MAF faulty or fine

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I know this question has popped up many a time however, I can not find any concrete evidence to suggest either way. When an MAF goes bad its obvious, you get a code, unplug the MAF and the car runs better. What about if you have no codes but you unplug the MAF and NOTHING changes? Some vehicles respond differently with a unplugged MAF and people may be lead to believe that the engine should shut of when its unplugged if its working properly, but I'm not sure that if this is the case with these cars.

What sort of air flow readings should I be looking at for a stage 1 LCR with 260bhp.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
When I got my auq 1.8t it had a bad MAF. Plugged or unplugged made no difference. Code would only come up with it unplugged as normal. Now replace and running fine, but if I unplugged it now... start's to miss and want's to die.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
When I got my auq 1.8t it had a bad MAF. Plugged or unplugged made no difference. Code would only come up with it unplugged as normal. Now replace and running fine, but if I unplugged it now... start's to miss and want's to die.

With this in mind perhaps I will change mine then, I've got a BOSCH one for collection at ECP. I know its a recon but even GSF want 150 for a recon (after surcharge). Been having some issues with random misfires when poodling along. Smoke tested and replaced the PCV valve, still happened, replaced plugs, still happened. Got it on VCDS and its a intermittent misfire on cylinder 4 so need to get out there and swap 4 to 1 and see what happens, only bought these BOSCH VAG coils last year round 7K miles ago.

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
funnily most people would not notice the difference between a functioning MAF and one thats unplugged (if the dash light didn't give it away)
possibly they might get slightly worse MPG.
Do you know what sort of MAF readings would be normal for a stage 1 LCR BAM. I've read that 180g/s is correct for a LC 180.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
funnily most people would not notice the difference between a functioning MAF and one thats unplugged (if the dash light didn't give it away)
possibly they might get slightly worse MPG.
So I have a different issue? If I unplugged mine now the car wouldn't be drivable.

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Because everyone MAF is broken haha.

I was under the impression that the ECU uses various other sensors to manage the airflow and so if you unplug you MAF then it reverts to other sensors which will be completely out of your MAF has been doing its job. Whereas if your MAF is broken the ECU will be so used to predicting these variables that there will be no difference.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Because everyone MAF is broken haha.

I was under the impression that the ECU uses various other sensors to manage the airflow and so if you unplug you MAF then it reverts to other sensors which will be completely out of your MAF has been doing its job. Whereas if your MAF is broken the ECU will be so used to predicting these variables that there will be no difference.
So maybe I have a different sensor fault, when I unplug the MAF, my car goes from nice running to what seems like a coil have popped. Maybe the next sensor along the line is faulty and the MAF ATM is making up for said faulty sensor, but surely a faulty sensor would throw a code.
I'm off work today so I'm going to see if I can get it to be nice and throw a code. Does have low down surging issue, especially when cold over the past month or so.

1.8t

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.