Low Coolant

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
Whilst topping up the water fluid I noticed that the coolant was a tiny bit below the low mark.

Going to take it to Seat this week (assuming they fit me in) but just wondering if anyone else has experienced coolant loss?

Is this something which I can expect to be covered under warranty? Even if there is no leak and just needs topping up? Or are the dealership likely to charge?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Seems to be a common thread appearing with some Mk3's, must be the way they are filling them at the factory. :confused:

From others experiences just appears to either be under filled or an air-lock that cleared itself at the cost of the fluid level.

Top up and all should be fine, dealer can do it and should do it for free in my eyes especially if its still under a year old.

But if its time and effort to get to the dealer, bob into a Euro Car Parts and get some top up G13 Ready Mixed. Don't use anything but G13 VW Spec. (VW G-13/TL 774) Its purple in colour.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/red-antifreeze/searchkeyword/G13 coolant

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Just ordered a litre through Marks link, it'll do no harm to have some to hand.

Out of curiosity, why marque specific antifreeze these days? :confused:

Went into an auto shop the other week to buy it for the old fella next door and the guy asked me what car it was for. Antifreeze was antifreeze when I worked as a mechanic I dont ever recollect there being anything model specific, it was more generic.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Its a particular grade they have chosen to use, the reason you have to stick to it, is because you can't mix different grades of coolant with others. They lose their properties, and potentially may not protect the engine as it is designed to do.

Cooling systems in car engines are a bit more hi-tech these days, and use lots of differing parts and materials. It could be that the grade of anti-freeze they use is kinder to some of the materials used within such as plastic water pump parts.

Reactions: Andy

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Aint they just, suppose it makes sense looking at the cars of today compared to the likes of the Ford Anglia and the Popular, chalk and cheese.

Cheers ;)

Pgcreature

Oct 7, 2013
Surrey
Coolant loss Leon FR 184

Yep..I noticed mine was down half way between max and min...don't know if that's the way it arrived or if I have lost coolant over the 3000k miles ....have topped up with recommended, and now keeping a careful eye on it. But at least I have the distraction of squeaks and creeks from around the dashboard steering wheel area...just too much plastic !!!

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
If it is just a bit below the mark then why not buy some coolant and top it up yourself...

Because the car is 5 months old and shouldn't have lost any coolant ideally. I was booking into the dealer for them to look at the creaky dash anyway, but wasn't too bothered unless I had something else for them to look at at the same time.

At the end of the day, the car is 5 months old, it's under warranty, I'd rather have the peace of mind that a qualified technician is making sure there are no leaks and making sure I have the right mix of coolant in there.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Personally I would not recommend doing that, its a ready mixed formula so your only diluting it further, albeit a small amount by adding water.

Though probably a very small risk, your risking it not being as effective as an anti-freeze agent by adding more water to the dilution.

In my opinion its far better to top up with the correct ready mixed solution, or asking the dealer to do it for you.

For the sake of a few quid for a bottle of top up.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
If it's just below the min mark, would a drop of water do the trick? I doubt it would be much more diluted if its just a little?

That is what they said when I called up to book it in. So will just top it up with a bit of water for the time being until they can check it on the 27th.

gaffer1986

Personally I would not recommend doing that, its a ready mixed formula so your only diluting it further, albeit a small amount by adding water.

Though probably a very small risk, your risking it not being as effective as an anti-freeze agent by adding more water to the dilution.

In my opinion its far better to top up with the correct ready mixed solution, or asking the dealer to do it for you.

For the sake of a few quid for a bottle of top up.

I didn't know the stuff you bought was ready mix, I thought it was concentrate to be diluted. However, I would imagine most dealers would wait until you left, pop the bonnet open and put a drop of volvic or whatever they're drinking (Tea) :D to keep the customer happy with only 2 mins work.

Or am I cynical?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Depends who the dealer is I guess, as to how cynical you want to be. I couldn't comment. :)

Some are concentrated, but most top up's you can get are now pre-mixed.

I think as a short-term fix if your going to a dealer, then topping up with a bit of water is probably ok, but me personally I'd be happier topping up with the proper stuff.

They can usually test the effectiveness of your coolant anyway, using an anti-freeze tester of water in the header tank.

Last edited:

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
That was my antifreeze from Eurocarparts delivered 6pm last night, box was pristine yet the bottle and the contents were anything but. The shittiest looking bottle ever, leaking fluid, bottle distorted and covered in heavy black stains akin to tyre marks, god knows what had happened to it, the lunchtime makeshift football methinks lol.

The sad bit is somebody knew the state of it when they sealed it in the polly bag pre-boxing tut, tut. Ah well I've had loads from them and everything has been fine, my first complaint we'll see how that goes :rolleyes: it may be a small monetary sum but ffs you expect as a minimum the bottle not to be leaking, I know I'm so fussy :D

Where's the profit in these things when your posting out via the likes of UPS, full tracking etc. and its sub 2 quid :confused:

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Day 1 got an email in the afternoon asking for photos, photos sent. Day 2 no reply by the afternoon so I did a resend, later on I got a reply saying they'd no idea how it got packed in that state and that a replacement would be sent. That'll do for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Speaking from experience with the exact same (albeit mine was quite a dramatic drop) problem it will most likely be an air bubble trapped somewhere in the system that has all of a sudden made its way out.

Seat will do a pressure test for you free of charge and do a software update while your car is with them (Just an update on the bluetooth software).

If i were you (with the benefit of hindsight) I would top op the coolant and just keep an eye on it rather than having to try and put up with the unbelievably depressing experience of driving round in a dirty, battered Seat Mii for a day (And paying £12 for the luxury to do so too!).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.