1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Maxxis Vs5 looking a good tyre

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3' started by mdaw1985, Aug 15, 2019.

1. mdaw1985

mdaw1985 Active Member

I came to know about these tyres after my dad needed some after his old pirellis would have failed an Mot so my dad just told him to get some tyres on there as long as they weren't budgets. The mechanic we know said they came highly recommended. My immediate reaction was REALLY! As far as I was concerned I've never known Maxxis to be more than a mediocre brand but I have finally found a couple of tests for this tyre and they give it some good results.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3AE4sWh_2UVLQh9I87GaxJ

https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/tyre-test/motor-tyre-test-2019-australia-best-performance-tyre

2. G.P

G.P Active Member

Evo mag this month just did a test with the winner been Pirelli however, they did say they also tested the Maxxis Victra Sport 5 of which was not included within the results due to not been able to purchase it as easy as the others but had it been included it would have been the winner..

3. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Active Member

Maxxis are not a crap brand. They are one of the largest tyre manufacturers in the world and are very big in many countries that are not Britain.

Our Leon has four Maxxis Premitra 5 tyres on it and I would buy them again. Compared to test winners from top brands they stack up pretty well. I'm very fussy about tyres and I'm very happy with them

4. Dannnnn

Dannnnn Active Member

Depends which car it's on.
    On a normal Leon yeah they are probably great.
    On a Cupra? Probably not so much

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

Not premium brand but mid range

In same bracket as

Falken / kumho / uniroyal etc

6. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Active Member

I've never had a Uniroyal of Kumho tyre but I've driven cars on Falken tyres extensively. Not my own but at work etc. I think Falken tyres are pretty bad, from my experience. I wouldn't buy them. The Maxxis tyres are far better.

7. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

The maxxis may be better but its a mid range tyre as are the tyre brands i quoted.

Some more midrange tyres would be Toyo and Hankook

You have your premium brands

Continental / pirelli / goodyear / dunlop etc

Then the midrange is the gang i mentioned

Then your cheap is your chinese muck triangle tyres linglong absolute junk like that

8. KXL

KXL KXL

#8 KXL, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  9. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Active Member

I had a Mazda that came with Bridgestone Turranza. I thought they were ok but the car tramlined like mad and squirmed under heavy braking. I assumed it was the car but when I got rid of the Bridgstones both problems went away.

10. mdaw1985

mdaw1985 Active Member

I have Bridgestone t001 on my Leon. They are the tyres that came with the car I assume. They are OK. I won't be putting more on. I would be much more likely to put these VS5's on.

11. mdaw1985

mdaw1985 Active Member

I to have seen that Hankook are to become premium. Their pricing with the likes of blackcircles would reflect this. At the moment their s1 evo 2 is more expensive than the Goodyear as5. Saying that the falken 510 is as well. In 225/45/17