Loss of coolant

Neilzomg

Sep 28, 2017
Had this problem for about a year haven't really thought much of it. Usually have to top the coolant up every two weeks, thats usually the time it takes to go from max to the min line on the water bottle.

it's a MK2 2.0tdi sports reference 2007 140bhp model

Had the timing belt water pump etc done a few thousand miles ago and also new turbo.

there's no sign of a head gasket leak, engine oil fill cap is clean and dipstick is clean, no overheating at all. had the glow plugs changed about 1k miles ago or so and there was no signs of any contaminated oil or anything with the cover off either.

Cars going in next month to get a gearbox oil change, think it could just be a bad hose leaking under pressure when the engine heats up possibly? would it be worth while getting checked out while its getting changed just incase its a leak or is there any common problems to do with this sort of issue?

much appreciated Neil.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Coolant shouldn't really need topping up. I'd always get a coolant leak checked out. Would be worth getting it pressure tested. Also if you can get under the car. Have a look around the oil sump. If eg the waterpump hasn't been sealed properly, it usually drips out of the timing belt cover.

Neilzomg

Sep 28, 2017
I'll have it checked out, there was a waterpump leak before i had the timing belt etc done but the coolant loss was far greater then was topping it up every few days. waterpump etc was done by a mechanic who worked for Seat and is also family so i'm confident he did the job correctly

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
waterpump etc was done by a mechanic who worked for Seat and is also family so i'm confident he did the job correctly

I don't doubt that he did. But Seat make the waterpump's from milk chocolate. I've had to have a brand new OEM one replaced under warranty before.

Neilzomg

Sep 28, 2017
Hope it's just some form of a hose leak, just out of curiosity the three metal pipes than run across the engine three thin silver pipes, do they carry coolant as well? had then replaced a while ago because of a leak think the one that connects to the tandem pump was leaking we just replaced all three. could be a leaky hose if one of them carries coolant

stuflo

Jun 10, 2012
Check the water bottle, i had to change mine as one of the pipe clips had chaffed through the bottle.

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
pressure test is the only way to tell if it has one of the bad heads A/B revisions i think they where.
once the car is up to temp get some one to rev it a little and have a look at the pipes that go to the bulk head then all the other pipes.
Get your hands right in about the pipes going to the bulk head to see if any leaks

Sam_FR

Dec 15, 2018
Mine empties its coolant in about 3 days of driving (20 - 30 miles a day), its not burning it or mixing with the engine oil, and when parked overnight, theres a fresh puddle under the right hand side of the engine bay. It looks as if its coming from below the throttle body at the rear of the engine, but due to the weather and work commitments, ive not been able to investigate. Only had the car about 6 weeks, any common leaks from that area?

Smoore

Jan 15, 2017
Mine empties its coolant in about 3 days of driving (20 - 30 miles a day), its not burning it or mixing with the engine oil, and when parked overnight, theres a fresh puddle under the right hand side of the engine bay. It looks as if its coming from below the throttle body at the rear of the engine, but due to the weather and work commitments, ive not been able to investigate. Only had the car about 6 weeks, any common leaks from that area?

This sounds exactly like what mines is doing right now. With the car running look at the back right side of the engine bay. There's two smaller pipes go into the engine bay for the heater. It's probably a seal in one of them away. It'll be a small but quite regular drip.

Sam_FR

Dec 15, 2018
This sounds exactly like what mines is doing right now. With the car running look at the back right side of the engine bay. There's two smaller pipes go into the engine bay for the heater. It's probably a seal in one of them away. It'll be a small but quite regular drip.

Mine went in for some new tyres, and the fitter said he noticed it up on the ramps and it looks as if its coming from the EGR valve area

Smoore

Jan 15, 2017
Mines was the seals(O rings I assume) on the pipes going into the heater from the engine bay. From memory that would be near the area the egr valve is.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.