Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are now available from our online store.

MK 3 280 Stage 3

Discussion in 'Readers Rides (SEAT)' started by theoldboy, Jul 7, 2018.

1. theoldboy

theoldboy Senior Member

Welcome to my ride thread.

To be clear to all I love the 280 Cupra it's a car with Character and for me Revo Tunes are great, there are more powerful maps out there but these guys work for me and my style of driving.

So I purchased a Stock 280 which was an Ex Seat car, I had been driving family people carriers for a number of years, kids have grown up and my choice was between the Golf R and the Cupra. The Cupra I loved and have not regretted it since.

So on to the Build.

First update was Revo Stage 1 map (375 bhp) and open cone filter to give a bit of noise and I have enjoyed that setup for a year and a bit.

In the mean time I have fitted bonnet gas struts and upgraded Boot struts to enable remote opening.

OBD11 - ABS / XDS and Torque Limited updates along with all the many many other changes great bit of kit.

Was going stage 2 but saved up and decided to go stage three and finish with the maps (engine and gearbox) so here we are.

Firstly here is a pic of the old girl that the Revo Garage shot for me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 theoldboy, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. theoldboy

theoldboy Senior Member

And now on to the detail:

Stage 3 Revo Build both Engine and DSG
    Upgraded Revo Turbo (IS38ETR)
    Full Mount Kit
    Revo Intercooler and Pipe Kit
    Revo Big Brake kit (380 x 32mm)
    Carbon Series air intake system
    Milltek sports cat / downpipe with quad black round tips.

Replaced the suspension with KW DDC ‘Plug & Play’ Coilover Suspension Kit
    Replaced the wheels with 8.0x19 5x112 ET45 OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERA HLT (RED)
    ---------and for those of you who know me yes I like red and white (just need some blue now)

Bodywork has had Maxton Design
    Front Splitter
    Side Skirts
    Rear Diffuser

Tyres
    235/35/19 YR MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S (91Y) XL

Spark Plugs were already Audi RS7
    Engine Oil, DSG Oil and filters were changed along with the Haldex oil

You can check out all the Revo info on their web site but the salient point for me of the software were

1/ Turbo power is limited if the engine is cold or too hot
    2/ DSG Map allows multiple Launch Control points and rev limit is increased
    3/ 2nd Gear is held unless stationary when in drive or manual
    4/ Kickdown is removed when in manual.

And obviously it goes quickly.

Mount kit I am very impressed with, check out the vids of the difference but with all the extra power it felt very smooth and planted.

Big Brake kit, not had a change to really push them hard yet but the stats on Revo site basically say from 100 - 0 you will stop 52.8 feet quicker (eg 3.8 Golfs) and so far no noise. This kit not only replaces the Brake fluid but upgrades it to Motul Dot 5.1 and provides braided lines

First impressions of the Inter cooler and updated pipework are that is works, my temps have reduced but I will feedback more after I have had the car for a bit more time on the road.

Exhaust I was very specific with the Garage I wanted street legal with noise under power but no drone and chav popping at every stage. The Milltek system does that and i have to say I like the black tips they are very understated and a lot less cleaing.

Suspension its the KW DDC ‘Plug & Play system so you get the Comfort, Sport and Sport + settings mapped to the modes on the car but with slightly adjusted damping levels, This model is for street comfort in comfort mode so you don't know you are on coilovers but much better feel in Cupra Mode but still not harsh harsh.
    Car is lowered but again its not a chav ride for me its about comfort but being able to turn on harder dampers when required. My only complaint it took a very long time to get these delivered - Factory issue...

Wheels and Tyres I had been looking for some time and found these OZ Racingline ones. I got a good discount on them and they are much lighter so was happy about that and even though they are a custom build they came quickly and the place I got them from also balanced and fitted the Rubber. PS4S Nothing else needs to be said about them they are great.

#2 theoldboy, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  3. theoldboy

theoldboy Senior Member

And here are the pics

Turbo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kit include Turbo Muffler Delete
    [​IMG]

Mount Kit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    On this side you have to move the water tank forward a little but it is still bolted at the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Intercooler (old and new)

[​IMG]

and the kit out of the box

[​IMG]

Big Brake Kit

Original Brakes
    [​IMG]

New Brakes
    [​IMG]

Kit (which also comes with braided lines as well

[​IMG]

Behind the Wheel.

[​IMG]

Carbon Series Air Intake

Only comment on this is I have already fitted Bonnet Struts, I am not sure this would fit if you need to keep the old rod to hold bonnet open.

[​IMG]

The noisy bit :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suspension

Front

[​IMG]

Rear

[​IMG]

#3 theoldboy, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    rocket3 and silverbawz like this.
  4. Pew.

Pew. Senior Member

Beaut...

theoldboy likes this.
  5. theoldboy

theoldboy Senior Member

And then on to the good news bad news section.

Big Shout out to the team at Louth Volks World who did a great job on the Build

I had the car for a day and a half before my Gearbox issues (Box is dead) It's hardware not software.

Revo warned me as did the garage when the Mount kits are fitted they are pre loaded so will be very hard for first couple hundred miles. Nothing could be further from the truth. Wheel hop was sorted (granted I have not pushed it hard hard) but these bits of kit make a great difference.

Milltek Exhaust I am very very happy with. It burbles when on tickover, its loud when being pushed but its a pleasant noise on normal driving which is just what I asked for. I went for the Black Tip because I like them and cant be bothered with cleaning the chrome tips

Wheels I ordered on line and it was not till i got the invoice I saw the offset was very different to the stock wheels, Came to this forum and you guys explained what this meant and that they would not fit my car. Thanks to the guys who helped me out so I went back to the shop and got them to change the order (and point of note here I did not ask for any specific offset they just guessed). Moral check and double check when buying stuff online.

Wheel Nuts - yes the smallest thing on the Build and caused me the most issues. New Wheels arrived so of course all I wanted to do was fit them... Well that's when the fun started locking nut jumped off the wheel nut and the soft metal inside was damaged. Car was supposed to be going into a local garage to get the suspension fitted that had to be cancelled. So ordered a new locking nut removal tool for next day deliver. Got three wheels off but the 4th was so tight it just stripped the new tool. Oh Boy said me, Then went looking at how I could get it off, After a lot of searches on the web I was going to get a kit to do the work. Then Louth Volks World called me to say they could start on my car. Lucky they had the tool so got it off (not all garages do have these tools, AA/RAC can do it but will charge). Apart from the extra cost and hassle I also had to drive a car with 3 red wheels and one alloy. Yep that's a one off. Also big thanks to @Jim45 and @Jimbobcook for there help in showing where i could get new keys.

The new wheels came with wheel nuts and yes I was able to get them on but they were not long enough. Moral check and double check and don't assume they are ok.

Update on the gearbox situation, basically the gearbox is buggered, I have spoken to Revo, Garage and other guys with this power and the box can take it but mine had a weakness and obviously the 500 bhp just broke it.

Start of Dad Speech

When I first started modding i remember an engineer putting up a very long post about the danger of increasing power on a car (Things Break) and he was right, I was aware and hoped it would not happen (and I could not see any way to test in advance) but it was not to be.

So the warning to you all is if you push for the big power then expect things to happen that you don't want to happen and they will cost you, time effort and money. @Andrewwright gave the following comment on a MK1 Build recently "Do You wanna invest big money into your car that you will never get back is the question?", and from me Are you ready and able to fix expensive things when they brake.

For me the answer was Yes because this is my last build but for those following think long and hard before you start.

A lot of people asked me if the box was covered by Warranty - Simple answer was no as car is 4 years old but in any event Warranty does not cover modified components and as you can see there are lots of very obvious mods on my car. The components may work / may last but they may also not and fail in a small / big way.

To Quote @Andrewwright again "but it would always be a risk but then is opening up the block and replacing part's...could spend thousands and last a few miles...has happened to many people with many different engine's and I'll tell you now the engine builder walks away." simply put the changes are at your request and the parts you agreed to - Its your risk.

End of Dad Speech.

So whats it like to drive, Its what I wanted and a bit more beside.

First impressions are that when I go from Comfort to Cupra mode the difference is now night and day, its much more noticeable than on the stock car. Obvious differences are The change in suspension the Exhaust Note, The gearbox settings are all much sportier. The Engine and Gearbox mounts make a huge difference to keep the power in check and on the road but you know you are in Cupra mode and the car is ready.

More to follow just trying to get it down whilst the car is away being fixed.

#5 theoldboy, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    afcajax73 likes this.
  6. Jimbobcook

Jimbobcook SCN sticker = +20bhp
    Staff Member

Love it!

I like the straight to stage 3 approach lol do you have any stats on what you should be getting power wise once it's all fixed?

How close are you to spending the same amount on mods than to the car price haha

Did you go resonated or non resonated for the milltek?

Cheers

7. xyz

xyz Full Member

Very nice! I went from a 280 to a Golf R and didn’t regret it although the 280 is nimbler on the twisty road! The R is a better all round car for me as it’s as fast in the wet as in the dry. Was going to order another manual three door R but they’ve stopped doing them so now looking at secondhand BMW M2s!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theoldboy likes this.
  8. Maypack

Maypack Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage

That’s a Beast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoldboy likes this.
  9. theoldboy

theoldboy Senior Member

@Jimbobcook

I only went to stage three because i took so long thinking about stage 2 and then 3 came out.

I try not to think about the money but I sat down and said to myself if I wanted a 500 BHP car with low millage (I only have 24k on the clock) and know who has done what to it and when) I would spend a lot more than I have already.

Plus I have no intention of selling her as she has everything i want from the car and i do 5 - 6k a year.

xyz likes this.
  10. xyz

xyz Full Member

VRS have done a wicked 600 BHP 4 wheel drive Cupra - serious animal!

11. theoldboy

theoldboy Senior Member

Yes they are all getting rid of the 3 door cars and slimming down the range.

Cars are a personal choice and for me the 280 was a much better all round car than the Golf, as i said above I do very little millage and very happy with the PS4S this car can do well in the wet.
    I happen to live in a part of the country with very few main roads and lots of twisty A and B roads so this car is great for that and with the upgraded power even better (for me)

xyz likes this.
  12. Pew.

Pew. Senior Member

What open cine did you go for? Had one on my MK4 Ibiza Cupra and miss it now on the FR.

FR is faster but sounds worse that the MK4 haha

13. Jimbobcook

Jimbobcook SCN sticker = +20bhp
    Staff Member

I respect someone with a goal to achieve, how much more do you think you'll need for 500 ponies?

It's not about money when your passionate about it, my other half is just coming round to the fact I like this car lol

Looking forward to seeing this beast in the flesh at some point maybe have a beer or two.

14. xyz

xyz Full Member

Yeah - I fitted PS4Ss to my Golf - an excellent tyre! Had to go all the way to Newcastle from Oxfordshire to find a 280 in the spec I wanted but it was worth it! [​IMG]

15. xyz

xyz Full Member

16. theoldboy

theoldboy Senior Member

I will put it on a rolling road once I get it sorted and done a track day.

Revo quote 450 - 500 according to conditions I have always found Revo understate (just like Seat) figures

On the 4 wheel drive cars the quote the following

0-60 in 3.2 secs
    0 - 100 in 7.18 secs
    30 - 130 in 11.17 secs average (and this is the bit I am after the other two are nice but less important.

And as i said the other day i do go over your way so will arrange to pop in and have a coffee (no beer and driving :))

Jimbobcook likes this.
  17. aaaa_kk

aaaa_kk Full Member

Fantastic build mate! Following your progress!

theoldboy likes this.
  18. Maypack

Maypack Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage

I need to get saving and replace the Continentals on my 300. When I put my foot down I can feel the car fighting for grip and it tends to skip in the corners if ridden hard...and all that’s in the dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. theoldboy

theoldboy Senior Member

And just to add to this thread from me, You can get a 4 wheel conversion (there are a few), You can get more power from other tuners (revo tend to be conservative with their builds) but for me (and this is my build) I like the way you have to Drive a front wheel car, it keeps you awake and on the roads where i live this car is setup to do the job I want it to do.

Many would prefer a different build or car even but its about me enjoying the motor and this one I do.

#19 theoldboy, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  20. theoldboy

theoldboy Senior Member

I replaced my front ones as soon as I could for the same reasons.