Main beam assist (auto full beam) faulty?

Xabu-ST280

Nov 1, 2015
I've not had great results with this since I've had the car but now we are into the dark nights its bugging me again so I was wondering if anyone's got this figured out?

With the lights on auto and the headlight stalk pressed forwards once the headlight symbol on the dash shows an A like its supposed to. This as far as I can tell should now move between dipped headlights if there is oncoming traffic of something in front to main beam when its clear,
Mine does this when I'm on a straight bit of duel carriageway or wide road but as soon as I get into narrower twisters roads it will never switch to main beam. Its not a big problem as you just flick it on manually but I noticed when in a friends Mondeo the other night that his system coped with the same roads fine and switched his main beams on and off.

Anyone know if this normal and just a limitation of the car (cos it makes no mention of it in the manual) or is it a fault/misalignment or maybe something I've not spotted in a menu?

Does anyone get the same result as I do?

MrRilo

Jun 4, 2016
Buxton, Derbyshire
Mine work fine. There is a lower speed limit where they don't switch. Below 40 mph, they stay on dip. Could this explain what's happening on the twisty roads?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Xabu-ST280

Nov 1, 2015
Based on that and with a re-read of the manual it looks like the system switches on at 37 mph but if you drop below 18 mph it switches off again. Never to switch off again till you hit 37 again I wonder?

So my usual commute goes from high speed to pulling up at a junction and then a drive into single track lanes where 37+ is just to quick to be safe. If I've read that right its not going to work without driving to quick for the road.

Anyone know if that's correct and if it is can it be reprogramed as it doesn't seem much use as is.

thanks

MrRilo

Jun 4, 2016
Buxton, Derbyshire
Based on that and with a re-read of the manual it looks like the system switches on at 37 mph but if you drop below 18 mph it switches off again. Never to switch off again till you hit 37 again I wonder?

So my usual commute goes from high speed to pulling up at a junction and then a drive into single track lanes where 37+ is just to quick to be safe. If I've read that right its not going to work without driving to quick for the road.

Anyone know if that's correct and if it is can it be reprogramed as it doesn't seem much use as is.

thanks

Mine definately wont activate until exceeding 37mph but also come off when dropping below this.

I am sure I have read on here that you can adjust the speed at which it activates with VCDS or OBDELEVEN.

Had a quick look on the OBDELEVEN forum and wonder if this is the setting.

Modify the configuration wizard beam
With this modification we can modify the rates of activation of the beam in automatic mode
1 - Module A5 - front sensors driver assistance system. Code (20103)
2 - Adaptation
3 - Select - speed p.asist activation. Beam
4 - Change the desired value. By default 57 Km / h
5 - Select - Threshold vel. To recomend. Road lights OFF
6 - Change the desired value. Default 27 Km / h

Xabu-ST280

Nov 1, 2015
Thanks MrRilo. That's exactly what I'm after. Tested it with a quick blast to 40 between bends on the same lanes and it came on so mines the same as yours.
I'd better do some reading on VCDS and OBDELEVEN as I know nothing at the moment.
Seems like a stupid restriction to me if it works off recognising light from other cars. Why cripple it with a speed restriction on roads that you need it on most.