Lower dash removal to replace clutch master cylinder

Jan 16, 2019
Hi guys,

My clutch pedal has recently started sticking and a few days ago the release spring flew out of its housing so I have bought a new pedal and clutch master cylinder , exactly the same thing happened on my mk5 golf a few months ago, my problem is the dash is different and I'm having difficulty removing the lower dash so I can get to the top bolt on the cylinder to get it off anyone give me any pointers sorry if this has already been brought up before but I'm hoping to get it done tonight!!

Jan 16, 2019
Message regarding my question, I have managed to get the top bolt without taking out the dash, I used ..... a bike torch, a long screwdriver, 2 x small socket extensions and a long 14mm socket!!! , firstly I got a long screwdriver and the flat head was just a slightly loose fit into the socket extension so I wedged it in with a small piece of metal, I then added the second socket extension and the long 14mm socket , I then jammed my bike torch in the gap between the steering wheel column and the lower dash trim and pointed it at the top bolt, I then pushed my creation towards the bolt but literally only had enough room to use my fingers on the screwdriver grip which was not good enough so I used some mole grips to turn the screwdriver , very fiddly but it worked a treat and saved me the nightmare of dismantling the dashboard, of course some of you will have super long socket extensions etc but I was desperate to get the bolt off tonight so I had to make do with what I had! So with the correct tools same principle applies through the gap in between the steering column and the lower dash and you will be able to get the bolt off , and easier than I did!! , hope this helps guys

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.