Lumbar support

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
Morning all. Just done a short trip in my 2010 leon fr and the drivers seat made an unusual click/clunk noise with a sudden movement at the base of the back rest and the lumbar support no longer works. The adjustment dial just spins both ways to where max/min would be. Would anybody know if it's an easy fix or if it's now ruined? Thanks in advance, Dave (Fipsy).

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
Sorry to necro the post. Did you fix it? Happend to me yesterday. I really liked how lumbar works, now it just spins.

Robbo86

Jul 19, 2019
UK
When this happened to me, it was the cable had slipped out of its plastic clip. It is possible to inspect and fix without removing the seat but easier if you do remove the seat. On the rear of the seat, you are able to unclip the seat cover from the bottom and then you will access to the lumbar mechanism. If it is a case of the cable just popped out you should easily be able to see how it works and put it back together.

Reactions: Frostensen

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
Sorry to necro the post. Did you fix it? Happend to me yesterday. I really liked how lumbar works, now it just spins.
I didn’t mate no. I just learned to live with it but I’ve just seen the latest reply so might have a bash when the weather dries up a bit

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
When this happened to me, it was the cable had slipped out of its plastic clip. It is possible to inspect and fix without removing the seat but easier if you do remove the seat. On the rear of the seat, you are able to unclip the seat cover from the bottom and then you will access to the lumbar mechanism. If it is a case of the cable just popped out you should easily be able to see how it works and put it back together.
Excellent thanks mate. I’ll give it a go when there’s a dry spell

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
Will do the same as soon as I figure out how to detach and remove upholstery. The workshop manual is a bit hard to understand.

Robbo86

Jul 19, 2019
UK
Will do the same as soon as I figure out how to detach and remove upholstery. The workshop manual is a bit hard to understand.
Trying to think of the best way to explain it. On the rear of the seat at the bottom, the cover has almost a U shaped bar that runs the width of the seat. If you get your fingers in and pull down and away from the seat it should just pop out. If leaving the seat in the car to do it, fold the seat so the headrest is against the steering wheel (on driver side obviously)

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
Trying to think of the best way to explain it. On the rear of the seat at the bottom, the cover has almost a U shaped bar that runs the width of the seat. If you get your fingers in and pull down and away from the seat it should just pop out. If leaving the seat in the car to do it, fold the seat so the headrest is against the steering wheel (on driver side obviously)
Great, thank you. For reference, so I don't break anything, how should it pop out? The workshop manual says it is held by tension wires, I think I feel something different in my fingers so I'm not sure whether I'm unhooking or snapping something out of place.

Robbo86

Jul 19, 2019
UK
Unhooking might be a better way of putting it. When it happened to my seat, the first thing I did was blew £250 on some new seats. It was then curiosity that made me see what had happened to the lumbar support. I didn't use my manual I just went with having a look. I found it easy to get in to the seat, easy to fix the lumbar and easy to get it back together afterwards. Wish I had looked before buying new seats but I was able to get £60 back selling my old seats. Sorry I can't be of any more help, it really did just come as an easy fix when I did it and didn't give much thought or make note of what I was doing

Frostensen

Aug 10, 2019
Unhooking might be a better way of putting it. When it happened to my seat, the first thing I did was blew £250 on some new seats. It was then curiosity that made me see what had happened to the lumbar support. I didn't use my manual I just went with having a look. I found it easy to get in to the seat, easy to fix the lumbar and easy to get it back together afterwards. Wish I had looked before buying new seats but I was able to get £60 back selling my old seats. Sorry I can't be of any more help, it really did just come as an easy fix when I did it and didn't give much thought or make note of what I was doing

Thanks, that really helped. Now I understand the "U" thing you mentioned. Unfortunately the white plastic thing that holds the wire attached to the bottom of the mechanism snapped. I guess I'll have to try and order a new one If I can find it's part code.

On that note, one final question from me. Would you say that the drivers seat has a more pronounced lumbar support than the passengers? I always seem to think that my (drivers) side was always more agressive while passenger not so much (which might be a different problem altogether that I haven't located). Passenger side kinda works but meh.

1698932974777.png

Robbo86

Jul 19, 2019
UK
Hi @Frostensen. Sorry for the late response. As an owner of a car mostly held together by cable ties, I'd just be drilling holes and cable tying that back on lol. I have had a look though and can not find a part number anywhere for that clip.

As for your question regarding the passenger side, I never actually sat in the passenger side for anything other than working on bits so can't comment on the comfort. Sorry

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members