similarly aged Exeo's with far higher mileages than mine, and if no problems are being reported, well then happy days eh!

Jan 24, 2011
I'm hoping that it is nothing, as I've have over 75 views on that posting and up to now not a single reply.

It happens, don't worry about it. You'll get one soon.

Sounds like I'd be mad not to buy one then. The 170 also has xenons, so I'm pretty torn on which to choose. Although my brain says go for the 30k miles not the 60k.

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
I'd always go for the lower mileage example to be honest, but that's just me.

I did read that a mapped 143 is a better option for mapping than a 170, as the turbo is slightly smaller and therefore you get less turbo lag when your lead foot drops on the loud pedal ;-)

Jan 24, 2011
I'd always go for the lower mileage example to be honest, but that's just me.

I did read that a mapped 143 is a better option for mapping than a 170, as the turbo is slightly smaller and therefore you get less turbo lag when your lead foot drops on the loud pedal ;-)

Same thinking as me. I think I'll stick with the 30k example. Still trying to find somewhere to map the thing...

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
Good luck on your search. I spent a good few weeks, predominantly on Autotrader, and a few really nice examples slipped through my fingers at the last minute.

However I am a great believer in fate, and I think I got the car that was destined for me in the end :)

You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding somewhere to get it mapped, dependent on your geographical location.

I'd caution doing a little research, as they are not all one as good as the other!!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Good luck on your search. I spent a good few weeks, predominantly on Autotrader, and a few really nice examples slipped through my fingers at the last minute.

However I am a great believer in fate, and I think I got the car that was destined for me in the end :)

You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding somewhere to get it mapped, dependent on your geographical location.

I'd caution doing a little research, as they are not all one as good as the other!!

Yeah I won't be rushing to map it, I won't use anywhere that has no reviews or is curiously cheap either :D I got AMD to map my old LCR and that was an incredible difference, but AMD don't do exeo maps :(

I'm calling about the grey one now, so fingers crossed.

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
A lovely motor, and a good price for an SE Tech in my opinion. I'd still try to knock them down a few hundred though ;-)

Fingers crossed for you!

Jan 24, 2011
A lovely motor, and a good price for an SE Tech in my opinion. I'd still try to knock them down a few hundred though ;-)

Fingers crossed for you!

GT worth 1800-2000 apparently, which was more than I thought to be honest. I can't go there until saturday but he's gonna call if anyone wants it first. Cheers :D

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
Well I don't think you can nowadays, as it is an MOT fail.

Having said that, on the Exeo it is a close coupled DPF, so as long as you don't do stop start journeys every day, and include the odd 15-20 minute blast of fast roads at over 2.1k revs once a week or so, you'll not have a problem.

Reactions: tom0311