Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Maybe an end in sight for Kangaroo jerking...

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by ReddStripe, Nov 3, 2019.

1. GeoffGeoff

GeoffGeoff Active Member

Has anyone noticed any improvement following first service/oil change just out of curiosity or by running premium fuel.

I’m just finishing my first tank of premium and when I fill her up again I’m going to try an ecu reset and let it learn my driving style again (assuming this is like my previous car and will do such a thing).

Might have been done before but I’ll keep you posted with any changes over the next week or two.

Geoff

ReddStripe likes this.
  2. Maypack

Maypack Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage

MrsMaypacks 1.5 TSI EVO 150hp FR Black Edition has an Engine Code of DPCA and is showing Software Version 9596 against the Engine Control Module when scanned with OBDeleven.

This differs from the info shown above.

Does anyone know the difference in the Engine Codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ReddStripe

ReddStripe Active Member

I'm certain that the newer 1.5 150bhp DPCA is not an affected engine. It seems to be the DACA and DADA versions.

4. Maypack

If the newer engine is not affected, what is the difference between it and the older engines that stops the issue occurring?

GeoffGeoff likes this.
  5. ReddStripe

ReddStripe Active Member

That's a good question. I've been searching Google but not found a definite answer. I only found out there was a new version of the engine last week.

6. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

I have run my car since 0 miles on premium unleaded (now on 12.5k) and have the issue. Never put any 95 ron in it

7. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

I didn’t even know there was a new version

8. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

Seems very strange to replace an engine within a year of release don’t you think? Must be a major revision / flaw i would of thought

9. Maypack

That’s what I was thinking.

A new Engine Code suggests to me that there has been an upgrade in some way. Maybe one of the dealers who access this forum may be able to supply some info on the differences.

10. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

The 1.5 DADA and DACA only came out on 68 plates so it would only of been a year old before replacing. Seems very odd

11. BigFatFish

BigFatFish Active Member

My 130 I picked up at weekend is a DPBA (not lifted the bonnet since i got it to check that corresponds to what's stamped on the engine) on the V5. Haven't felt anything since i collected it, theres a piece of paper in the glovebox in Spanish dated 9.1.20, maybe a build date or QC date? But I know my car landed in grimsby somewhere around the 24th Jan. So not sure when they started shipping this motor....

12. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

Hmm so both 130 and 150 varients swapped out for newer engines within the year, this paints a clear picture i would say

13. Maypack

Maybe a bargaining chip for those with the earlier engine and hesitation issues.

jimmyjimmy likes this.
  14. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

Shame they will never be honest with the customers and deny all knowledge

15. ReddStripe

ReddStripe Active Member

Absolutely. There is very little chance that an admission would be made that would risk a complete recall of so many vehicles and a reputation disaster. So what they have done is start discreetly rolling out a modified engine. I wouldn't know where to start to try and work out what has changed exactly. I will chuck another tenner at SEAT tomorrow morning and access Erwin to see if there are any updated docs for the 1.5 TSI engine. I can't see it being anything obvious though and certainly no documents will be released on the public facing side of Erwin that could cause VWAG some headaches.

#95 ReddStripe, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    BigJase88 likes this.
  16. BigFatFish

BigFatFish Active Member

A quick Google shows a forum post (I've not verified the information) where the changeover for vw was probably over summer shutdown as the engine appears to have entered use in July 19....so when did Seat start shipping cars with it?

17. Maypack

MrsMaypacks 1.5 TSI 150 has a build date of late October 2019.

18. SRGTD

SRGTD Active Member

It’s interesting that VAG removed the 1.5 EVO engine from the model line up in the Seat Ibiza and VW Polo but it continues to be used in other vehicles across the VAG brands. In fact it never made it into the Polo - it was included in early marketing and product literature, and it was possible to configure a Polo R-Line model with a 1.5 EVO and DSG only transmission when the current Polo was launched, but all traces of a 1.5 engined Polo model mysteriously disappeared very soon after without explanation. The 1.5 EVO engine with a manual gearbox did make it into early versions of the current Ibiza though, but was subsequently dropped.

I can only assume that VAG were aware of the issues with this engine way back in 2017 - hence why it was removed from their small car segment vehicles. Impact on sales would be low, as Ibiza’s and Polo’s with the 1.0 litre three cylinder engine in various states of tune would account for the majority of small car sales. It probably wasn’t feasible to delete this engine option from the Leon, Golf and larger models though as that would leave a large hole, giving customers a restricted choice - either small or larger capacity engines, with nothing in between. That would’ve had a potentially very large impact on sales volumes, and sales volumes would’ve been VAG’s priority, rather than customer satisfaction.......

ReddStripe likes this.
  19. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

it also disappeared as a choice for a new leon too for a month or so, possibly when they were changing out the older engines. I tried to spec a new fr and the 1.5tsi was missing from the lineup for a while

20. RUM4MO

RUM4MO Active Member

So, what someone needs to do is to first establish ALL the differences in part numbers between the early versions and the latest one - that would take a few minutes/hours, and try to work from that what the issues/implications were/are?

ReddStripe and GeoffGeoff like this.