Low Cost MP3 Adapter?

luemas

Hey, I've been searching round for the best way to connect any mp3 player to my Alana head unit in my mk4 Ibiza. I was hoping that i was looking round trying to find a solution using my unoccupied CD changer connection and so found this connector on ebay. Will this do the trick along with a RCA to 3.5mm cable?? i no this topics come up many time but all the answers ive found seem to lead to the connects2 package which is just as expenisive as an Ipod Adpater. Thanks in Advance, Sam :)

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
I tried this on my Girlfriends Fabia vRS, it doesn't work.

The headunit somehow realises that it isn't powering a cd changer and will not change to cd changer mode. This was on a 05 model with the standard symphony radio.

That is expensive though, I used this lead which already has a headphone socket:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/bla...7.html?cadid=66ebc1687767d3f48a7fc9175539cf0e

In the end I fitted a dension iPod kit. Excuse the poor quality photos:
Image330.jpg

Image336.jpg

Last edited:

luemas

Thanks for the advice peter, Did the cable you bought from car audio direct work?? i also noticed there was a Blaupunkt Aux Input 2 cable avalible, will either work or will only one work (my guess is that i need Blaupunkt Aux Input 1 since i dont have a CD changer, but thats just a guess :S)

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
The cable I bought worked fine with the Blaupunkt head unit I had fitted in my own car at the time.

The VAG headunits need to be tricked into thinking they are powering up a CD changer at the same time otherwise it won't work. This I do not know how to do but some sparkies on here might.

So the cable will not work on your car as far as I know.

The Blaupunkt 2 lead is just for the top of the range Blaupunkt headunits which have more than 1 aux input.

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
At the risk of resurrecting such an old thread, I fitted a Connects2 USB interface (CTAVCUSB003) to our Mk4 FR TDI with the Alana MP3 head unit this weekend. I was supposed to use it in our Lupo, but tried it in the Ibiza and it's stopping in. At £90 I might get another anyway.

It works fine once you've got to grips with the filing restrictions. Essentially, you can only have six folders (CD01 to CD06) with up to 99 tracks in each folder. Obviously, this presents problems if all your MP3 tracks are filed 01 title, 02 title, etc within a folder for each album as you'll end up with all the track 01s together! A new filing system will need to be created me thinks. The display does not show ID3 info either, just the CD and track numbers.

There is an SD flash card adaptor supplied if you have any spare cards (I tried a 256MB), but I've just ordered a 4GB USB pen drive for it. I tried a Pacific stick MP3 player but it won't have it. Additionally, there is a 3.5mm line in, removal keys, USB and line in extentions.

If I remember, I'll post pics tomorrow. I fitted it in the cubby hole under the head unit to save drilling in the glove box.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members