M.O.T Fail - Slightly Confused??

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
Took my car for its mot today thinking all will be fine......nope!! returned to the garage to find out that my little baby had failed. according to the bloke behind the counter the emissions are way too high which after he showed me the printout it appeared he was right. :(

the printout for the CO read 2.46% which is way too high, he says it should be 0.something?? The fail certificate stated that the lambda reading was outside the specified limits.

Now....ive had a slight misfire on boost for about a week and originally thought it was just a coilpack on its way out as i had the exact symptoms a few months back when another coilpack blew on me.

So....knowing what i knew from the mot centre (which was only a tyre fitting place so it wasnt a mechanics advice) i was fully prepared to set about having the lambda(s) changed to eliminate the problem but instead i thought it best that i found the time to vagcom my car, the following codes came up:

16684 - random/multiple cylinder misfire detected - P0300-35-00
16687 - cylinder 3 misfire detected - P0303-35-00
17658 - fuel level too low

I also had 17832 - secondary air injection system, bank 1: leak detected - P1424-35-10. I reset the codes and the secondary air injection did not return after a run down the road.

Although ive had the car for 3 years now im still fairly crap(ish) with directly finding the problem so im after a bit of advice to point me in the right direction. Would the above codes obviously point to a dodgy lambda sensor or am i right in thinking that my coilpack just hasnt given up fully yet? would the misfire/coilpack problem make the emissions rise to such a high level for the mot? apparantly to test the emissions the tester has to hold the revs at about 2800rpm for 3 minutes.

would really appreciate your advice here chaps.

cheers

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
how far have you driven with dead coils?

some people have killed their cats by chucking in unburned fuel (from no spark)

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
well....about a week really. i dont get a single misfire unless i floor it (which i only did for a prolonged(ish) period tonight just so i could get a code on the ecu). ive been driving it extremely careful to work and back as ive had no choice unfortunately so its a strange one??? im being chauffered in a bright yellow ford Ka now until i can find a solution...haha

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
check for usual stuff (like good quality plugs that aren't dead)

then buy a cat/downpipe, as yours is most likely shagged

rehanz

This is fairly odd, quite a few peolpe are having the exact same problems. My MOT also failed on couple days ago:

"Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive"

"Exhaust emissions Lambda readinf after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits"

I'm waiting on quote for a new cat and lambda to get it fixed hopefully.

RabReith89

Jul 7, 2009
Aberdeen, Scotland
Pain in the arse mate lol

My lambdas where fine, so think am gonna replace my cat for a 100cell since its only a cat back i have on right now plus the standerd cat looks at bit iffy.

cuprawill

Turbo lag is foreplay
Nov 20, 2009
I hAd fuel too low and missfire code come up when my maf was failing this may be something to look into

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.