Low level Trolley Jack. Best?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi all,
Need a low level trolley jack for the LCR.
Seen a few, some don't have a long reach before the frame of the jack hits the sills.
I've found this but really not keen on paying over a ton.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ctj2qlp-2-tonne-quick-lift-low-profile/

Then there is this sexy looking offering! Long enough reach for our cars?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ctj1250ab-1-25-tonne-aluminium-racing-j/

What do you guys use and can you reach safe jacking points.
In addition. Once car is up, where should one place the axle stands for Best and safest positioning?
Thanks.

Last edited:

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I got this one a couple of years back and works well and the rachet stands are good.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks/tjl2jsr-low-entry-trolley-jack-axle-stands

For just over £40 I can't complain too much, has a long enough reach and the 360 handle is great. However it is heavy and the handle indent for the valve release needs being a tad tighter.

I always use a wood black with a cutout to accept the sill lip and always jack at the marked reinforced points. Don't think they are different between the Tdi and the LCR?

As for the stands I place them at the front on the reinforced square tube section that runs either side to the back. At the rear I use a couple of places depending on the job, one such is just to the front of the axle bush and positioning the stands meeting plate so that any load is placed on the flat and central. Just look and tap to make sure it is solid, not hollow.

If needing to go higher than just raising to get a wheel off go each side an inch at a time, raising the jack height incrementally. going too high places extra strain and pressure on the opposite stand and can push the jack out. I always place a spare tyre somewhere near the working area - that could be a lifesaver!

I am tempted by the "race" versions with much lighter weight and rapid lift!

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Last edited:

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
... silly cheap now at £23.86!
http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks/tjl2-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack

With this said only last week I had an issue with it dropping slowly so I'm hoping to get it sorted with the 2 year warranty.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Damn that is cheap!

I think I may the same issue, didn't really notice before as usually put stands under but had to change wheels at weekend and did think it strange why I had to raise it slightly to get the wheel back on. Thought the new one had higher pressure in.

Need to find when I bought it.

But wouldn't put me off buying another at that price!

Edit:

Just found my receipt and I did pay that silly price back in Aug 2015 so still in warranty YAY!

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I made wooden riser blocks to drive on first. aka pretty much exactly what mighty car mods made. Just drive onto them then jack away.

I have blocks for my cupra, as lowered but driving about with a block of wood in the back is untidy.
That said it's good to have when unexpected trips to garages arise. If I ask if they have blocks, They always say it's fine and then smack the sill while I'm standing there saying it needs a block!!WTF.
So I have one just in case now.
Also don't think the crappy jack in the car fits under any more without the block too.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
I always use the trolley jack to jack up the rear on the subframe
Then use axel stands and get the trolley jack on the front.

Other than that buy some 3x2 and drive on that first

:)

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I always use the trolley jack to jack up the rear on the subframe
Then use axel stands and get the trolley jack on the front.

Other than that buy some 3x2 and drive on that first

:)

Yup have 3x2 inLC boot.
Ordered the sgs as above. Ridiculously cheap.
Best pace to prop front up on axle stands.
Everyone seems to do it on different parts?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.