Lost horses.... If found please return.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Hi

I have a 2007 2.0 170 FR that must be missing it's horses. I think the gate must have been left open or something, as anything under about 80mph leaves me behind and I'm talking 1.2 corsas etc so nothing exciting.
I have done the Mr muscle clean, changed the n75 valve, changed the boost pressure sensor and repaired the connections to the electronic actuator.
I have moments of power where I'm quite impressed but only about 10% of the time but no power 90% of the time.
I'm on the edge of replacing the turbo but holding back because of the 10% of time I have power saying the turbo works. I've checked the pipes and can't see anything obvious.

Any help or ideas

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
The vane actuator is vacuum operated. The electronic component of it is a position sensor. (Same goes for the CR engine.)

It can be tested with a hand vacuum pump / tester or if you have diagnostic equipment such as VCDS then there's a test procedure that can be run that will attempt to fully extend / retract the actuator with the engine at idle.

I believe the actuator on the Garret turbo on the PD engine works the opposite way from the Borg Warner actuator on the CR engine. The Borg Warner one extends the piston when vacuum is applied and I believe the Garret one retracts the piston under vacuum.

To be honest I've never been a fan of the replace and hope approach of solving problems. You usually end up replacing a lot of stuff that's not needed and you could have put that money into some test & diagnostic tools instead. A hand vacuum tester is a great tool to have for these engines with all the vacuum actuated stuff they have.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Ok so I have pumped it up to 2 bar but the actuator arm didn't move? Although was holding the pressure?

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Nope misread it and missed the vacuum bit (lol). Luckily no harm done, I'll lay my hands on a vacuum pump from somewhere and report back.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
On a side note. I have unplugged the air sensor and the car yes is still sluggish but I'm sure it's boosting. Definitely an improvement when unplugged. Strange though as I'm plugged in and no codes or errors saying it's unplugged?

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Driven for 32 miles this morning without the maf plugged in and about 25 miles of a driveable car which was nice. Had a lack of boost mid journey but seemed to clear again.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Ordered the new maf. On the way home it was better but stopped boosting in higher gears so feel that identifying a problem with the maf was good but don't think it's going to be the entire problem

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
What I might try is the Mr muscle again but using the vacuum pump to hold the actuator open what do you think?

shontzy

Mar 14, 2018
I had a similar issue with my Cupra. I thought it was MAF related at first and unplugging helped and replacing did nothing. After looking for a vacuum leak and a variety of other places for my inconsistent power, I got a code that pointed me to the MAP sensor. I pulled it out and cleaned it and it has been great since then. Its a free check so I suggest doing a cleaning.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Looking online and need some clarity. I have a new map sensor and have used it to replace the sensor on the pipe on the front left side of the engine. However I keep reading about a map sensor on the inlet manifold. Is there 2?

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Ok found today that the air pipe connecting straight to the bottom of the turbo wasn't fully connected and the green rubber seal has broken up and come off. After reconnecting found still flat spots but some fast boost. So in the right direction I hope.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Maybe there are further loose or damaged hoses??

Did you give it a second round on the Mr Muscle already?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.