MAF Meter

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Ok I have removed mine - the metal mesh that goes into the airbox has oil on it as when I run my finger on it the colour returns to silver..and I get oil on my finger!! I smelt the hose this came from and it smells like fuel - is this meant to? Recently when the heaters have been on full blast I've had the odd smell of fuel come through aswell. Ignition coil pack maybe?

Anyway on the black plastic unit on the side of the MAF meter it reads

PBT-GF80K JP
037 906 461B
1 3 39/04
Hitachi

Any of this the part number? Someone said cleaning in a bag of meths - this is just the alcohol stuff isn't it?

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Recently when the heaters have been on full blast I've had the odd smell of fuel come through aswell.

Whats the fuel economy/performance like?

With regards to the fuel smell - have you checked the condition of the flexi rubber fuel pipes at the back, drivers side of the engine bay. There's 2 of them (feed/return) clamped to the hard lines that go under the car to the tank. They tend to crack/perish
at the ends and seep fuel!

DC

Last edited:

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Didn't think they had MAF sensors?

The silver thing connected to the back of the airbox in a 2l 8v in the Mass Air Flow meter - the sensor is plugged into it on the left hand side.

C11PRA DC - I have recently installed a new lambda sensor - it wasn't that bad on the mpg but it's a tad nicer on short runs now. The car keeps cutting out (due to airflow) and won't always start first time. I guess the fuel smell could be from me flooding the engine? But are you referring to these pipes being on the underside of the engine bay?

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Inside the engine bay near the brake master cylinder!

They clamp to the hard plastic fuel lines running up from under the car.

How do you know its cutting out due to airflow?

It could be the coil but have you ruled out:

Dizzy cap
Rotor arm
HT leads
Spark plugs
Air temp sensor (airbox)
Any of the other sensors!
Cleaning the throttle body
Breather pipe/s connection/condition

Iam shure there are others!

DC

Last edited:

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Cap and arm is fine
Replaced HT Leads & Sparks
Cleaned TB
New lambda sensor
New coolant temp sensor

...I gave up and took it to the garage where they ran diagnostics and it came up with MAF :)

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Cap and arm is fine
Replaced HT Leads & Sparks
Cleaned TB
New lambda sensor
New coolant temp sensor

...I gave up and took it to the garage where they ran diagnostics and it came up with MAF :)

Have you checked the connection to the MAF and the unit itself is dry and not causing a short. Maybe its saying MAF due to the oily/fuel deposits on the inside interfering with the sensor?

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
YOUR MAF IS HITACHI AS MINE WAS AND LIKE ROCKING HORSE SHEEIITE TO SOURCE 2ND HAND,SEAT WANTED £400 FOR ONE:censored: ONLY PLACE I FOUND ONE WAS EBAY GERMANY AND THAT WAS THROUGH GOOGLING THE PART NUMBER,037......,STARTING A UNHEALTHY OBSESSION!! TURNED OUT IT WASN'T THAT BUT THE LAMBDA SENSOR THAT NEEDED REPLACING DESPITE SEATS DIAGNOSTICS:think:

COST ME £25 DELIVERED AND WAS WORTH THE RISK TO SAVE £375! MATE OF MINE SAYS THEY EITHER WORK OR DON'T NO INBETWEEN AND NOW I HAVE A SPARE WHICH I'LL BE HANGING ONTO IN CASE OF FUTURE NEED........

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
YOUR MAF IS HITACHI AS MINE WAS AND LIKE ROCKING HORSE SHEEIITE TO SOURCE 2ND HAND,SEAT WANTED £400 FOR ONE:censored: ONLY PLACE I FOUND ONE WAS EBAY GERMANY AND THAT WAS THROUGH GOOGLING THE PART NUMBER,037......,STARTING A UNHEALTHY OBSESSION!! TURNED OUT IT WASN'T THAT BUT THE LAMBDA SENSOR THAT NEEDED REPLACING DESPITE SEATS DIAGNOSTICS:think:

COST ME £25 DELIVERED AND WAS WORTH THE RISK TO SAVE £375! MATE OF MINE SAYS THEY EITHER WORK OR DON'T NO INBETWEEN AND NOW I HAVE A SPARE WHICH I'LL BE HANGING ONTO IN CASE OF FUTURE NEED........

I'll consider myself fortunate then! Got my NEW MAF off a reputable VAG NOS seller on ebay for £6 !!!!!!!
Its on the car now!

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
I'll consider myself fortunate then! Got my NEW MAF off a reputable VAG NOS seller on ebay for £6 !!!!!!!
Its on the car now!

Think Kinghams may have been taking the pee a bit but i kid you not that's what they quoted me!! Seems the bosch ones are a dime a dozen but hitachi,they make tellys for gods sake!! Could you just shove a bosch one on out of curiousity?.....

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Last night my car hit rock bottom and I had to call the AA out. My car was cutting out every few minutes, so bouncing on the front end then driving home was a little ridiculous. I asked him about the MAF Sensor and apparently the only sensor which needs to be working for the car to run is the crank position sensor.

Anywho, he followed me most of the way home and everytime my car died he'd hope out and test for sparks etc. We replaced the coilpack and amplifier but this didn't solve the problem. Anyway, before being towed 5mins down the road to get home the AA man told me it's electrical not fuel related. When my car cuts out I don't always have a spark when trying to start the car again, so he reckons it's the CPS aswell (which did fix the problems on some other members' cars after not being diagnozed). The MAF meter is a red herring (so saved me about £100) in his opinion.

Basically the CPS is either a Hall Chip, or something else. He thinks it's a Hall Chip as it has 3 wires. Electrical components cut out when hot. There should have been a silicone layer on the CPS to protect it from overheating but obviously it's completely worn out by now. There's a blue block which connects to a white block at the front of the engine bay - this is the end of the CPS and you can follow it through to where it sits on the car - just behind the oil filter.

jaketalbot

cupra Jake
Dec 11, 2006
Colchester
the mk'2s are starting to struggle people, can't believe how much is going wrong with them latley! fenix- so its looking like the cps then? let me know when you've got a new one fitted mate.

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
It's in the garage today Jake will have it back today or tomorrow. As I said above, I wasn't getting a spark once I cut out and the CPS is the only sensor which needs to work on the car for it to run properly.

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
Can get them for £55 brand new mate :)
Car's back, it was a big job to do as lots of things had to be unbolted!! It seems a more sensitive to the accelerator but will see after I give the car a good run about!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members