Milltek question

sibbocupra

Mar 15, 2010
Has anyone fitted a milltek Cat back to their cupra them selves? I have fitted exhausts before but just wondering if there are any fiddly bits i should look out for and if there is anything in particular i need to do with it being milltek??:confused:

sibbocupra

Mar 15, 2010
I had issues when i did it to my mk4 GTI, the pipe looped over the back axel.....which meant i had to fire up the agle grinder! As long as theres no obsticles then im hoping it should be fine on some axel stands!

Ive heard that u have to mess about tightening the seals on a milltek, as in you have to leave them loose and then run it so the pipe expands.....or is that a load of rubbish?

IRC it doesn't go over the back axel, the front section is joined by an adaptor which basically a piece of pipe that slides over both sections and is just 2 bolts, this is replaced with the reducer, the bracket is on the drivers side of the car that needs releasing the old system then drops off , the new one for me just got fitted, we didn't really heat it then tighten it, we just put it together loosly got it in the right position then tightened it, started it and then tightened any clips, i think what you suggest might be a good idea as i'm sure mine sounds boomy when it gets hot.

sibbocupra

Mar 15, 2010
Nice1, good info, sounds nice and simple! Im gonna get a non resinated system i think....is there and crackle and backfire.....because i want some!??:D

sibbocupra

Mar 15, 2010
:wtf:Rubbish, what kind of tone does it get then, surely a non resi must be louder than the standard pipe??

Poverty

:wtf:Rubbish, what kind of tone does it get then, surely a non resi must be louder than the standard pipe??

thats milltek for you they call it oem plus and charge a harm and a leg for it. Get a blueflame or eurojet.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I have never heard another exhaust on a MK2 Leon other than a Milltek but to be fair I like the Milltek as its quiet, but very musical when you turn on the tap. I have had several people comment on the bark the car has on boost.

sibbocupra

Mar 15, 2010
I dont want it to sound like a saxo with a drain pipe hangin off the back:ban: which is why i'm going for milltek. Ive heard them on a lot of VAG's, brothers VR6 and S4. The youtube link above is perfect, just thought it mite have a little lift off rumble. Ive seen all the other versions on youtube and they all sound like a Sunday night at a car park full of corsa's and Saxo's.
Millteks make the car sound naturally powerfull rather than dwarfing engine and intake noise. Just wouldnt mind a little crackle every now and then! Plus they do the oval shape which looks perfect

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
so is the blue flame system 'Saxo / corsa' ish mod sounding then?

I like my K1 system as standard (single centre oval pipe) but not sure many replacement units for mine yet.

Like you I would like a 'sporty rumble' that sounds like it comes from a proper sports car rather than an annoying din!! :blink:

sibbocupra

Mar 15, 2010
Haha! Just from what ive seen on youtube, every exhaust that isnt a milltek sounds a bit generic:whistle:....its like a raspy high pitched drain pipe noise, they dont have any specific tone, it could be on a cupra or a corsa 1.2 and you couldnt tell the difference. A milltek needs power running through it before it makes any noise. and the noise is a deep tone kind of RS4 M3 kinda sound.

Wasnt saying bluefin in particular but every other exhaust i hear has too much rasp. All you can hear is the exhaust and it sounds false. Millteks seem to blend nicely with intake and engine noise:D

Poverty

Haha! Just from what ive seen on youtube, every exhaust that isnt a milltek sounds a bit generic:whistle:....its like a raspy high pitched drain pipe noise, they dont have any specific tone, it could be on a cupra or a corsa 1.2 and you couldnt tell the difference. A milltek needs power running through it before it makes any noise. and the noise is a deep tone kind of RS4 M3 kinda sound.

Wasnt saying bluefin in particular but every other exhaust i hear has too much rasp. All you can hear is the exhaust and it sounds false. Millteks seem to blend nicely with intake and engine noise:D

the milltek is a raspy exhuast and sounds nothing like a m3 or rs4. The blueflame system is a deeper noise than the milltek and is said to be really really nice. A milly on a vr6 and s4 does sound the business but don't expect too much from your cupra as the s4 and vr6 benefit from their engine configuration. For what it's worth the milly doesn't really sound much different from a big power k1 with the standard backbox, other than being louder on full chat and idle

sibbocupra

Mar 15, 2010
Thats why i want a milltek, becaue it doesnt over power all the other noises such as induction noise. Ive never heard a milltek exhaust that sounds raspy. I know what you mean with the V6/8 noises that other cars make, but the milltek seems to enhance the engine tone rather than it sounding like its got an exhaust bolted on if you know what i mean. Ive never heard a bluefin so cant really compare but all the vids ive seen online of other exhausts sound like a cracked exhaust or like the exhaust has fallen off.