Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Lowering springs vs ride comfort?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk2 (2006-2012)' started by lajohnz, Jul 4, 2015.

1. lajohnz

Right lads,

iv read quite a few threads claiming lowering springs make the ride less harsh,Mrs Johns has been complaining about the ride mainly when's she's in the back with our baby girl. Now I did expect this coming from a Passat cc with DCC.

My question is will lowering springs change the ride quality for the better?will Mrs Johns and baby girl be happier?

And if so what kit is it you have fitted?

The standard ride is pretty harsh on anything less than smooth Tarmac,which there isn't a lot of these days. I know it's a hot hatch and I bought it for that reason ,but anything to keep the wife happy ( and in no way is this just an excuse to a more aggressive stance[B)])

Johnsy

2. G4reth

G4reth FR PD170

I'm in the same boat as you. The ride is so bad for the wife and my month old son. I bought H&R's for the FR. Haven't fitted them yet, but hoping they'll be better.

3. lajohnz

Ooooo guinea pig! Lol let me know if there's much difference and what your missus thinks

Am I right in saying that the FR is actually a harder ride than the cupra,esp the facelift model

#3 lajohnz, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  4. CharlySkunkweed

CharlySkunkweed Active Member

My FR TDI Facelift has been fitted with Eibach Sportlines for the last few weeks and if it is any harsher then it's very slight. I'm happy with it , doesn't feel clunky like previous cars I've lowered.

5. Muttley

Muttley Catch that diesel!

It's not a hot hatch, it's an exotic hatchback-derived sports car. It is already lowered compared to the standard car, and to the sports variant suspension. Lowering it further will *not* help.

6. mike0105

Exotic hatchback-derived sports car eh? I think I have heard it all now haha.

7. richicupra

richicupra Active Member

H&R springs give a noticeably firmer ride and don't improve comfort levels, but to me they handle bumpy roads better than the standard springs.

"Exotic hatchback-derived sports car", that's a good one lol

8. chr1sd

chr1sd Active Member

I have H&R springs on my cupra and the ride is definately not as harsh as the standard springs. Gary on here (never2old) has just drove my car the other day and he as an FR. He said mine didnt feel as harsh as his and thought it was less 'choppy'.

9. mike0105

Just out of curiosity, are the facelift FR springs retrofit able to the pre facelift model? I'm sure that they were the reason the facelifted model rode so much better.

10. Matt cla

Matt cla Active Member

I've found that my Eibach Sportlines make the car much better. I fitted mine to reduce the arch gap and obviously to make it look lower- which it has- but without doubt the best part of it has been the improved ride quality. Oem springs were soft and wobbly, especially when going over a speed bump. Sportlines just give you a quick shake then levels up.

11. lajohnz

aye aye, another local lad.any chance of a blast like? Proof is in the pudding as they say

12. GavFR

GavFR Active Member

Have to agree with chr1sd, I fitted H&R springs to my diesel FR recently and they are more comfortable than the standard springs! Would highly recommend them.

13. Damian @ DPM

Damian @ DPM DPM Performance
    Forum Sponsor

The Eibach Pro springs are always a good choice and put them with a matched set of dampers and the ride will drastically change.

The standard SEAT sport range of suspension seems to be overly stiff to try and give the impression you're getting a sport ride but it just hasn't worked.

Damian @ DPM Performance

14. mike0105

Does that extend to the facelift models then? Aren't they supposedly much better than prefacelift for comfort?

15. Damian @ DPM

Damian @ DPM DPM Performance
    Forum Sponsor

It is an improvement but to me it's still far from a refined ride.

Damian @ DPM Performance

16. Never2old

Never2old Active Member

Yeah i took chris,s car out to see for myself and it is a much better ride over all ,could,nt go wrong with H&R springs

17. rllmuk

rllmuk Active Member

Sportlines on standard dampers are an improvement. Something like the Bilstein B12 kit is a great option if you want to change dampers too - depends how tired/old they are. Coilovers are overkill if you're not going to track it, better to spend the cash on a decent spring/damper set up than a cheap coilover kit - in my opinion!

Whatever you do, it'll be better :)

18. lajohnz

We are Going for a hoon the mora night:)

19. lajohnz

I'm trying to find a happy medium, probably 2-3 track days a year tops and our daily drive.I'm already putting parts together to improve on braking and reduce unsung weight.

If the springs make enough of a difference I'm on board, but I'm not getting carried away coil overs etc

20. Never2old

Never2old Active Member

Just strap yourself in good the car is a bit of a beast :drive1: