Mk1 1.0 restoration

grotmeister

Feb 23, 2007
I've just started a major strip down on my sons ex-1997 Arosa that he trashed. Have got the bodyshell stripped at the moment, engine & gearbox out. I plan to replace, cambelt, water pump, clutch, doors and rebuild the head as there is a ticking valve. I have a new interior from a later 1.4SE to go in as well. Windscreen being replaced on tuesday; £150 quite reasonable I thought. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of major works on this forum so I thought I'd share it. I'll post some photos as I go along. The car ain't worth a carrot but I need a small runaround and its been sitting in my garden for 2 years gathering rust&dust. Wish me luck!!!

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Yay, I like to hear of Mk1s getting some love and attention and not just being shipped off to the scrappies :D

What did he do to it to 'trash' it?

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
When you say you have a ticking valve do you mean your tappets are ticking ? I have the same problem on mine and it irritates the living daylights out of me - I really need to sort it out :(

grotmeister

Feb 23, 2007
what did he do to trash it??? where do I start lol ... both doors dented due to him disconnecting the check straps, broken windscreen, burnt out clutch and dents all over the place, front anti roll bar hanging off and a criminal hammerite job under the bonnet. Thats just for starters :cry:. Anyway well into it now. Green, yes a noisy tappet, may be a bent valve stem not sure till I get it out, will keep you informed....

grotmeister

Feb 23, 2007
oh yeah forgot to mention the seats full of holes from hot rocks and a hammerited dashboard?????

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Just a quick question about your existing interior - what pattern is it and what are you doing with it when you have swapped it over ?

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Ooh no DO post pics up so that we have an example of what not to do ! Im intruiged by the hammerite dashboard too :D

grotmeister

Feb 23, 2007
sorry i flytipped the interior in a forest somwhere so theres no pics, trust me you wouldnt want to see it:D

grotmeister

Feb 23, 2007
enginebay1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I was enquiring about the interior as I was looking for a little project and interiors are a small fortune on ebay - even in terrible condition.

grotmeister

Feb 23, 2007
the front seats were too far gone but I have everything else, its a sort of light grey colour with faint coloured swirls in it if that helps!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.