Mayo on the oil filler cap

Given the weather of late down on the southcoast, would you be concerned to find signs of Mayo on the Oil filler cap even after a long run (70 miles on the M25/M3). I first noticed it after leaving the car at Heathrow whilst in Thailand at the end of last month and put it down to the car not being used, however three weeks later there are still signs of Mayo on the oil filler cap but i'm not sure if it's because i do less than 20 miles a day and the engine isn't getting hot enough to allow the water to evaporate. :(

There is no noticeable use of coolant, nor is there a drop in performance. :confused:

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
it needs running for a long(ish) time to burn off the water

Bunglebonce

Bunglebonce
Jan 21, 2005
The Blackcountry
Hard to say.

Could be condensation as you quite rightly point out and they can still run fine even with the head/gasket sh@gged.

Lob some flushing oil in it, take it on a run, drop the oil and then treat it to a better quality one than you normally use (assuming you dont you a high spec one already) as some oils sludge more than others.

Before assuming the worst you may interested to know that I used to have a VW type II and that used to get mayo all the time :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members