Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

LPG remapping

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by Pimped up vario, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Pimped up vario

Pimped up vario Cordy Cruizer

Hi Bill

I have LPG fitted to my front wheel drive Audi a6 1.8t awt engine code. I read that lpg has an octane rating of 102-108, I concluded that this is comparable to the RON rating of petrol. Probably a silly question given your experience but are you able to remap to take advantage of the lpg octane ratings and make the engine generate more power? The car does feel a bit slower when on the gas compared to petrol. The lpg ecu shadows the petrol ecu which is remapped by a guy in Ballymena, who I would prefer not to use again. The lpg kicks in after 0.3-0.5 of a mile so it wouldn't have to run on alternate settings for the petrol side of things for very long.

Many thanks, Samuel.

#1 Pimped up vario, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

zero experience of lpg I'm afraid

3. Pimped up vario

My Audi is in bits at the moment awaiting a host of parts, cam chain tensioner being one of them, £1000-£1100 of parts sitting in the house. So my thinking is to get a C5 1.8t a6 Quattro shell while she's in bits and swap all my good bits in to it and upgrade the turbo and go large port head, the mate has one sitting for me, and so on and then get you to map it to the max. I'll be fitting EGT gauge to keep an eye on things. The lpg system piggy backs the petrol ecu probably in terms of MAF and MAP and timing then cuts out the petrol fuel system and utilises the gas and the gas nozzles instead, injecting according to the information it receives. I'll get the car put together for starters and liaise with the lpg stallers to get some feed back on remapping as it will need a new vaporiser and bigger gas nozzles anyway. Then I'll give you a shout because of the good feedback that you receive on this forum and the fact that your remaps very much seem to be car specific/custom, I would still like you to do the honours. Thanks again, Samuel.

4. Pimped up vario

Sorry Bill but it's not practical at the moment to come to your premises to get my car remapped. I'm putting a k04-023 turbo on my mapped AWT engined audi whiched was mapped for a k03 turbo. I asked the mappers advise about mapping it for the gas and he said that you tweak the maps do the power runs ask for more advance etc using the lpg fuel and drive it very easy when the car is using petrol. Lpg has a RON of 108 so I take it more advance can be asked for. But that's the crack map the ecu and run on gas.

5. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

thought this was a dead post... been a while lol

6. Pimped up vario

I just got the k04-023 turbo on thurs. Has about 0.3 mm of endfloat so it'll need a bearing kit. Was attempting a power steering hard pipe/low pressure side repair, on my cordoba, today but I need a proper pipe made up or a new oem one. Too many pies for my eight fingers, two thumbs and ten toes but you'd know how that feels all too well. The tuner over here has a golf R that makes an extra 40 bhp on 98 ron petrol over 95 ron, 340 - 380 bhp. Imagine what 108 ron would be capable of obviously engine strength and air flow, fueling permitting. Anyway I'll get there in the end but still wished I lived a bit closer. You now know a bit more on remapping a lpg fuelled car anyhow lol. Stupid taptalk doesn't allow stickies.

#6 Pimped up vario, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015