Merry christmas you need a new clutch!

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
Think i need a new clutch, biting point isn't until near the top of the pedal travel with very little play its just basically in or out if that makes sense?
Im in the leeds area just after some suggestions on good places I could take it and price ranges?
Looking at just changing the clutch if I could get away with it.
Thanks and merry christmas.

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
As a rule of thumb then, does it mean that the fact the biting point of the clutch is very high (i.e you don't have to push the pedal down much) means it's on it's way out?

Mine is the opposite, at 65,000 miles and I need to push it nearly all the way to the floor to disengage the clutch to change gear, and I thought that meant it was nearing the end of it's life?

Either way, are the clutches on Tdi's adjustable?

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
They are adjustable I believe my mechanical knowledge isn't great but I think having a high bite means it's at end of it's life from what iv read I think having it very low maybe you need to bleed the clutch there may be air in system?

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
They are adjustable I believe my mechanical knowledge isn't great but I think having a high bite means it's at end of it's life from what iv read I think having it very low maybe you need to bleed the clutch there may be air in system?

Very interesting, I didn't even know it was a hydraulic clutch. Anyone got any advice on how to do this?

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
I'm not sure il try investigate and let you know come to conclusion I'm just going to change the clutch as I think the flywheel is ok

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
Ye pretty normal bite now it's near the top of the travel and ye let's hope it's in good working condition then lol

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
They are however, they are louder at idle dependant on kit and I know the Valeo SMF kit is only rated for about 270lb/ft

Unless you're planning for big power or constant full throttle traffic light starts, stick with DMF.

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
It's just got a custom map and a decat so stage 1 I guess, I'm just in two minds weather a flywheel is needed what's the tell tale signs of a failing flywheel?

dann2707

MPG Hunter
Sep 9, 2013
Leeds
It's false economy not to change the DMF when you're changing the clutch. Massive mistake.

I've got a single mass flywheel conversion on mine, I paid £260 delivered for the clutch and smf from eBay new of course. Absolutely no difference in sound when idling as shown in this vid :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LykXFEEyfVI

Totally happy with it, car seems to pick up much faster, more free revving like a petrol if that makes sense?

I'm going to 200 ish bhp soon so hopefully it'l hold the power too.

Jonnyp14391

Dec 9, 2013
What brand was this? Iv looked at valeo wich is 390 and translatec are like 245 I think but not sure on that brand? Ye I have heard mixed feelings about smf but that doesn't sound bad does that

dann2707

MPG Hunter
Sep 9, 2013
Leeds
It's not remapped yet, it's getting remapped sometime this week :)

It's got a hybrid turbo on it so its going to be a good test of the kit haha

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.