Major electrical failure

UlsterIbiza

Sep 1, 2016
I have a 2005 1.9 TDI (130hp) Ibiza which has 172k on the clock.

An hour or two ago, I was on the motorway when, without any prior warning, the dashboard display lights went out and ABS, power steering, airbag and traction control lights came on. I quickly realised that this wasn't just faulty sensors and that the power steering was completely gone. I managed to get the car home as I didnt fancy being stuck at the side of the road at half eleven at night but not before another red brake warning light had come on as well. I also discovered that the indicators had completely failed and there seems to be an issue with the main beam too.

To put the hat on it, the problem seems to be affecting the alarm as well which went off shortly after I locked the car.

Anyone any ideas what this is likely to be and if it likely to be a major repair? I''m concious that an expensive repair would probably write the car off as its value is <1000 quid.

Any help/advice appreciated.

UlsterIbiza

Sep 1, 2016
Thanks Andy - as it happens, the problem was fairly obvious when I had the bonet open today. The alternator belt had shredded itself which was evidently the moment that the warning lights came on. It seems that a the tensioner had failed though the belt itself looked in pretty bad condition generally.

New tensioner and belt fitted today, along with a service which was due - running pefectly now without huge expense. A few more miles left in it yet after all! :funk:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.