metal shavings in the coolant header

robert savage

Jul 8, 2018
northern ireland
hi changed the coolant temp sensor the other night and i noticed tonight i had a air lock but when i was bleeding the coolant i noticed metal shavings in my header tank what could this be ? cheers in advance

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
I,m thinking same....water pump impeller....when did you last do timing belt,as always do water pump at same time.....BUT it could also be as simple as bits of swarf from your replacement coolant temp sensor...as you have just replaced it and not rusty bits ….clean up what you can and keep an eye on temp as well as checking for any more bits if all ok after a couple of days ...cured....or flush system and see what comes out ,at least then if any more appears its water pump ….

Reactions: robert savage

robert savage

Jul 8, 2018
northern ireland
i checked the service book the water pump was done at 70 odd thousand theres 111k on it now thinking of getting it done to be safe as ive only had the car for 2 months since ive changed the temp sensor the gauge sits at 90 for a while then drops down to 60 and back up and down pluged it into my vds and it said error in mapped cooling system in brackets temp sensor / thermostat i replaced it with the green top coolant sensor thanks for the reply guys ,....

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise