Media 2.2 and Android - does it work as good as iPhone?

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Hey all,

I'm looking for a new phone and want to get away from the litigious parasites that are apple, looking at the galaxy s3. Has anybody got one and does android work with the media 2.2 as smooth as the iPhone?

Cheers all.

matty1000kk

Oct 11, 2011
Yes! I have an S3 and it works fine with the Media system 2.2
Full control when streaming music via Bluetooth and the hands free phone side works great!

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
I have the HTC One X and it works just fine; I'm not sure why my media system version is, though. When I play music from my phone, I cannot use the steering wheel buttons to switch songs (next, previous, etc.) but I can use Voice Activation and say "Music, then Next" and it plays the next song. lol

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Matty, thanks for your reply mate. Can you navigate through playlists? Do they appear on the screen?

I'm looking for something that's as good as the iPhone and iTunes but not either of them. I can't stand apple and want to get as far away as possible.

Sep 17, 2011
Having gone from apple personally you won't get much better than the s3, great bit of kit in every way
Apples are for eating!

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
I second that. I have been an iPhone and BlackBerry (sometimes simultaneously) since 2007 and I can tell you that the only thing that the only devices that are as good, if not better, than the iPhone are the HTC One X (or One X +, since that's the new one), Galaxy S3, and Note 2. It all depends on preference of size and such, but those three devices are superb.

ahmedelbaghdady

i just bought a galaxy S3 so can i control my music by using the steering wheel or only by using the voice command

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
i just bought a galaxy S3 so can i control my music by using the steering wheel or only by using the voice command

It all depends on the Bluetooth unit you have. There are standard ones and there are premium ones, and there are ones that don't even support music/audio playback but only phone calls.

The Bluetooth unit is located under the passenger seat, but how you can find out what the code printed on it means is beyond me. Perhaps you're better off taking a picture of the BT unit and creating a thread about it here.

With mine I can only switch songs using voice control but not steering wheel buttons. And by the way, I have used several devices like the iPhone, BlackBerry, and HTC and the steering wheel buttons do not work with them so I am sure it is the BT unit itself rather than the phone. By the way, I have the RCD310 head unit just in case that is necessary to know.

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
I'm getting a supercopa next week so I'm hoping that it will have the premium bt unit. My current FR+ controls songs via Bluetooth but most of the time it's connected via USB.

I want to try an s3 in my car first, I wonder if carphonewarehouse would do that? Worth a try.

matty1000kk

Oct 11, 2011
Matty, thanks for your reply mate. Can you navigate through playlists? Do they appear on the screen?

I'm looking for something that's as good as the iPhone and iTunes but not either of them. I can't stand apple and want to get as far away as possible.

Hmmm not sure on the navigation through playlists. I think you can only skip through the songs on that current playlist or album but I will check. The track names etc display on both the dash screen and the head unit but only what is currently playing. I don't think you can browse through tracks/albums. I don't think this is a limitation of the system as the seat system is actually one of best for functionality and simplicity. You could just dump all your tracks onto a flash drive and then you will have full control, browsing/playlists etc.

ahmedelbaghdady

It all depends on the Bluetooth unit you have. There are standard ones and there are premium ones, and there are ones that don't even support music/audio playback but only phone calls.

The Bluetooth unit is located under the passenger seat, but how you can find out what the code printed on it means is beyond me. Perhaps you're better off taking a picture of the BT unit and creating a thread about it here.

With mine I can only switch songs using voice control but not steering wheel buttons. And by the way, I have used several devices like the iPhone, BlackBerry, and HTC and the steering wheel buttons do not work with them so I am sure it is the BT unit itself rather than the phone. By the way, I have the RCD310 head unit just in case that is necessary to know.

with my old mobile (blackberry curve 9300) i could only switched songs using the voice command, i have the 2012 candy white leon

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
Same here, mate. I have used several devices (different brands) and I can only use BT voice commands to switch songs but not the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel. Wouldn't it be awesome if there's a certain tweak/adapter that would enable that? :D

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
I've just bought a Google nexus 7 as a first dip into the Android market, this has bluetooth on it. I'm wondering if connecting this to my car will be as good as using a phone? I can't see why not as it's an OS that I'm testing?

Worth a shot I suppose, I'll let you all know tomorrow when I pick the supercopa up!

Can't wait!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.