Maintenance on older Mk4s?

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
Came to fill up my washer bottle this morning and found that the bonnet wouldn't shut properly - seems that the mechanism has corroded and was jammed open. Tried to get it off but a bolt was spinning and not coming out (only held in by 2). So coated it liberally with PTFE coated oil stuff and manually worked it until it was freer. It is probably one of the most exposed bits in the engine bay.

5mins lubing it before it happens will possibly save somebody some pain further down the line (there wasn't any obvious overspray from a previous service having lubed it).

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Cheers for the heads-up - I'll have a look at mine when I change my bulbs this weekend :cheers:

Triple D

I had that same problem on saturday, opened the bonnet then went to shut it and it wouldn't close, tried pressing it down, still wouldn't close. I looked at the latch and that was working ok so went to have a look at the leaver that you pull to open it and that was still in the open position. didn't i feel like a twat. :redface: after spending about 15 mins trying to shut the bonnet.

Triple D

muddyboots said:
It shouldn't stay in the open position though...
I know just pushed it back and it was fine, bonnet shut ok and opened again first time. Maybe just the cold

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
when you say old, what you mean.

Mines only 18 months old, but 37500 on the clock, so guess that now includes me.

big service comng up soon, DOH!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I think old probably (at the moment anyway) is referring to 2002/2003 models - mine's an 03 on 74k miles now, out of warranty, and my maintenance contract will run out at 75k...

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Red ibiza said:
is '03 old my cars done 5600 miles lol

God you are a sbad as my mum, her polo goes in for its annual service next week, milage at 1yr old is 1600, its only just run in!!!